russian spammers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• russian spammers?

Hi is anyone else having any probs of late with users signing up with russian domain emails and spamming there forums with there crap?

I'm having it happen on my forum and have seen it on a few others but the big thing is, is it real people doing it or have they found a way to make a bot able to sign up and post the stuff?

Yes I had this problem on a forum I use to run. I thinks it's real people because they know every trick to get around spam blockers I put up.
    Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

I have not had a problem with them, but it might be a good idea to enable member moderation. They cannot get around that unless you let them.

Comment

I've had this problem a few times, my spam email folder is allways from russian domains. Sometimes the messeges are too!

Now I just delete them straight away... thats the best way .

Comment

You could block their domain email address in User Banning Options so that they can not register.

Comment

No problems with russians on my site at all..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Vodka anyone

Russians, na never seen them in these parts.

Comment

Unfortunately, I believe Russia essentially has no laws regarding spam or piracy, which is why many file sharing services are based in Russia. Anyways, couldn't the ban filter be set to accept any *.*.ru domains?
                Forums

Comment

You could do that but there is nothing stoping Russians from using Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail or any other free email service.

It might stop some of it but not all.

Would be best to find the russian IP address ranges and ban all of them at the class a or b level.

Comment

Originally posted by bplinson
                    You could do that but there is nothing stoping Russians from using Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail or any other free email service.

It might stop some of it but not all.

Would be best to find the russian IP address ranges and ban all of them at the class a or b level.
                    How does this stop them using proxys ?

Comment

got a other now spamming links to some ColinsJeans or something lol. Btw i know how to ban them nut you can never stop people signing up again and spam. and turning on mod system for sign up is pointless as you dont know whos going spam to you give them posting rights.

Topic was just asking if anyone else as seen the uping of span on forums lately by them.

Comment

You could look for characteristics that are common in the spammers and not in other people, such as a lack of profile customization, specific style emails, etc.

Comment

The trouble is, sometimes some people will do a search to see how many other sites are running the same thing as them, and target them. Even though you can turn the mod new members first after they join on. To all intence and purposes they win. As they force you to do things you don't really want too do. Which is they aim sometimes.

Comment

anyone have the email adddress they use or their IP so we can pre-ban
                            John

Comment

Your not going to be able to ban them that easy by adding the odd email and IP address they use. Do they have access to use Hotmal or Gmail or MSN for that matter, if so banning emails it pointless. And imagine how many IP's they have from different ISP's.

Plus like others they will just use a proxy

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X