Online Radio: Live Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Radio: Live Streaming

I'm thinking of setting up my own "live" radio show with a friend of mine. This is purely for fun, nothing commercial at all.

The idea is that once or twice a week, my friend and I will play a one to two-hour DJ set (we both DJ at clubs on weekends) that can be heard "live" from a website stream. As in, we'll be performing the set in real-time as user listen in.

My question is, does anybody know of any software that will allow me to host a live stream on my server? Preferably something that is free and/or open-source and easy to set up and use. If you have any experience and have any hints or tips, that will be greatly appreciated as well.
    :)

Shoutcast

You can just play your tracks on Winamp and you (or the other DJ) will stream to the shoutcast server hosted on your dedicated box, for example. Then your listeners connect to the shoutcast server.

Works well, especially for the DJ who might have limited upstream bandwidth and wouldn't normally be able to host such a service themselves.
    HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
    -
    Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

Anyone knows a good shoutcast server at low price ? I dont have dedicated server yet.
      StylWolny.pl - Polskie Forum Dyskusyjne | guziki wieszaki producent - Bonetti.pl
      Join Tattoo Group Now

Comment

Originally posted by sensimilla
        Anyone knows a good shoutcast server at low price ? I dont have dedicated server yet.
        There are free hosters out there. The rest charge on a combination of the maximum number of listeners allowed and the sample rate of your broadcast. A lot of listeners and CD quality audio can be expensive.

If you want to do more than just stream music and premade MP3 files, you will need additional software than just your WINAMP and a Shoutcast server. Something like Pirate Radio.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

http://www.icecast.org/ is a good alternative to Shoutcat. We've been using for a fair while now and works very well...

hugh
          Please vote for my enhancement requests: 1, 2, 3 and 4...

Comment

Originally posted by hugh_
            http://www.icecast.org/ is a good alternative to Shoutcat. We've been using for a fair while now and works very well...

hugh
            How about the setup? We'll be using a set of turntables, and a hardware DJ mixer, in addition to using Native Instrument's Traktor software (4 channels total). Does anyone have any insight as to how I can stream the combined outputs from everything into a single streamable signal?
            :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
              I'm thinking of setting up my own "live" radio show with a friend of mine. This is purely for fun, nothing commercial at all.

The idea is that once or twice a week, my friend and I will play a one to two-hour DJ set (we both DJ at clubs on weekends) that can be heard "live" from a website stream. As in, we'll be performing the set in real-time as user listen in.

My question is, does anybody know of any software that will allow me to host a live stream on my server? Preferably something that is free and/or open-source and easy to set up and use. If you have any experience and have any hints or tips, that will be greatly appreciated as well.
              Shoutcast is your best bet. (Although, find a streaming provider's server unless your computer can take it.)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X