Advice requested regarding usernames for members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice requested regarding usernames for members

On my forum I plan to have the members' real names display.

Should I make users:
    1. register their real name as their login/username or
    2. register a username and ALSO require their real name at registration (which I will display in their postbit and profile)

Here are the problems I see with option 1:
    • some users have the same real name and therefore, all of the John Smith's will have to alter their real name to make it unique.
    • there might be a greater likelihood that users will forget that they need to login with their real name. I think people have a tendancy to use the same username on lots of sites that they are a member.

Here are the problems I see with option 2:
    • it feels like a privacy or security issue if you display both a username along with a real name.
    register their real name as their login/username
    7.69%
    register a username and ALSO require their real name at registration for a profile field
    92.31%

Here are the problems I see with option 2:
    • it feels like a privacy or security issue if you display both a username along with a real name.
    Why would you want to display members real name? That is a big risk with the internet. Also if it feels like a security issue, you shouldn't do it.
    Last edited by Mayers; Fri 10 Feb '06, 6:35pm.
    Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

Originally posted by Mayers
      [/list]Why would you want to display members real name? That is a big risk with the internet. Also if it fells like a security issue, you shouldn't do it.
      I am setting up a forum for church members and I want them to be 'known' on the forum by their real name (similiar to the forums on sites like classmates.com where you register with a username that doesn't display to other members--only your real name displays).

Comment

In this context only, forcing the real name as a username is best so it propogates throughout your site. However, in any other public context, never require real names; it violates privacy, plus many people will just make it up.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I voted #2 because some ppl dont want thier name used AT ALL in thier username......

Good luck my friend

Comment

I voted for #2 of course. No one would like his real name to be spidered by search bots & then spreaded all over the Internet, even Church members. You can modify the 'Real Name' profile field to be a requestee. I think I saw this somewhere at vB.org
            You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

I'd vote neither. I don't want pedophiles crawling around my site.
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

So no one here has their real name on sites like classmates dot com or reunion dot com?

Somewhere I read that classmates had over 30 million registered members. All of those people gave false names?

Comment

I list my real name and stuff there, but it's only available on request.
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                    Actually your name and address is available at the click of a button. Privacy hardly exists on the internet I ain't scared.
                    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I belong to both of them and I don't think there is a way to hide your real name....especially if you post to their message board.

Comment

I would say the second option is probably the easiest. in your kind of situation.
                        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Originally posted by rnmcd
                          I voted neither. While you would like to have this option so people can know each other by their real-life names, all you can reasonably suggest is for users to optionally insert their names in their signatures. Otherwise it isn't as private as some people would like, and as has been stated, many people have a username they use all over the Internet.

You might say this in your "Forum Rules" thread... something like "Since we are a real-life community, while you can register any username you wish, we suggest that you either use your real name as your username, or place your real name in your signature so that others know who you are," etc.

Polarbeast

Comment

I don't want pedophiles crawling around my site.
                            Very good point......I dont think anyone does!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dude111
                              Very good point......I dont think anyone does!!!!!!!
                              How did classmates supposedly get millions of members that sign up with their real name?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X