X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.5.x

A warning to lovers of Thai food!!

I know this is long, but I have to get it out of my system before it drives me nuts. I hope this serves as a warning to all to not eat Thai food.

This tale begins with Long Bean Chicken ordered at a Thai restaurant on January 18th.

My girlfriend, a notoriously light eater, decided to box up her leftover food. Unknown to me, she put the takeout box in her purse. Then forgot about it. The next morning she woke up, found the box on its side, and the juices all over her purse, which also contained her cell phone.

With her cell phone dead, and Valentine’s Day closing in, I thought it would be nice to get her that new pink Razr V3 she had been eyeballing. The only way to get them from a carrier was to order a new plan or pay an outrageous price, so I turned to good old eBay, looked at the various vendors, selected one that had all Positive feedback and clicked the “Buy it now!” button. I even paid for expedited overnight shipping since she was without a cellphone.

2 days went by and I had still not received any tracking info, nor had I received the phone, so I contacted the seller. He was rude in his reply, and then came up with some BS story about his store having been robbed and waiting on an insurance check so he could purchase new stock and promised to have my phone in the mail by Friday.
    I asked if he was going to return the $15 extra I had paid for Expedited Overnight Shipping or make sure I got it by Saturday.
    He said, “Why would I refund that? Also, Saturday delivery costs more.”

At this point, I was too far into it, so I thought I would just wait on the phone to get here and leave him bad feedback for lateness, BS excuses and rudeness.

The phone arrived and it was not as described at all. It was 2-tone pink and it wouldn’t accept the SIM card. It was taken to the Cingular store and even they couldn’t get it to work.

I emailed the seller and asked for information to return the phone, then looked at his feedback. In the week and a half since I had purchased 18 of the 20 people who had left feedback had left negative, all with the same problem I was having, and he was being rude in his replies. I waited 2 days and didn’t get a reply, so I decided the best course of action was to file a Paypal dispute.

The seller offered to give me back my money less a 15% restocking fee.

I told him to get ****ed, that I was not paying a 15% restocking fee on something that was not only a cheap Chinese knockoff (it even had Chinese pictograms on the keypad!!!), but that had a battery so overcharged (USED) that it had swollen to the point that the battery door wouldn't even fit on any more.

PayPal told him he had to refund the full amount and I was required to mail the item back with a delivery confirmation and enter the tracking number in the PayPal Dispute Resolution Ticket.

So yesterday I march my happy little ass to the Waikiki Post Office, all happy that after 2 months I am merely days away from getting my money back.

First, I go to the Automated Postal Center supply box and they are out of Flat Rate Boxes. The clerk behind the desk says they have been out for days, sorry but we live on an island.
    Still in a good mood about my money, I didn't even bother to remind him that any kind of competent purchaser would also be aware of that fact, and the fact that we're a tourist destination so have heavier postal demands, and order accordingly. I just grabbed a Priority Mail envelope to stuff the box in ago go about my business.

Well, I get in line behind a Japanese lady who appears totally clueless and a chatty local Haole. She engages me in conversation, talks about the weather, about mailing things, constantly glancing towards my single item to be mailed.
    Ten minutes later (not exaggerating) the Japanese lady has finally managed to print postage for her 4 items. The local Haole woman goes to machine and spreads out her FIFTEEN ****ING ITEMS and starts SLOWLY weighing and printing her postage while I wait behind her with my ONE ****ING ITEM THAT SHE HAD BEEN STEALING GLANCES AT THE ENTIRE TIME WE WERE CHATTING.

I don't know about you, but the way i was raised, if there is someone behind you in a line that has only one or two items and you have FIFTEEN ****ING ITEMS, it's generally considered polite to at least offer them the opportunity to go ahead of you and not have to wait while you slowly process your FIFTEEN ****ING ITEMS.

When she finished and told me "Have a nice day!" as she was departing, I gave her the dirtiest look my face could summon.

So, that part of the adventure over, I weighed and printed postage, paying the extra charge for delivery confirmation since PayPal required it, all in less than a minute.

The Haole ***** From Rudeville was far from my mind as I happily contemplated being that much closer to the return of my beloved $262.58. I was merely an address away from starting the Phone From Hell on its journey back to the Lying Bastard from LA, so I began to look in earnest for a pen with which to address the package. There was none to be found in the entire Waikiki Post Office (the busiest post office in Hawaii).

I looked at the line stretching out the door (did I mention that Waikiki has the busiest post office in Hawaii?) and thought to myself that I only needed
    a pen, which the post office normally has all over the place, so I walked up the side of the line and politely waited for one of the two clerks on duty to finish working with his customer. When he finished, still happy about being that much closer to getting my money back, I politely asked if he had a pen I could borrow. His response? "You need to wait in line". Did I mention before that the line was stretching out the door? Or that Waikiki has the busiest post office in Hawaii, and that there were only 2 clerks on duty?
    Of course, my response was the only natural one under such circumstances, "You have got to be ****ing kidding me!?!? You want me to wait in THAT line to borrow a PEN?!?!?!".
    Luckily, before the clerk could reply, a kindly man in line gave him a dirty look and offered me the use of his own pen. I thanked him profusely, addressed my package, returned his pen, again thanking him, dropped my package in the package box, headed out the door and started my motorcycle, dreamily fantasizing about the return of my money.

At this point you're probably thinking, "That's not so bad! What the hell is he on about?". Well, you're only thinking that because the story is not yet over. Grab a soda or something, and let me finish before you pass judgment on my tale of woe!!!

So, when we left our hero, he was riding his motorcycle home, thinking of all the Reese's Pieces he could buy when his fortune was returned to him...

I got home and immediately entered the tracking number on the receipt, which I had already double-checked against the label on my package. On my way home I had stopped by my friend's dive shop and, as usual, got put to work unloading gear and tanks, so it was rather late when I got there, so the package should already have been scanned into the system. So I checked. You can check, too.

http:www.usps.com 04037644478016017718

As you can see, the package I mailed yesterday went back in time somehow, and was delivered to Santa Cruz at 6:19 AM on January 30th, rather than Van Nuys, where it was addressed.

Now, I didn't think that was plausible explanation, but it was the only possible explanation if you believe the old saw:

Eliminate every other possibility and whatever is left, no matter how implausible, is the only possible answer.

Well, the only other possibility was that the networked system had somehow mistakenly issued me a USED tracking number. Given that no programmer worth his salt would have written something that would issue a number without checking to see if it had already been issued, Time Travel was the only possible explanation. I knew that the package delivery was getting competitive, but I honestly think that USPS has the upper hand. FedEx will never be able to top packages delivered before they were ever mailed.

So this morning I got up and immediately called the Track & Confirm Help Center to see if they could please send a letter back in time to January 29th, the day before my package was delivered to the wrong address, and let the carrier know he was about to make a mistake, thus getting my package to the right address.

They said that they had not been experimenting with time travel (yeah, right!), that I was insane (ok, I'll give them that), that their system had somehow issued a duplicate number in err (see above) and that there was nothing they could do about it.
    When I explained that their mistake was going to cost me a LOT of Reese's Pieces, they said that even though they had issued a bad number, and even though I had paid extra for the Delivery Confirmation, that they were not liable for any monies (or Reese's Pieces) I lost because of their error.

Thankfully PayPal was more helpful. They asked that I fax the receipt from the APC to them showing the tracking number and they would take care of it.

Anyway, if you decide to eat Thai food, be careful. It causes nothing but heartache and aggravation!
    Webmaster:
    @forumz
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

OUCH Martin..all I can say is OUCH >_<". Murphy's Law really hit you hard.

I hope everything is 100% solved
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• corriewf
      • Dec 2004

So what were the ****? I am gonna guess that it has to stand for suck.... So " FIFTEEN SUCKING ITEMS. ", which makes that lady in front of you sicker then I thought....

Its nice how Paypal worked with you. I have had bad and good luck with them.

Additional warning: Thai food also gives people gas....

Not that I know...

Comment

• Vile
        • Jul 2002
        • 3.6.x

Wow...that was a long story...

I thought I was having a bad week, but it seems as if you topped it.

Sorry to hear about all the stuff that happend, but I hope it gets sorted soon.

BTW, I think I was also (nearly) screwed by the same seller as you, but I suppose it could be just about any seller considering how big eBay is....
        Webmaster / Administrator
        www.MegaGames.com
        www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Martin
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Vile
          Wow...that was a long story...

I thought I was having a bad week, but it seems as if you topped it.

Sorry to hear about all the stuff that happend, but I hope it gets sorted soon.

BTW, I think I was also (nearly) screwed by the same seller as you, but I suppose it could be just about any seller considering how big eBay is....
          This guy?
          Webmaster:
          @forumz

Comment

• Quillz
            • Nov 2004
            • 5.0.X

This is why I eat pizza.
            Forums

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Martin
              Heh...interesting

No longer a registered user
              *whistles quietly*
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• DirectPixel
                • Jan 2002
                • 3.5.x

See? All this time, I've been telling everybody how PayPal rocks when it comes to these types of situations, and nobody believes me...

I've had a similar situation happen to me. PayPal was awesome in handling everything for me, and with just a couple of emails with them, I had everything settled for all sides.
                :)

Comment

• tgillespie
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                  See? All this time, I've been telling everybody how PayPal rocks when it comes to these types of situations, and nobody believes me...

I've had a similar situation happen to me. PayPal was awesome in handling everything for me, and with just a couple of emails with them, I had everything settled for all sides.
                  PayPal has to side with the buyer. Without buyers, you have no market.

I find it kind of disturbing that an employee of vBulletin used such strong language on company forums. I feel your frusturation, but is there really a need for so many F words?
                  Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• DirectPixel
                    • Jan 2002
                    • 3.5.x

In my case, I was the seller.
                    :)

Comment

• Martin
                      • Apr 2000
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by tgillespie
                      I find it kind of disturbing that an employee of vBulletin used such strong language on company forums. I feel your frusturation, but is there really a need for so many F words?
                      Is Frustration not an "F" word?

~bes offended~
                      Webmaster:
                      @forumz

Comment

• tgillespie
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                        In my case, I was the seller.
                        Curious as to what the issue was?

Is Frustration not an "F" word?
                        It sure is. Good job Martin.
                        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Martin swore a whole lot more than the filter got to it doubtful anyone else will notice though

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

Hey Martin...if you wanted to be more explicit next time, just curse in Hawaiian

Comment

• Vile
                              • Jul 2002
                              • 3.6.x

This guys name is familar, but not the same crook that tried to screw me...It's sad how eBay is full with so many of them.
                              Webmaster / Administrator
                              www.MegaGames.com
                              www.MGForums.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎