Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jelsoft ...It's time to expand beyond Community Boards

Hi,

As the title says ,I wonder when will Jelsoft start making new products ,so far you've been doing great with vBulletin ,but I think this is not enough .You need to start something new .
    You can take your competitor as an example ,well let's look at

Invision ,they provide a full website products to build a complete website .

I think it's about time you do the same .So I hope to see some of these products soon

My regards,
    I'm stuck in the Skys ...

We're doing what we do best at this moment in time, once we have a solid framework we'll start releasing other products.

Also maintaining X different products would put a large strain on resources and you would end up with something that is sub standard and full of bugs.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Great Invision has a full range of products. But just because they have a full range of products doesn't necessarily mean they are top notch. Frankly I'd rather see a two or three pieces of top notch software than a full suite of mediocre software.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
        Great Invision has a full range of products. But just because they have a full range of products doesn't necessarily mean they are top notch. Frankly I'd rather see a two or three pieces of top notch software than a full suite of mediocre software.
        Agreed. The only things that I think are "useful" that IPS makes are:

Invision Power Board
        Invision Dynamic

The rest is garbage. Although, Invision Nexus and the other one looks nice. Now THAT is a great product. It's used to sell products, etc. Take a look: http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dyna...xus/index.html

Jelsoft, Ltd. still pwns booteh. o_o

Comment

I read a post where vbulletin used to have their own hosting service.
          I don't know why they got rid of it though.

If Jelsoft ever releases add-ons I hope they'll be released for free.

Comment

Originally posted by eXaulz

Invision Power Board
            Invision Dynamic

The rest is garbage. Although, Invision Nexus and the other one looks nice. Now THAT is a great product. It's used to sell products, etc. Take a look: http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dyna...xus/index.html

Invision would be totally awesome if all their new products were free.

I do like how they're developing products in order to provide solutions, as opposed to developing good products for the sake of good products.

vBulletin is a forum script. You can use it to build a community. But unless you put some work into it, you can't easily use it to build a website. And at the community end, you can use it to start a community, but that's it. Once it grows, you're going to need extra features that Jelsoft doesn't natively provide.

From a business point of view, Invision is far more savvy than Jelsoft. Just because you don't have enough developers doesn't mean you cannot hire more. The real money lies in providing entire solutions to a firm's problems--not just addressing the issue of a forum. I can pay $160 for a forum script, but if I'm a company, I'll gladly pay tens of thousands for the consulting, design, implementation, testing, etc. of a system that solves a problem/need that I have.

In the same sense, there is certainly a synergistic effect when it comes to software suites. Invision builds brand loyalty through its forum software, which turns into direct conversions on its other products--all while maintaining the same level of user experience, ease-of-use, and maintaining an integrated administration system for the back-end. The end-result is more sales and higher levels of customer loyalty. It's a way for them to achieve positive growth; something I haven't noticed in Jelsoft lately.
            Last edited by DirectPixel; Wed 15 Feb '06, 1:41pm.
            :)

Comment

Originally posted by eXaulz

Invision Power Board
              Invision Dynamic

That caught my eye also, as loads of people on vB.org are always asking for a hack to sell there wares online. And that Nexus looks like it will be a good addition for them. especially these days as more and more people are turning to using a site to sell something. And to have a proper product management official add-on is a gonna be a real bonus for there board.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                We're doing what we do best at this moment in time, once we have a solid framework we'll start releasing other products.
                Will the framework be solidified by VB 3.6?

Also maintaining X different products would put a large strain on resources and you would end up with something that is sub standard and full of bugs.
                When will support be dropped for vb 2?

Comment

I hear vb4.0 being talked about, if thats true the framework won't end at vb 3.6. Not that they could anyway, just to try and keep one foot ahead of the compitition.

They really would need extra staff to move onto other products. Maybe a new team created just to work on a new idea

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                    Invision would be totally awesome if all their new products were free.

I do like how they're developing products in order to provide solutions, as opposed to developing good products for the sake of good products.

vBulletin is a forum script. You can use it to build a community. But unless you put some work into it, you can't easily use it to build a website. And at the community end, you can use it to start a community, but that's it. Once it grows, you're going to need extra features that Jelsoft doesn't natively provide.

From a business point of view, Invision is far more savvy than Jelsoft. Just because you don't have enough developers doesn't mean you cannot hire more. The real money lies in providing entire solutions to a firm's problems--not just addressing the issue of a forum. I can pay $160 for a forum script, but if I'm a company, I'll gladly pay tens of thousands for the consulting, design, implementation, testing, etc. of a system that solves a problem/need that I have.

In the same sense, there is certainly a synergistic effect when it comes to software suites. Invision builds brand loyalty through its forum software, which turns into direct conversions on its other products--all while maintaining the same level of user experience, ease-of-use, and maintaining an integrated administration system for the back-end. The end-result is more sales and higher levels of customer loyalty. It's a way for them to achieve positive growth; something I haven't noticed in Jelsoft lately.
                    While I will agree with a lot of your reasoning behind providing a total site solution, this is something very hard to achieve using pre-built software. I hardly, if ever, run across a site that primarily relys on all of Invision's applications for their entire site. When using pre-built applications, you get the nasty portal feel. It already isn't cheap financing a hobby site after you include licensing, hosting, and service. Adding another $1,000 for a site suite wouldn't be an option for most. As for the large companies that demand communities, its far less expensive and time consuming to just outsource the job.

vBulletin does not have the resources (currently) to dedicate to other products. Their current business model is working perfectly, so why change it?
                    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Just to clarify a few things:

2.x and 3.0.x support has more or less ended, we dont do any development on them apart from when a security issue is released, a release for both of them can be done in a day.

Framework is constantly being expanded, items moved to datamanagers and classes tweaked / added.

I can't say anything more specific regarding company plans or policies.
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I run a forum, plus a 2 other business sites that are somewhat related to my forum. Maybe I'm alone on this but I see strategic advantages of having them separated and operating independently. I personally will never hire a "forum" company to design my site, but rather spend the money to hire a real design firm. But that's just me. It's good to try to venture into other areas, but they also need to first move away from the "forum company" reputation. That may or may not be a good thing since forum is what Jelsoft is extremely good at.
                        Last edited by Vtec44; Wed 15 Feb '06, 8:14pm.
                        So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

If that forum company also sold CRM, automated billing, and other software, would you consider using them over others? Especially if they all integrated flawlessly with each other with minimal effort?

Design and function are different. I wouldn't want a comopany like IPS designing my forums either.
                          :)

Comment

IPS seems to be shifting into the enterprise market much like Infopop/Groupee is doing. They have a whole suite of software to offer, servers to host them and support staff to fix any problems. They host and maintain most of the NFL teams forums. They also have other enterprise customers. It seems like they know they just can't compete with Jelsoft in the forum market. This is a wise choice for them. Their products are far superior and cheaper than what Infopop/Groupee offers and from what I've heard so is their support.
                            Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by AWS
                              IPS seems to be shifting into the enterprise market much like Infopop/Groupee is doing. ...This is a wise choice for them. Their products are far superior and cheaper than what Infopop/Groupee offers and from what I've heard so is their support.
                              Wow...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X