yet another spammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another spammer

I'm wondering if there is any spammers that have text recognition software that lets them bypass the image verification step when registering.

Recently an adbot calling itself 'MikeyBoy82' registered on my site w/image verification & email verification turned on and started spamming video links. I think they did it automated because you can search google for that screenname and they've hit thousands of forums

Has anybody else come across this sophisticated of a bot?

In it's 1st post it even had a customized 'hello my name is ....' post then the spam links after that

Nope, hasnt happen to me yet..
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I found 1500 results on googles, this person or what ever has been around on alot of boards.

I thought it was only 3.0.7, but it is any version and mostly about that frog?
      *EDIT*
      This should be reported if it has not been already. It seems to go into vbulletin and some google group site. That does seem bad if it can bypass that?
      Last edited by Jose Amaral Rego; Mon 13 Mar '06, 9:32am.

Comment

So that's who that member on my board is. Ah well, I actually like the videos it posts, so I won't ban it.
        Forums

Comment

Maybe it is testing you and then it will post more and more, then flood you with XXX and garbage. Wait til you see all kinds of bots that do the same. I am wondering, what email did it use to register on your boards?

Comment

Originally posted by NicksForum.net
            Maybe it is testing you and then it will post more and more, then flood you with XXX and garbage. Wait til you see all kinds of bots that do the same. I am wondering, what email did it use to register on your boards?
            On my board, it used the e-mail address [email protected].
            Forums

Comment

exact same email here. I just figured I'd post up about this because I'm surprised it hasn't been flagged as a bot already

Comment

How are you sure its a bot when it could be a member who is posting, on lots of forums to advertise there site or something. because I doubt a bot could then confirm a gmail email address to become a registered user.
                Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

Do a google search, it will show 1500 topics on user name. I have not tried yahoo or msn to see if results differ. This person has been busy in a very short time and seems to like vbulletin and google group forums & Blogs.

Comment

Originally posted by hornstar6969
                    How are you sure its a bot when it could be a member who is posting, on lots of forums to advertise there site or something. because I doubt a bot could then confirm a gmail email address to become a registered user.
                    I suppose if it's spamming video links that lead to a site, that might indicate it is a real spammer who's just going around spamming his site link on loads of sites. It could be a user that is registering first to bypass the registration code - then using a script after that to post links on the sites he registered at. That might be one possibility to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by hornstar6969
                      On my board, I use instant registration. I don't require e-mail validation. That's how it likely got onto mine.
                      Forums

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's a bot because
                        1) as mentioned earlier, the same user is on hundreds if not thousands of vB's
                        2) the site he always links to he owns. the real posts I can find by that person are all toward customizing their site and custom coding jobs
                        3) the IP they registered from I've had blocked for get requests for atleast 6 months, but not post requests. so they used an open proxy to get on to the site, then a dynamic IP to post spam
                        Last edited by Rolla; Tue 14 Mar '06, 5:56am.

Comment

Well, I honestly didn't know that "mikeyguy82" was a spam bot until this thread. It certainly wasn't annoying like I envisioned a spam bot, usually only posting once a week.
                          Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X