What is dedicated ip....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is dedicated ip....

Well i'm about to purchase the medium shared web host plan from ASO. It says if I want to add on these extras...

Dedicated IP Address for SSL 2.00 US
    Reselling Access 5.00 US

I was wondering what they both are and are they beneficial? Also if I say no to both of them, can I always just add them onto my account later on?

A "dedicated IP address for SSL" basically means you get an IP address set aside so you can run an encrypted server connection (SSL, which stands for "Secure Socket Layer" is a way that computer browsers can community securely with the server through an encrypted and digitally signed connection).

This is usually not required, unless you're running some sort of online shopping cart system and require users to input sensitive information such as credit card numbers. If you are, then you're also going to need to apply for a digital certificate for your SSL connection. Many companies offer such services, of which Thawte and Verisign come into mind.

Reselling access, I assume, means allowing you to resell whatever amount of webspace/bandwidth/etc. is in your hosting plan to others.
    :)

Comment

In short an IP that never changes address, which can be handy if you was going to run your own forum server from a spare PC etc

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X