Faulty power supply unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty power supply unit?

I'm one of those users who tends to leave their PC on for a week or so at a time. Anyways in the last week i've just been casually using it, when suddenly it just completely hard-reboots, as if someone has press the reset button on the front of my box, except there is no reboot button on the front of my box.

The only reason I can think for this is if the PSU is just cutting off for a split second or something. After this nasty hard reboot happens, I notice all the PC loadup crap (detecting raids, memory, processor etc) goes pretty slow and my PC is slow on loading.

Any ideas folks?
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Could possibly be a heating issue, sure all your fans and whatnot are working?

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
      I'm one of those users who tends to leave their PC on for a week or so at a time.
      Well for one, maybe stop doing that?
      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Creepshow
        Well for one, maybe stop doing that?
        Nothing wrong with letting computers run for weeks/months/ages on end. Its not bad for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
          Nothing wrong with letting computers run for weeks/months/ages on end. Its not bad for them.
          I think it may be better for them. I leave mine on all the time, but mainly because I don't like to wait around for it to boot up in the morning.

If it is the PSU it sounds like a overheating problem (like Zach pointed out). If the fan has died on you, remove the case from the PC and get a couple of house fans blowing on it to keep it cool until you can get a replacement. If you have spare parts laying around you can replace the fan in the PSU of course, I did this in one of mine a few years ago.

Be careful findling inside the PSU though, there are a few places in it that you don't want to stick your fingers.

Comment

Could be bad memory, too. I also had my computer boot up super-slow when a crappy D-Link USB hub was connected. Never again will I buy D-Link hardware. I feel dirty having a D-Link USB/Ethernet adapter connected to my TiVo.

What's the wattage of the PSU, and what stuff do you have in your computer?
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I leave my computer on 24/7, i have since i was 23, i am 31 now, so i dont see that as a problem. It sounds like a heat issue to me..
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Install motherboard monitor and keep an eye on the cpu, gpu, hd, fan rpm's, voltage, etc. The dashboard feature is great. You can also set options to warn you if it drops below x, or goes above y.

I use it because I have my PC on. I don't even know how to turn it off. If it goes off it is because I add new hardware or there's a power failure.

Dashboard has saved me once already when a fan went dead and rpm went to 0 and temp in the case went higher and resulted in the cpu cooling itself with warm air.

Comment

Nifty little program there Floris. I can't seem to find my Mobo in the MBM list though.

I had a quick look inside of the case and I see "MS-7185 K8n Version 1.0". After a look on the official MSI Computer Corp. website I narrowed it down to:

1) http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...LI-FI&class=mb

Or

2) http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...SLI-F&class=mb

I'm pretty sure it's 1) due to the model number naming. Anwyays, my model number is not in the list and incompatible with that program. Any suggestions?

Comment

Hmm seems my manufacturer do their own utlity:

Anyways I'm taking it that if it says my CPU is running at 127 and that value isn't changing, and the system temperature is 38degrees. Surely 127degrees is a mistake?

Comment

127F ? I hope... Otherwise your processor is over 250F

Comment

It seems very strange that the manufacturers application would give false readings.

Comment

Are you sure its in C?

Comment

Could be a damaged thermal sensor.
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I also have this, the BIOS > hardware monitor > temps show both F & C and the program shows one of my CPU's is 127, but CPU0 = the proper sensor and reads 28 degrees C, up to 35 (unstressed).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X