Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TruthElixirX
    replied
    I have multiple tabs open all the time and I've had a firefox eat my memory like... three times.

Leave a comment:

• MrNase
    replied
    I have installed Firefox on my new iMac and it takes 55MB of memory FRESHLY started without any tabs open..

Safari with 7 tabs open needs only 60MB of memory.

Firefox with 7 tabs open needs 88MB and its counting! I mean.. You can practically see that it's using more memory the longer you have it open
    And, what is also quite interesting: it takes up 9% of the processor's power even when idle..

Something must go wrong there

Leave a comment:

• Dave#
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery
    You are aware that linux's memory modle is based off of the windows NT one correct?
    The Linux Kernel is based on the NT Kernel? You are seriously suggesting this?

Anyways, from linux insider

That difference in design philosophy shows up everywhere. In memory management, for example, Windows NT 5.0 and its successors use clustered paging, a working set memory analogue and a free memory manager that fires up exactly once per second, while Unix uses an adaptive page specific algorithm -- often least-recently used -- to control paging. In Unix, there is no working set equivalent, and the free memory manager runs when needed.
    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/33089.html

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    You are aware that linux's memory modle is based off of the windows NT one correct?

Windows memory managment is actually not that bad, firefox has inheirent memory leaks.

Windows seems to grow bigger and bigger over time due to the fact that it precaches more and more program files.

Today my Windows (stock) load takes as much memory as it did when I frst installed the OS several months ago due to some steps I took to disable cacheing.

Leave a comment:

• Dave#
    replied
    Try an OS with proper memory management

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    started a topic Firefox = Titanic Memory Leaker

Firefox = Titanic Memory Leaker

Eeish this is insane. I've been messing around with Firefox and i pulled up a resource window to see why my computer is slowing down and I realize that with 5 tabs open, I've been using 148MB of memory. I close all but 1, and I'm still using 128MB...

EEISH!

And what's worst was I let Firefox idle for a bit, doing nothing to it, and I watched the memory usage start climbing for no particular reason.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X