Googlebot... changed identifier???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Googlebot... changed identifier???

Anyone else notice googlebot is missing from your "who's online" list??? I have heard rumors that the googlebots have changed their identifiers. Anyone confirm what I am seeing?

I saw a googlebot on my site earlier, so doesn't look like it.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Well google apparently still has a "few" of the old bots out there... but word on the street is most have changed.

Comment

I've not noticed a change, personally. Google has visited, the GoogleBot has been identified, so it seems to be the same here. If there is a new bot available, I am sure vBulletin will have it identified and we'll update the listing so it is identified through who's online.

Comment

Yes, the User-Agent string for GoogleBot changed with the switch to their new infrastructure.

See Matt Cutts' Answer to Question #2 for More Info

Comment

Old: Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.google.com/bot.html)
            New: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)

Both have the word Googlebot in them which is what vBulletin is looking for unless you modified the default spiders.xml file.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I have a "Google Spider" in my users online right now. So there is a bot named Google Spider for sure
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

still the same old IP Address but identifiers are changed.
                Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)
                TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

Add both + adsense and you can identify all three different kind of bots

They changed to be more compliant to recommendations on how to be identified with useragents?

Comment

and you can identify all three different kind of bots
                    google images
                    google mobile
                    google spider
                    google adsense

4 bots i know of (maybe some more if others know)
                    TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X