I have purchased.... Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have purchased.... Now what?

I have purchased my domain at godaddy.com, I have purchased a medium shared web hosting plan from ASO and have purchased the leased license for VBulletin.

Now what do I do, i have no idea whatsoever what to do at this point... Would appreciate any help greatly, thanks.

Originally posted by Doctor Swole
    I have purchased my domain at godaddy.com, I have purchased a medium shared web hosting plan from ASO and have purchased the leased license for VBulletin.

Now what do I do, i have no idea whatsoever what to do at this point... Would appreciate any help greatly, thanks.
    First thing you have to do is set up your domain to point to your hosting account. Go to your Godaddy.com account homepage, and change the nameserver of the domain to the ones provided to you by your host when you set up your account there.

Your domain should be updated within a few minutes, but if not, it can takes up to 72 hours for your ISP's DNS records to update.

Once you can access your domain (of if you know your IP address), log into your web server and upload all files in the vBulletin zip download's "upload" folder to a directory named "forums" (or whatever you want) under the public_html directory of your webserver.

Then you need to set up your database. I assume you're using cPanel. Go to your IP address's port 2082 (or your domain's 2082, if your DNS has updated), click on "MySQL Databases" icon after you log in, and type in a name and password to create a new database. Afterwards, create a new user, and add that user to the database you just created. Be sure to remember what you entered for username and password.

Now, go back to your copy of vBulletin, and edit the config.php file (in the /includes directory, I believe) and update the database settings to reflect the database you just created. Upload that file to your server.

Now, go to your http://yourhost/vbulletindirectory/install/install.php (where yourhost and vbulletindirectory are your domain name/IP and vBulletin file directory, respectively) and follow the on-screen instructions.
    :)

Comment

I have a question, lets say the domain I bought was www.notmydomain.com. I want to install the bulletin on it but not on www.notmydomain.com, instead on something like www.forum.notmydomain.com or www.notmydomain.com/forums. How would I go on about doing that because in order for me to download vbulletin, it asks me to put in the URL but I dont want to put www.notmydomain.com because I want it on www.forum.normydomain.com or www.notmydomain.com/forums???

Comment

See post below.
        :)

Comment

This is not the place for these support question? Please post in appropriate forums.

Comment

Not to mention that you buy all this only THEN to ask what to do?.....

Comment

Working...
            X