Microsoft: No Backdoors in Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft: No Backdoors in Vista

Responding to a UK government request, Microsoft says that it will not be adding any kind of backdoor into Windows Vista, which might allow law enforcement officials bypass the system's encryption-based controls. The UK had been asking for a backdoor so that it could access information stored on Vista-formatted hard drives owned by criminals.

"Microsoft has not and will not put 'backdoors' into Windows," a Microsoft representative said. Niels Ferguson, a cryptography expert at Microsoft took the argument a bit further late last week in a blog posting. "The suggestion is that we are working with governments to create a back door so that they can always access BitLocker-encrypted data," he wrote. "Over my dead body."

BitLocker is a new feature in Windows Vista that allows the user to encrypt an entire hard drive. Previously known as Full Drive Encryption, BitLocker will protect data on a disk from being read if the PC is stolen or lost.

Read More
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

That's good I guess.
    On the other hand, they would say that, wouldn't they?
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Of course
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I dunno if i would believe them....They can say whatever they want!!

Comment

Always assume there is a back door.

Comment

Exactly right!!!!!!

Knowing how Dirty MS has gotton,they are just saying that probably to try and throw people off!!!!

Comment

These days its really hard for businesses to get away with the saying one thing and going against it.

If a backdoor is found, you can be sure it will not be let go quietly. Some M$ haters have to come to terms with the fact that Microsoft is a multinational company under the eyes of many stakeholders. They are not going to be fast to jeapordize that by making an official press release stating clearly one thing, and then doing something unethical like...lieing

But, that is not to say that they will not make available some conveniences that will allow them validate the integrity of the operating system and computer. They just won't let the government utilize these conveniences at their free will. (as stated).

Comment

I can't drum up the reference for it right now, but I remember reading something at least two years ago about how an act relating specifically to the DHS mandated by law that backdoors had to be built into OSes for government access (using the proper warrant, of course). Curiously, never heard much about it after that.
                "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

Forget about micro**** and use Linux, if you care about security and privacy.
                  StylWolny.pl - Polskie Forum Dyskusyjne | guziki wieszaki producent - Bonetti.pl
                  Join Tattoo Group Now

Comment

Originally posted by sensimilla
                    I gave it a try, I really did. I spent weeks searching for drivers on the net and trying to get the damn thing to do what I wanted it to do but in the end I was back on XP.

Maybe I should try more distros, hard to do on dial-up... On the desktop linux hasn't worked for me up to this point...maybe it'll be up to par in a few more years.

Comment

Originally posted by sensimilla
                      Right, linux is so much more secure

Comment

A box, be it windows or a distro. of linux is only as secure as you make it, it's as simple as that.

Comment

I thought MS was required by the US Government to do this?
                          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Microsoft is a multi-national company. It's not impossible for them to distribute different versions for US and the UK. If I recall correctly, current versions of Windows have a built-in private key for NSA.
                            :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                              It's not impossible for them to distribute different versions for US and the UK.
                              What is Vista Basic N then? It is available only in the EU and doesn't include Windows Media Player.

Quite easy for them to make different versions for different regions. They have been doing it for over 20 years now.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Working...
                              X