Teaching position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching position

I feel that I am quite qualified to teach an introductory course on Java. That's great, but the problem is I'm still in college; my junior year getting my BS. So where could I try applying for such a job? It would not likely be a full-time job, but something to do at nights or part-time to earn a bit of extra money (and as a teacher, definitely just a bit).

I've already asked my college, but they have a strict requirement that you have a BS before they'll consider hiring you. I haven't found enough information on teaching at community colleges in my area.

Thoughts?
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

At my university, tutorials were taught by students with high marks. You could also do private tutoring using the school labs.

Comment

What do you mean by "tutorials?"

Private tutoring seems like an interesting idea, although it would involve a bit more work.

BTW, I don't especially want to be a TA unless it's in the context of being a teacher for a discussion section after a lecture. Just being a TA that directly assists the professor with grading papers, etc. does not interest me because I want to actually be up in front of the group introducing people (ideally those with a bit of prior experience in another language) to Java.

Comment

Most of my computer classes had 50 minute/week tutorial with a teaching assistant. In the better tutorials, the TA would expand or go over topics covered in the lecture in greater detail. Most of them offered private tutoring as well and advertise their services to the students in the tutorial.

I applied twice to be a TA, but priority was given to the grad students.... This experience will look great on your CV!

Comment

Sounds like the discussion section I mentioned above. That might be doable, but given there aren't any lectures about Java at the moment (they're sticking with archaeic C and C++ despite my complaints each year), there also aren't any discussion sections.

It certainly would help my resume.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
            Sounds like the discussion section I mentioned above. That might be doable, but given there aren't any lectures about Java at the moment (they're sticking with archaeic C and C++ despite my complaints each year), there also aren't any discussion sections.
            hahaha... Just as I graduated, they replaced C++ with Java. Th only class I took with Java was my OS class to learn about threads.

Comment

Why the hell they teach C, then C++, and then Java makes no sense to me. You have to learn all that memory management crap, pointers, a completely non-OO model, etc.

Yes, you say that it's necessary to know those features, but introducing them all at once is stupid. Java is elegant, relatively simple, free, and increasingly popular. C and C++ is completely unstandardized (at least the ANSI/ISO standards aren't enforced) and has crap for documentation.

But I digress. I'll e-mail the head of the relevant department to see if there's any position like you describe.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X