Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you get your forum to where it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just opened another forum which has 95 threads, 540 posts and 34 members. It's only been open 48 hours so it's still in the early stages

Comment

http://www.powerrangerempire.com/community/

Its been a long haul. The forums originally started in March of 2004. In May of 2005, when the site had about 3,600 members, the webhost fubar'd everything and the whole site (minus a few database backups) was lost.

Took a few months off and re-opened it in July of 2005. Its barely the start of May and the site currently has:

Threads: 5,526, Posts: 212,594, Members: 3,720

Its been a very popular website to say the least. The site has accomplished more in less time than it originally did. So yeah I'm happy.

It deals with the kids show Power Rangers and its counterpart, the Japanese version of the show its based off of called Sentai. There is also general discussion and more adult aimed forums for those wanting to talk about more real-world stuff without kids or people seeing it that dont want to.

I'm very active with the forum, and it has a dedicated group of people. Its been alot of trial and error thats for sure. I take what I learn that works and doesnt work, and apply it the best I can. On average the site gets about 20 new members a day.

Comment

http://www.dow-gamers.net/vb/?styleid=12
        Threads: 12,388
        Members: 1,373

No advertisement, just word of mouth through the gaming communites.
        Started as an Americas Army clan thing, that branched into WoW, + other games..

About 90 clan members that play Americas Army
        About 240 that Play WoW
        the rest are just visitors , allies, friends etc..

Comment

URL: www.totallypsp.com
          Desc: A Sony PSP Gaming Forum
          Members: 190 (although 40 or so were lost in a system crash and only some re-registered)
          Threads: 282

I used a company called strawberry soup to promote the site, I found them on ebay. I dont know how much traffic came from their efforts but it certainly seemed to help. I also have a banner for my site in my sig on another massive site I moderate on and im sure that has helped a lot. Im always on the look out for ways to attract more people to the site... They seem to register but very few post... same old story lol Cheers all...

Comment

Re: How did you...

Hi there,

one of my forums...

An Apple OS X help and community forum !

http://www.mac-help.com

Statistics

Members: 683
            Threads: 781

Officially opened May 2004, but I have only started actively promoting it in the last 12 months.

Add lots of good content to your site, and possibly sign up for Adsense...then hopefully the Googlebots will come and index you.

Ironically, if you search msn.com for 'mac help forums' I am in the number 1 slot!

On Google using the same terms, I am at the top of page two.

Getting the 'spiders' to your site, in my opinion, is crucial to help drive traffic to your site.

I also wrote some software, that then was linked to/published on the main apple.com website. This helped with pushing me up the Google ranking system.

I get about 1-5 new members most days !

regards

Ric
            www.mac-help.com

Comment

how did you get 34 members in 48hours of being open ????

Originally posted by JoyB View Post
              I've just opened another forum which has 95 threads, 540 posts and 34 members. It's only been open 48 hours so it's still in the early stages

Comment

new site

http://forums.melscamera.com
                Photography forum
                opened: January 26 2007
                Threads: 48
                Members: 17

New site - my first time trying out a forum site. I made it with the intention of getting customers to my online store. Advertising is google adwords and adsense plus posting on a few webrings and friends, etc..
                hopefully it will take off i think the adwords is a good way to get users but of course it does cost you some money but will be worth it in the long run i think..

Comment

Hi just an update...

I have been using Google adwords, just a small $£ campaign per day...

Members: 1,605
                  Threads: 2,164

I've gained over a thousand members in less than a year !
                  www.mac-help.com

Comment

Site: http://www.unitedpunjab.co.uk/
                    Forum Type: Regional.
                    Date Opened: Jan, 2007
                    Threads: 7,599
                    Members: 10,485

I and my friends were mass banned on another forum so we started this one.
                    In a little more than a year the community has grown a lot but at times I miss the small community feel that was in the beginning.
                    UNP - Auto Forum India - Playway

Comment

Originally posted by melscamera View Post
                      That's not very difficult to do. Even my crappy board managed to get that.
                      Last edited by Quillz; Thu 1 Feb '07, 10:43pm.
                      Forums

Comment

Originally posted by melscamera View Post
                        I run another forum so I invited a few of the members to join my new one

It's been open 9 months now and we have over 46,000 posts and 301 members.

Comment

Originally posted by JoyB View Post
                          I run another forum so I invited a few of the members to join my new one

It's been open 9 months now and we have over 46,000 posts and 301 members.
                          That's pretty good. Good luck with your board.
                          Forums

Comment

Site: www.bmx-forum.com
                            Forum Type: Global.
                            Date Opened: 27 Feb, 2002
                            Threads: 54,823
                            Members: 18,784

Never abuse your users by showing annoying ads just for a few $$!

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                              That's pretty good. Good luck with your board.
                              Thank you

Comment

Used FTP

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X