No announcement yet.

What was your first computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCO UNIX computer at fathers' work which we took home. Later Atari from my sister and followed by buying my own Atari 1024, then later 286 systems and 486, 386 laptop, and 486 server. Followed by Pentium60, P200MMX, AMD, quickly back to Pentium (IV).

Comment

All I remember about my first was that it was a 286 with DOS 2.0 installed. I was 5 years old at the time and loved the Monopoly game it had.

Then I got a Pentium 1 in 1995 or 96. 1 gig hard drive, 16 megs of ram, Windows 95 OS, 133 megahertz, etc. This would be my computer for 11 years and my motto became "You know your computer is old when your school has better ones"

This was before they all got the top of the line best stuff

Anyway, my current computer is as follows:

HP Pavilion a700n

-AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Processor,
      -512 MB PC2700DDR SDRAM
      -80 GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA hard drive
      -CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive, speed 48x32x16x48 max
      -Integrated graphics with 64 MB shared video memory
      -Built-in 9-in-1 memory card reader
      -10/100BaseT network interface
      -High speed 56k modem
      -HP Internet Keyboard and scroller mouse
      -Front Access USB 2.0 and FireWire ports

Not bad for $813, no?

I've also got an external Iomega ZIP drive and LinkSYS wireless network adapter that I've attached to it, and a 40gb secondary hard drive.

Comment

An Acorn A5000 was my first http://www.hollypops.co.uk/acorncomputer/a5000.html and easily the best OS I have ever used, didn't crash once in 3 years.

A P133 followed that, crashed about 5 times in the first week.
        Christopher Padfield
        Web Based Helpdesk
        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

My first computer was a 486 with a 800mb harddrive and god knows how much ram. It ran Windows 3.1.1.

Comment

TI99/4A. Still works great and I still have some of the cartridges that I bought such as Pac-Man ms Pac-man, Donkey Kong, sewermania. I even have the speach synthesizer that pluged into the side so some of the games could talk. Ahhh, those were the days! I think the thing cost $99 at the drug store after $50 rebate.

Last edited by HexOnxOnx; Sat 29 Apr '06, 3:39pm.
            http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

First ever DOS - and well a very crap one it was.

Comment

Our first one was a packer bell that thing only had a 6 gig hard drive i dont know how much ram ot had tho.. we still have it and it works but never use it..

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  This was my first computer: Kaypro II

Purchased around 1983. The cost was over $2000 at the time.
                  I bet you were chuffed to bits with that.

I can't remember my first computer as I was too young. And if anything, it was only used by my dad for his work, as there was little I could do on it! (No games, no internet, or anything of any interest to me back then)

The second PC was a:

Windows 95
                  133MHz Pentium CPU
                  32MB RAM
                  4GB Hard Drive
                  CD-ROM Drive!!!!

I remember being so wowed by the fact that it had a CD-ROM drive. And was like "My computer has a CD-ROM drive!!!" to all of my friends. I'm glad I wasn't filmed saying that.

Comment

From what I can remember, my first ever computer was a Mac Performa 200 16 MHz bought around 1992/1993

http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/classicii.shtml
                    Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

I have a good one, I had an Atari 800XL. In 1993, I know I had a Tandy3000HD because I found some old usenet posts I made in 1993. Which brings up another topic, when was your first usenet post?

Comment

My first computer was a Commodore Vic 20 with its 4K of RAM and a tape drive. Floppy Drives were too expensive. Don't think it had a hard drive or at least they were out of my price range as a 10 year old.

From there I went to a clone of the Apple IIc, to Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, Macintosh II and switched to Windows when Windows 98 came out. I remember taking computer classes in Jr. High. The school didn't want to pay for it so the teacher who wanted to have the class went out and spent about $10,000 out of his pocket for 4 Apple IIe computers, an Apple Lisa and all the software, printers and other necessities.

On a side note, my parents still have a working Pong console.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

dont remember exactly since was 6+ years back
                          it was a 400 mhz pc with 16 mb ram and 512 mb hard drive on a 14" monochrome monitor
                          used to run 95 on same
                          TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

dell

mine was a dell thats about it

Comment

Originally posted by Diplomat View Post
                              mine was a dell thats about it
                              Youngster. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer81 View Post
                                Mine was a Commodore 64
                                Same with tape recorder, game and first "basic" programmation with "graphic functions"

From that point on they never stop built new computers and I keep on buying them
                                Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
                                Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X