vBulletin + CMS - Your Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin + CMS - Your Thoughts

It's been noted that Jelsoft/vBulletin is working on a CMS for vBulletin, however little has been said and with reason. The CMS thread alone here in the support forums has had 300+ replies more so off and on about the questionable release of the software.

What I'd like to ask is what specifically would someone like to see in a vBulletin-Integrated CMS?

I've talked with quite a few community owners that own private communities and some that own public ones, however the needs vary from one to another, as I would expect.

One thing that has been mentioned is that they want something like vBAdvanced, but not like vBAdvanced.

If you were given the choice right now, what would you specifically like to see added to a CMS software?

(Please keep in mind, I am asking this as an open question. I don't want to turn this into a debate about Jelsofts future releases or current development status of their CMS, I am asking this as I know what'd I'd like to have, but would like to know what others feel would be a good addition)

I have a project rattling around my head and a few things that come to mind are:

- News and article management. I'd like a list of news and stories on the front page with links to read more. Basic catagorization and seperation between news and articles although I imagine the same backend could be used for both.

- News and Articles can be created using a full wysiwyg editor like we have here on the forum with the option to save.

- Usergroup permissons for writing, editing active and non-active stories, publishing, etc.

- The option of having an article show up on a certain date/time.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

make it EASY TO USE. i've tried a few different CMS's and they all seem really unnecessarily complicated. i'd love it if VB came out with a CMS.

Comment

Originally posted by KingSpade
        It's been noted that Jelsoft/vBulletin is working on a CMS for vBulletin, however little has been said and with reason. The CMS thread alone here in the support forums has had 300+ replies more so off and on about the questionable release of the software.

What I'd like to ask is what specifically would someone like to see in a vBulletin-Integrated CMS?

I've talked with quite a few community owners that own private communities and some that own public ones, however the needs vary from one to another, as I would expect.

One thing that has been mentioned is that they want something like vBAdvanced, but not like vBAdvanced.

If you were given the choice right now, what would you specifically like to see added to a CMS software?

(Please keep in mind, I am asking this as an open question. I don't want to turn this into a debate about Jelsofts future releases or current development status of their CMS, I am asking this as I know what'd I'd like to have, but would like to know what others feel would be a good addition)
        I think vBadvanced is the best portal solution now, it really is a great piece of work. But I want for the vBcms a solution alot like Invision.dynamic is coming to be and/or a cms similar to the feature set of (http://www.justpressplay.net)

I would really like to see the CMS be released as a community framework, being as open and free as possible, having nothing really part of the core, but part of containment modules that can be changed, removed, or manipulated at any time.

I also would like to see a very flexible article system, that again, has the ability to be changed extremely easily by the administrator. (That means like, I would like to be able to add custom fields to the article without any code modification.) I would like to be able to clone and manipulate the system to easily mold it, let's say into a reviews system with again, no code modifications, because of the flexibility and ability to manipulate the modules freely by just activating, deactivating, and adding new jigsaws to the modules themselves.

And, to finish this off for the time being, I would like administration to be easily customizable. These days, almost all browsers support the AJAX functioning that has been popping up lately. I would love to see an administration panel where I can move menus, blocks, forms, editors, settings, and so on in a widget fasion (like if you've ever used the google news thing or have used Konfabulator.)

Comment

Yes, and i am sure there are 1000s of others as well

This list is going to be pretty lengthy/big.
          TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

I use vBadvanced and i find it great to use, and easy to install.
            But i would love too see a site powered by a vBulletin CMS.

Is there a beta site around that has it, that we could take a look at? Or is it still in development?
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Article system and wiki is what I want on top of the regulat CMS features.

Comment

I figured the list would be extensive, however, I was more or less looking for a base set of features .

As for vBA, that was mainly the reason I wask asking the above as many are satisfied with vBA, but would like something more .

Comment

I've installed vBDrupal. it's a pain to set up and is very bare. (If you can code PHP or have someone that will do it for you, install modules unlimited flexibility) seems to be doing what I need, with some problems. But it worths fairly well and intergrates with vBulletin fine.

All Drupal content is stored in the vBulletin database, comments are posted to the forums and users can use their account on the vBdrupal content, with usergroup permissions, ect.

The support is very lacking, but it's a free product and if you know your way around Drupal then you can manage with vBDrupal. Modules work the same for both. For anyone that doesn't know of Drupal. TheOnion.com uses it for their website, as do many others.
                  Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

I would love to see a CMS that can work independently from the vb if needed .

Also to have the CMS as the core when combined with vb ,unlike the case with vbadvanced where everything is built around the vb core .

Also Would like to see some more features like review system ,news section ,more user interactive features ...ect. basically I would like to see something that work for a personal or corporate use ,as the case now with vb.
                    I'm stuck in the Skys ...

Comment

I'd actually like to see a CMS with total flexibility. A CMS to me is basically the ability to create custom content management pages and provides the tools to create a management system.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X