Acquiring Initial Traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acquiring Initial Traffic

I'm just about ready to start advertising my forums to the public and I was hoping I could get some tips on how to do that.

I have another forum (not using vb) which only houses 250 members, but it was a grueling task getting all of those people to sign up and start posting only using word of mouth.

Could anyone give me some pointers as to how I can get some initial traffic and posting on my forums?

Thanx in advance.

If you know the members on the other forum pretty well, letting them know you've opened a new forum may get you a bit of traffic. There is also Google AdWords, if you are up for paying for targetted traffic. Others also use their signatures on various forums.

Comment

Become a shock jock?
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

actually, the whole reason I created this ID was so I could discuss this very topic with folks before I spend the money to buy into the vbulletin craze myself!

I'll keep watching your topic. for offline I'd suggest putting your web site on your car. thats almost free advertisting

I have had a lot of luck with Google for our company site (not forum). I ended up hiring a company to run my google campaign for me and they have done a terrific job. I won't post them up yet since I'm a new member here. but if you want their info, PM me. they are only like $30/month plus your budget.

Comment

If you have great content, they will come. It took me a long time to build mine, but they're coming in mass
          So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

yeah it looks like you have a good sized member base! How long have you been going at it now?

Comment

Mine started out as phpBB maybe in 2001. Last year I moved it to vBulletin. I get a few new people everyday. I have 200 active (logged on during the last 10 days) members. It takes time. Traffic is steadily increasing.
              ...steven
              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

have you tried joining other forums and set your url as your signature,then just post once do this regular for say 2/3 weeks thats is one way another is link exchanges with other sites,also try visiting linkvault.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dustin07
                  yeah it looks like you have a good sized member base! How long have you been going at it now?
                  The site has been aroud for more than 3 years. It was mostly a site for friends for first 2 years. I basically opened it up and welcome others in earlier last year. I know almost all the regular members there, we're a pretty close family.

For 99% of us, traffic has to be built slowly. There are a few exceptions, but most of us are not that lucky. Try building your content, then submit your site to dmoz.org directory. If the content is interesting, people will come.
                  Last edited by Vtec44; Mon 9th Jan '06, 3:25pm.
                  So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Another good way is to make use of the News Groups if your ISP runs there own News Groups and give you access in Outlook Express to post on them. Add a signature to your emails and post it with messages in Newsgroups.

If you can find very busy newsgroups that cover the same topic as your site, your onto a winner. But don't spam and talk about your site in them though, as they can be very volatile in NG towards people who go there self advertising, keep it low key with a sig and post loads
                    Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 9th Jan '06, 7:04pm.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I've been doing the sig thing for a while with my other forum.. it seems to work but not very well... maybe I'm posting on the wrong forums.

Is submitting my link to seo friendly directories worth the time?

Comment

I think it is. I think just about every small thing you do is in a way worth your time. articles are good to

Comment

Working...
                        X