• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DirectPixel
    Don't we all just LOVE digg?
    Digg > All... except vBulletin.com

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
      But IE7 is in Beta 2 . You willingly and knowingly took the risk by installing it.

But we have Firefox here claiming it's stable when in reality these memory leaks are sinking our computers
      That's why there is Opera. I'm liking Beta 2 of Opera 9 a lot. If only it had extension support, though.
      Forums

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
        But IE7 is in Beta 2 . You willingly and knowingly took the risk by installing it.

But we have Firefox here claiming it's stable when in reality these memory leaks are sinking our computers
        I still don't understand how Firefox is sinking your computer. I've been using it since 2003 and never once had a serious enough memory leak to crumble my computer. Why don't people complain about Photoshop or Dreamweaver's memory issues? I'm not a mozilla fanatic and I don't love Firefox with all my heart, but in no way will I ever complain about it. Seems as if everyone loved the death out of Firefox for 6 months, but for some reason now its the devil. A lot of memory leaking comes from designed protocol.

Firefox is by far the most stable browsing experience I have had to far. My system has 1gb which might explain a little, but it has never gotten to the point where I must restart Firefox so my system does not sink. It crashes far less often than Internet Explorer and the lack of ActiveX makes things a lot easier.
        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Here are clarifications:
          • Memory leaking does not necessarily indicate instability. Instability is defined more by crashing and unreliable behavior.
          • A memory leak is caused by an application that allocates memory and fails to later deallocate it. In languages like C++, it's easy to create a memory leak given you manually allocate memory, but harder (and still possible) in languages like Java where memory management is automatic.
          • Photoshop and Dreamweaver consume a lot of memory, but they do not leak (at least as much). They use memory and then free it. That is not a leak.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by Vile
            How amusing…a person unaware & uneducated about a topic, simply ranting based on their biased views.

As good as FF is, this was a known issue with FF that many people have had.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=903863
            https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=131456
            http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=989510
            Originally posted by Dave#
            I didn't say Firefox used lewss memory on Linux, I just suggested getting an os with better memory management means it becomes less of an issue for the end user
            He does have a point.

But I guess his advise wasn't limited to Firefox, but usage generally.
            Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

This is getting to become a pretty heavy thread - content wise - .. I learn a lot here and am glad I don't all these problems (or simply don't notice them). Hopefully the designers and developers do some serious R&D before they do their R&R and over time (version 2 alpha will disclose?) all these issues are resolved and they take another bite in the market and eventually get a lead.

I've always been a fan of Mozilla, and FireFox has preference because Mozilla is pretty much a total package. I've always had a dislike for Opera but that is changing for the better now. What I also like about FireFox is that it is cross platform, just like Opera. And exporting/importing bookmarks and other data is very easy. Be it on windows, mac or linux.

It is great to follow what goes on in this thread.

Memory leak or not, I like FireFox enough

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                Here are clarifications:
                • Photoshop and Dreamweaver consume a lot of memory, but they do not leak (at least as much). They use memory and then free it. That is not a leak.
                I understand that both of these applications are very resource intensive, but just recently I have noticed actual memory leaks in both. While using PS CS2, I will notice the memory usage climb to 400+ MB even after I close all documents. Could be filters or actions that I use, but I never experienced this in PS7. After working with large graphics, minutes after they are closed memory usage is still high even after the memory should have auto dumped. Granted, I don't know if its absolutely a memory leak, but somehow CS2 has poorer memory management than PS7.

As for Dreamweaver, it seems when I open multiple documents that contain lots of different language code bits, it starts chunking. The only thing that fixes it is a restart.

Comment

Never had any problems with Photoshop CS2 for me.

I find it actually loads somewhat faster than the CS version before it. Even if it did leak, it'll just be an excuse for me to buy more memory.
                  :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
                    Never had any problems with Photoshop CS2 for me.

I find it actually loads somewhat faster than the CS version before it. Even if it did leak, it'll just be an excuse for me to buy more memory.
                    I think CS2 was a huge improvement over CS, but for some reason I think I might still prefer PS7 over CS2.

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
                      I think CS2 was a huge improvement over CS, but for some reason I think I might still prefer PS7 over CS2.
                      No smart guides and multiple layer selection? You're crazy!
                      :)

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
                        Agreed. I'm still using PS7 to this day. I haven't really tried CS or CS2. I wonder if there are demos available...

MGM out

Comment

My Firefix resources went to 425,000 K.

Comment

Hello!

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by M1th
                              http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html

set browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers to 0... see if it'll help.

5 tabs open with lots of extensions installed... 85MB usage.
                              Hello! Already posted in this thread.
                              Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                                Turned that off... I seldom if ever go back and don't care if it is cached. Most of the times, Firefox just starts gobling memory when I switch between programs and this hasn't changed that.
                                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X