Upgrading my computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my computer

Well my computer is pretty old...about 4 years old and im going to upgrade it..so far i figured id have to upgrade the video card, hard drive, ram, and motherboard.

Could anybody help me make a good selection for each component over @ http://www.canadacomputers.com

Im looking for 200-250gb hard drive.
    Video card that can support games such as CS:Source
    And whatever else it takes to make a realy fast computer.

By upgrade do you mean a whole new computer?
    Also we wouldn't be able to pick a motherboard for you because we don't know your current processor/socket type, assuming you don't want to upgrade your processor.
    Last edited by Faces; Mon 26th Dec '05, 2:40pm.

Comment

Oh yes i would like to upgrade my CPU also. And by upgrade i mean, most of it slowly but surly (the computer)
      Last edited by Gameonlock.com; Mon 26th Dec '05, 3:14pm.

Comment

For the CPU I recommend getting a AMD64 3500+ or higher. If you plan to overclock or anything, get an AMD Opteron 146 or higher (s939), however, they are quite hard to get nowadays. And if you want a dual core cpu then get an Opteron 165. Make sure they are socket 939 and not socket 940.

Motherboard, if you don't plan on doing SLI then I suggest DFI LanParty Ultra-D (this however can be modded to SLI if you change your mind.) If you do plan on SLI then Asus a8n-e SLI, Deluxe, or Premium or DFI LanParty SLI-Dr, or if you can afford DFI LanParty Expert. Make sure all those motherboard are the socket 939 kinds. DFI motherboards are very good at overclocking.

Video card I recommend nVidia 6800 GS or higher (6800 GT is not higher by the way). If you like ATi stuff then I don't know.

Comment

Aite thanks. anybody else?

Comment

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz Dual Core Socket 939 512K L2 Cache ( Retail Box )

Lite-On SHW-1635S Black 16x 8x / 16x 6x / 8x 4x / 16x + 48x 24x 48x Half-Height DVD-Dual Writer OEM

Antec Super LANBOY Aluminum Super Mini Tower w/o Power Supply

Cooler Master 120mm Blue Neon Case Fan (TLF-S12-EB) x2

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA/150 300GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache (OEM)

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA/150 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer (OEM)(For your OS and programs)

DFI Lanparty UT RDX200 CF-DR Socket 939 ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Chipset 2 PCI Express x16 Slots Crossfire Ready Dual-Ch DDR Serial ATA Raid 8-Ch High Definition Audio Dual GB Lan IEEE 1394

Corsair XMS TWINX Matched Pairs XMS3200 DDR400 2x512MB 184-pin DIMM (TWINX1024-3200XL)

OCZ (OCZ600ADJSLI) PowerStream 600 Watt Power Supply Adjustable SLI Ready, Universal Connector with BTX and SATA, Ultra Quiet

ATI Radeon X850 CrossFire Edition 256MB 256-Bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Total:
            Cash/Debit Discount Total $1,500.98

Regular Price Total $1,531.00

(741.078 GBP)
            Thats not bad for £700 at all.

Comment

^ Thanks alot for that list and total price..exactly what i was looking for..now can anybody do the same but with diffrent parts? Other options i have. Perhaps to lower the hard drives to 200gbs or something to bring the price down, etc.

Looking at the list you have be buddy..its everything a computer has but a monitor, sound card and the speakers/keyboard. If im going to buy all of that..i might aswell buy the monitor and everything else new to make everything feel like its brand new and fresh...so i wont think oh its my old piece of crap computer with just upgrades you know? So can you also add to that list whatever else is left (monitor, speakers, sound card, etc)
              Last edited by Gameonlock.com; Tue 27th Dec '05, 7:18am.

Comment

Wait for Conroe Dual Core CPUs!!
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I don't think you should risk buying the DFI Crossfire Board. If you do some research they do have a lot of bugs so I wouldn't jump on it.

Also I read that Corsair and DFI Boards don't go well together. You'd have to tweak them. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/show...hlight=corsair
                  Last edited by Faces; Tue 27th Dec '05, 12:59pm.

Comment

What's your budget?

I built an entire computer (keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.) for approximately $1,000 and it runs Counter-Strike Source, Half-Life 2, Call of Duty 2, and F.E.A.R. with no problems and most options set on high.

Comment

Nice andrew. Sounds great. Mind telling me what you bought and how much it cost you? and hook me up with a site if possible. I live in Canada btw.

Comment

Bump - I need this information asap

My mom wants a flat screen monitor. 17 inches and up prefered.
                        Id like atleast 200 gbs for a hard drive. 300 Gbs would be nice. Also i would like a super fast computer that could also run the latest games.

My budget is 1500CAD ATM. Anything under that would be fine. I would still like to hear what Andrew bought and how much he payed for it
                        Last edited by Gameonlock.com; Tue 27th Dec '05, 5:56pm.

Comment

http://time-consumer.com/cpu.html

That's not the monitor I got, though. I ended up buying a 17" CRT flat panel for around $120 or so.

Comment

Hey both look great. The only diffrence is 500 dollars. I was wondering if id be possible to upgrade the 1000 total and make it about 1250 worth of parts? By that i mean..a 200+ gb hard drive. I already have the keyboard and mouse so i dont need to purchase that. Maybe instead of that i could buy a nice pair of speakers since mine suck big balls.

Also was that $1000 CAD or USD?
                            Last edited by Gameonlock.com; Tue 27th Dec '05, 10:49pm.

Comment

$1000 USD. You can probably knock off the network adapter, keyboard, and mouse. Going from an 80 to 200+ GB HD shouldn't be too much more expensive. You can probably also upgrade the processor and video card (maybe to a 3400+ and a 6800GT) for about $1250.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X