No announcement yet.

I'm thinking of buying a laptop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep a few things in mind also. I don't know about filberts laptop as his is better than mine no doubt. But here are some things I've noticed on mine and I payed £1700 for it last year.

When I run programs like adobe photoshop dealing with graphics. It tends to get hot pretty quick over time, I can hear the fan speed up and then the laptop slow down again when I stop using it. From this I know it finds using graphic programs like photoshop pretty CPU intensive on mine. It's the same with games also, there just not built for gaming no matter what specs they show you.

I used to play Freelancer online with it, just like I did with my PC. Which is not a game that requires a monster PC or anything and my laptop specs can quite easy play it no trouble seeing as the specs are better than my PC was. But still the laptop would get very hot when playing the game over time unlike the PC with lesser specs. I think this is due to there lack of space and compact nature inside them. If you play a game or use a very intensive program like adobe photoshop. They tend to get hot fast which can slow them down a little. Just be aware of things like this and don't be fooled by superb specs.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 20 Dec '05, 8:07pm.

Comment

The actual casing of my laptop doesn't get extremely hot, but it puts out superheated jet plasma fumes from its fan on the back under high CPU usage. It's only a 1.5 GHz Pentium M, though.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

This is mine here: http://vaio.sony-europe.com/view/Sho...ry=PM+A+Series

Comment

BTW, if you can't afford it for several months, don't bother pricing anything yet. Wait until you have the money; anything you spec out now will be useless.

Comment

Are there any 15" laptops with WXUGA screens?
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk
            DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

This is what I currently have my eyes on, problem is I want to get a new laptop by the end of the first week of Feb, don't think its going to be ready by then:

http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=122550

Not sure if Asus has a decent alternative coming out sooner or not.
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk
              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                BTW, if you can't afford it for several months, don't bother pricing anything yet. Wait until you have the money; anything you spec out now will be useless.
                Do you think it's likely that by the time I have the money, that same laptop will be cheaper?
                Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz
                  Do you think it's likely that by the time I have the money, that same laptop will be cheaper?
                  More likely the same price with better specs. Don't bother pricing anything right now except to amuse yourself because it will be meaningless even the next few weeks, let alone the next few months.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                    More likely the same price with better specs. Don't bother pricing anything right now except to amuse yourself because it will be meaningless even the next few weeks, let alone the next few months.
                    Okay. I'll do that.
                    Forums

Comment

My only advice is to get the waranty. Replacing laptop parts is rather pricey.

--

James Carlson (a.k.a. Davos Vortigren)

Comment

Originally posted by Davos
                        My only advice is to get the waranty. Replacing laptop parts is rather pricey.

--

James Carlson (a.k.a. Davos Vortigren)
                        I'm looking at a three year warranty, though they offer a total coverage five year warranty for another $500. I think the three year (about $280) is probably fine.
                        Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz
                          Are these good specs for a $1,510.00 laptop?

CPU: Intel Pentium M Processor @ 2 GHz/2 MB Cache/533 MHz FSB
                          Memory: 1 GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
                          Hard Drive: 80 GB @ 5,400 RPM
                          Network Card: Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
                          Misc. Pre-Installed Software: Microsoft Office 2003 Professional Edition + Adobe Reader 7.0 + LoJack for Laptop Computers + PC Restore
                          Burning Capabilities: CD Burner @ 24x + DVD-ROM
                          Wireless Networking: Intel Pro 2915 + Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Card
                          Battery: 9-cell Li-I Primary Battery @ 80 WHr

Is that good for my first laptop? I'm not buying this for several months, as I save up the money.
                          Customize your Dell Notebooks today at www.dell.com (UK customers: www.dell.co.uk)

Get your Dell pre-customized, pre-ordered, or pre-owned. Check out the Dell Outlet.
                          Due to high demand, items in cart from Dell Outlet will be deleted after 15 minutes of inactivity.
                          Small business? Check the startpage http://dellbiz.myway.com/ (Dell Small Business MyWay). The top of the web page has all the shortcuts you need for your Small Business solutions from Dell!

Not a big spender but like to shop online? Find the right notebook at www.pricewatch.com where you can search by Price Range. Everything you need for your computer!

Comment

Originally posted by thethethe
                            Customize your Dell Notebooks today at www.dell.com (UK customers: www.dell.co.uk)

Get your Dell pre-customized, pre-ordered, or pre-owned. Check out the Dell Outlet.

Small business? Check the startpage http://dellbiz.myway.com/ (Dell Small Business MyWay). The top of the web page has all the shortcuts you need for your Small Business solutions from Dell!

Not a big spender but like to shop online? Find the right notebook at www.pricewatch.com where you can search by Price Range. Everything you need for your computer!
                            Uhh... Thanks, I guess.
                            Forums

Comment

One week ago I received my new laptop from Apple, it is a powerbook, and I am very pleased with it.
                              Dual Layer DVD burner, 80 GB HD, 1 GB RAM, 15,2" widescreen monitor in 1440x960. If the 17"| model wasn't that big, I would have gone with that, for the 1680x1050 resolution

Attachment with the silver samsung 19" TFT, which runs 1280x1024. Currently I have the 20,1" widescreen from dell connected to it, also in pivot. And that one has 1680x1050. It is great what Apple has to offer. This is a PowerPC CPU, and not an intel based one, but I would not want the first generation x86 macs anyway

More pictures from when I received it can be found here.

And it is great how the programs I use on my PC aso work (if not better) on the mac, like dreamweaver, photoshop, even ms word.

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                                Are there any 15" laptops with WXUGA screens?
                                Yes, the Dell Inspiron 6000 has an option for a 1920 x 1200 screen. Ashley bought one and it's rather impressive.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X