Microsoft Ships Feature-Complete Vista CTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Ships Feature-Complete Vista CTP

As promised, Microsoft delivered its first feature-complete Windows Vista Community Technical Preview (CTP) this week, build 5308. The February 2006 CTP includes a number of Vista features aimed specifically at businesses. This is the first CTP to focus largely on business users, Microsoft said.

"Windows Vista is as much, if not more, a business release," said Brad Goldberg, general manager of Windows Client product management, during a conference call with journalists and enthusiast Web site operators. According to Goldberg, Vista will make networks more secure and simplify how businesses complete complicated tasks, such as logging onto Virtual Private Networks (VPNs). Microsoft is also lowering permission levels so that some tasks, such as setting up printers, can be accomplished by non-administrators.

Read More
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

I will go bunkers staring at which of the 8 releases I should pick from , lol.

Comment

Only three are really targeted at home users; Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate. Of those three, Home Basic will be similar to WinXP Home, Home Premium will be similar to WinXP Professional, and Ultimate will be similar to WinXP Media Center Edition (Pro + extra media content.)

Keep in mind that both Windows Starter 2007 and Enterprise Edition aren't retail versions. The former is only available to OEM providers in poor, third-world countries, and the latter is only available to corporations that are MSDN subscribers.

That leaves Business Edition, which, as the name says, is targeted towards businesses.

So, in the end, it's really not going to be that complicated to choose, especially since only three at most will likely me retail.
      Forums

Comment

It comes down to the best I can get as a student that supports everything Tablet Edition of XP does, given I'll be installing it on my tablet.

XP Tablet Edition = Professional + Tablet stuff.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
          It comes down to the best I can get as a student that supports everything Tablet Edition of XP does, given I'll be installing it on my tablet.

XP Tablet Edition = Professional + Tablet stuff.
          I would guess Home Premium or Ultimate might works out for you. Just pure speculation, of course. There will likely be a special Vista Tablet Edition, though.
          Forums

Comment

I asked somebody internal at Microsoft to tablet testing and they said that Vista will support tablet PCs, which implies to me that any edition you would reasonably install on a tablet would support it.

Right now, you can't even buy XP tablet edition; you have to get a restore disc from the manufacturer which is, of course, a lame disk image and not an installer. The only way to get an installer a la normal Windows XP is to be an MSDN subscriber.

It better let me install on two computers, though, or I might not get it at all out of spite for that reason (my desktop and tablet). Possibly other computers in the house.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Vista does indeed support tablet pc. Its been in every build so far and has improved every time.
              Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

I wish they would have pulled Windows Defender, i really dont like it.
                I like the way the tabs auto populate when filling in the product code, that was always a pain.

For a good laugh download the Windows Vista Beta Team - Holiday Video (Small) with Subtitles
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Notice the two power option applets in the control panel in build 5308, dont think of reporting it as a bug, i already did
                  Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Sun 26 Feb '06, 7:06am.
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I downloaded the videos when they were first put up.
                    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment