I'm thinking of buying a laptop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking of buying a laptop.

Are these good specs for a $1,510.00 laptop?

CPU: Intel Pentium M Processor @ 2 GHz/2 MB Cache/533 MHz FSB
    Memory: 1 GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
    Hard Drive: 80 GB @ 5,400 RPM
    Network Card: Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    Misc. Pre-Installed Software: Microsoft Office 2003 Professional Edition + Adobe Reader 7.0 + LoJack for Laptop Computers + PC Restore
    Burning Capabilities: CD Burner @ 24x + DVD-ROM
    Wireless Networking: Intel Pro 2915 + Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Card
    Battery: 9-cell Li-I Primary Battery @ 80 WHr

Is that good for my first laptop? I'm not buying this for several months, as I save up the money.
    Forums

Not worth at the moment to bother investing. Good time to save though. Yonah Dual Core Notebooks are around the corner
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Like the iBook 13.3 inch widescreen laptop coming in January.
      Let the flames begin.

Comment

i am looking forward to Steves next presentation in Janurary and all the cool things he will be unveiling.
        http://images.absolutepunk.net/images/andrew.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Bratac
          i am looking forward to Steves next presentation in Janurary and all the cool things he will be unveiling.
          Yes, I'm with you there!

As for not getting off topic; you can also wait for the more powerful PowerBook.
          Let the flames begin.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
            Not worth at the moment to bother investing. Good time to save though. Yonah Dual Core Notebooks are around the corner
            Yeah, as I said, I wouldn't even be able to afford this thing for several months, as I only have about $700 saved up right now. Hopefully by then, I can get something better for the same price, or the specs now will drop in price.

And I'm getting a PC, not a PowerBook.
            Forums

Comment

I use a Sony Vaio laptop here. Been using it instead of a PC for over 12 months now.

Comment

Yeah, my desktop PC is badly outdated, so this laptop will likely become my primary PC. I'm probably going to give my current desktop to my dad once I get my laptop.
                Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz
                  Yeah, my desktop PC is badly outdated, so this laptop will likely become my primary PC. I'm probably going to give my current desktop to my dad once I get my laptop.
                  Do you game? Then you're going to spend $2000 bare minimum on a laptop.

My tablet PC was $1839 when I got it a year or so ago. Maybe two years. I can't count time so good.

What's the all-important screen size, and far more important than that, the resolution? And manufacturer-rated battery life? Take 50% of that and you'll probably get that as your battery life.

If it's your primary PC, consider a DVD burner. Always remember that Dell offers trillions of coupons as well.

PowerBook != iBook. The Intel iBook as it is rumored is reasonably impressive with a dual-core next-generation processor. I had an iBook before, and excluding the fact that it self-destructed (the harness from the screen base to the actual laptop base got frayed), it was a wonderful machine. Best battery life of any portable I've used at 4 hours of actual usage (Wifi on, full backlight). Best part though was the Wifi, but that was due to OS X's brilliant Wifi management rather than Windows' godawful system.

I'm rambling.
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

No, I don't game. Unless you mean "gaming" to include Doom, Doom II and WinXP Solitaire. And the laptop I want to get is $1,526. And yeah, I'm definately getting it with a CD/DVD burner, one that can support dual-layer DVDs. Since I don't game, the resolution isn't as important to me, but I want to get the best one I can.
                    Forums

Comment

If you don't game then your fine, I agree about screen res and also the clarity of the display. I only got the Sony Vaio because the laptop screen display used the new X-Black Sony display which is better picture quality in terms of clarity than my 19inch CTR display was on my PC before or any other laptop I saw at the time. Also check if it's fully mobility for longer battery life. I have a Pentium mobile centrino in mine that gives better battery life and mobile radeon.

I always use the power supply for it in the house anyway just like a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
                        If you don't game then your fine, I agree about screen res and also the clarity of the display. I only got the Sony Vaio because the laptop screen display used the new X-Black Sony display which is better picture quality in terms of clarity than my 19inch CTR display was on my PC before or any other laptop I saw at the time. Also check if it's fully mobility for longer battery life. I have a Pentium mobile centrino in mine that gives better battery life and mobile radeon.

I always use the power supply for it in the house anyway just like a PC.
                        I should clarify. I'm not an avid gamer, but that doesn't mean I won't have any games on it. I might have a few, but nothing that would require the kind of specs needed for Half-Life 2, Doom 3, etc. Maybe a few sim games (like RollerCoaster Tycoon.) I'd assume that UltraSharp display has a good enough resolution to effectively run something like that.
                        Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz
                          I should clarify. I'm not an avid gamer, but that doesn't mean I won't have any games on it. I might have a few, but nothing that would require the kind of specs needed for Half-Life 2, Doom 3, etc. Maybe a few sim games (like RollerCoaster Tycoon.) I'd assume that UltraSharp display has a good enough resolution to effectively run something like that.
                          Find out what the resolution is. Higher is always better unless you have less-than-perfect eyesight. The inch measurement of the screen is completely meaningless; my 12.1" tablet is 1400 x 1050 and my 20" desktop LCD is 1600 x 1200, but a lot of cheap manufacturers use 15" LCDs that are a pitiful 1024 x 768.

My last laptop was at work with a 17" WUXGA+ screen. A blissful 1920 x 1280...the same as a 24" desktop LCD. That's higher than HDTV 1080p, and I still wish it was higher.

If you're developing, you definitely want the highest resolution possible (and more than a GB of memory for serious development tools like Eclipse). If you're not, it's still important just for general usability.
                          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I can't find the resolution offhand, but it's a WUXGA LCD display.
                            Forums

Comment

As a guideline for you. Mine has a 15inch wide screen display (15.4 if I'm correct) at 1280X800

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X