X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1th
    replied
    http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html

set browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers to 0... see if it'll help.

5 tabs open with lots of extensions installed... 85MB usage.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Been a problem for the entire time I've used firefox. Although it has yet to eat all my memory.

Currently using 113MB of memory with 4 tabs open.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    I was using Windowblinds at the time of the screenshot (a month or two ago). Now I'm just using the Windows Classic theme built into Windows XP given Windowblinds 5 broke somehow. It was buggy to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• MGM
    replied
    Are you using Vista? Looks cool...

MGM out

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Pfft.

It's peaked at around 600 MB. You know something's going on when your computer hits a brick wall and the hard drive starts thrashing (noisy with RAID 10,000 RPM drives).

Leave a comment:

• thethethe
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    Eeish this is insane. I've been messing around with Firefox and i pulled up a resource window to see why my computer is slowing down and I realize that with 5 tabs open, I've been using 148MB of memory. I close all but 1, and I'm still using 128MB...

EEISH!

And what's worst was I let Firefox idle for a bit, doing nothing to it, and I watched the memory usage start climbing for no particular reason.
    There are 2 things that... blegh... on the internet:

1.) Mozilla
    2.) Firefox

I've noticed the major memory leaks all right.

Leave a comment:

• breaksguy
    replied
    I have never had this problem. I do have problems with some sites not working in firefox

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    I sincerely doubt you can do anything on enduser side Dave. Mozilla has to fix those Memory leaks. Ha...the irony. If our computer don't die because of security and stuff, it's gonna die because of Firefox itself, killing our PCs.

Leave a comment:

• Dave#
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
    Firefox on Linux uses the same memory on Windows but this is down to inaccurare results.
    I didn't say Firefox used lewss memory on Linux, I just suggested getting an os with better memory management means it becomes less of an issue for the end user

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave#
    Try an OS with proper memory management
    This isn't an OS problem. It's a Firefox problem. There are several known memory bugs (that are still unfixed).

Internet Explorer nor Opera use as much memory as Firefox with multiple tabs open. Heck, it's using almost as much as Photoshop!

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave#
    The Linux Kernel is based on the NT Kernel? You are seriously suggesting this?

Anyways, from linux insider

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/33089.html
    Windows 2000 (NT5) was the first to be using a flat memory module, linux followed suite shortly after.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    If you load like 50 tabs, the memory goes up (virtual) quite a bit. But this does not really bother me. The system performs as it does with 1 tab and I notice no decrease in overall system performance. I just stress tested it and went to all my subscribed threads and used a greasemonkey extention to load all links on the page into new tabs. After reaching 800 mb virtual memory and 256mb real memory it started to get slow and needed quite a bit of time (up to a minute) to complete the task. But then I could simply and quickly switch between the 250+ tabs. Which btw did increase real/virtual memory again - but not experiencing a slowdown. I closed firefox and started it up, surfed to my web site and checked memory, it was 20mb in virtual memory and 19mb in real memory.

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    Firefox on Linux uses the same memory on Windows but this is down to inaccurare results.

Linux uses shared libraries that are loaded once into memory like X and Pango, but are shown in the memory usage of every process that uses them.

Anyway
    Linux Firefox usage = 87mb Virtual Memory, though 25mb Resident and 16mb shared
    Windows Firefox usage = 35mb

Also some extensions eat memory!

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    No problems here.

Leave a comment:

• MGM
    replied
    Currently using 37MB of memory with one tab open...

MGM out

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X