Installing Win95 program on XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Win95 program on XP?

I just picked up a copy of Sierra's Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance, and I was hoping to install and run it on my computer. However, the installer fails to initiate, so I can't install it. :/

The first time I attempted to run it, a window popped up that said "integer divide by 0" and clicking it halted the process.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to get this to run? Running Windows XP SP2.

Edit: Nevermind, I got it to work on my own. ^^

Umm, maybe someone can delete this? Kinda useless now...
    Last edited by RagnarokDensetsu; Tue 10th Jan '06, 2:13am.

Just for anyone else looking for this.. The answer is to run in Windows 95 compatibility mode. Just right-click the shortcut or application and you can turn this on for the affected applications.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Also, some older games will not even let you install on an XP machine, so if this is the case, make a shortcut to the setup.exe file (located on the CD) somewhere else (i.e. desktop) then right click-->properties-->compatability-->Run this program in compatability mode for...

Now you will be able to install it, and afterwards you will have to do the same for the actual game exe file.
      Webmaster / Administrator
      www.MegaGames.com
      www.MGForums.com

Comment

Thanks, turns out I just had to reboot. I figure it kept the original (integer divide by 0) session open somehow, and wouldn't open any new sessions.

So, rebooting did the trick and it worked that time.

Might have to remember these tricks when I get Bedlam again though... :3

Comment

Also, some older games will not even let you install on an XP machine, so if this is the case, make a shortcut to the setup.exe file (located on the CD) somewhere else (i.e. desktop) then right click-->properties-->compatability-->Run this program in compatability mode for...

Now you will be able to install it, and afterwards you will have to do the same for the actual game exe file.
          Not all games, Quake II will not install on any Win XP Pro machine, but works just fine on Win XP home. Compatability mode just dosn't make a differenec to it.

Im talking about the original that came out in 1997, dunno about the re-release with Quake IV Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Acid Burn
            Not all games, Quake II will not install on any Win XP Pro machine, but works just fine on Win XP home. Compatability mode just dosn't make a differenec to it.

Im talking about the original that came out in 1997, dunno about the re-release with Quake IV Special Edition
            Yes, no one said this would work for everything
            It's hit or miss. I've seen it work for plenty of older programs/games, and then not work at all for others.

I have not tried Quake II on XP pro at all, so I wouldn't know about that.
            Webmaster / Administrator
            www.MegaGames.com
            www.MGForums.com

Comment

Working...
            X