No announcement yet.

Radeon or GeForce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer the support of the GeForce cards myself.

--

James Carlson (a.k.a. Davos Vortigren)

Comment

changed my mind again. LOL I am going to get Radeon X1800 XT because it seems amazing.

Comment

*sighs*

I strongly suggest sticking with a GeForce. Less chance of headaches when playing Sims 2.

Note: this is coming from someone's who's been playing a lot.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          *sighs*

I strongly suggest sticking with a GeForce. Less chance of headaches when playing Sims 2.

Come on Radeon can't be that bad else no one will have it.

Comment

I've had quite a bit of headaches from trying to isolate issues why ATI users can't play the game properly even though their cards clearly exceed the minimum specifications.

nVidia cards so far haven't had that many issues.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I've had quite a bit of headaches from trying to isolate issues why ATI users can't play the game properly even though their cards clearly exceed the minimum specifications.

nVidia cards so far haven't had that many issues.
              Ok Well it looks like I'll change my mind again and go with Nvidia

Comment

*sighs*

Ummm no dude, I've had no problems playing Sims 2 on my 9600 256MB card on medium to high quality.

Babolo, you really should do some more research and look into this some more before you decide. Just changing your mind over and over again from what one person says won't help you. Just because one person has an issue with an nVidia or ATI card doesn't mean everybody does. Do some research, read some reviews, read some customer feedback, and decide based on all of that.

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by babolo
                  Ok Well it looks like I'll change my mind again and go with Nvidia
                  I wouldn't let ManagerJosh's opinion sway your final purchase. From personal experience, I've played Sims 1 and 2 on a 9800XT. One of my previous roomates played Sims 2 on his 9200SE, and my previous girlfriend played Sims 2 on a 9000. Both NVidia and ATI will play the game fine. Focus on price to performance rather than one brand.
                  Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

It's just been my experience as a Sims 2 Fansite owner and a frequent observer of technical issues that run in and out of my site that a good percentage of all problems boils down to ATI chipsets. It's not that I have anything against them; it's just that I've observed this over and over again that ATI users seem to have the most problems.

Comment

*sighs*

Sorry, but that's irrelevant....I'm a fairly hardcore game myself, heck it's even in the slogan of our site (MegaGames.com) and have been playing all sorts of games frome very genre (RTS, FPS, Adventure, Puzzle, Racing, Simulation, etc etc) and I've had quite a bit of experience using both ATI & nVidia, and when comparing and equivalent line of cards from both of them, neither is significantly better than the other. I've had little to no problems for ATI or nVidia. It really comes down to personal preference, as some cards do a better job serving certain functions than other cards. It's the same reason why AMD has some advantages over intel and vice versa.

And just FYI, both of my main systems have a mix of hardware - ATI & Nivida and Intel & AMD
                      Webmaster / Administrator
                      www.MegaGames.com
                      www.MGForums.com

Comment

It's just been my experience as a Sims 2 Fansite owner and a frequent observer of technical issues that run in and out of my site that a good percentage of all problems boils down to ATI chipsets. It's not that I have anything against them; it's just that I've observed this over and over again that ATI users seem to have the most problems.
                        Which may be true, but my experience is 3/3. Usually when a game fails to work with a certain graphics card (nVidia & ATI), it takes 5 minutes of searching to find a fix. Have you ever ran an ATI card yourself?
                        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I run both ATI and NVIDIA in my P, and both perform great and give no issues. I am very happy with both cards. They power four monitors and doing a good job at it. Quality is 99% the same on all monitors, if I siwtch them around I do not notice a decrease or increase in quality and/or performance. And I am not talking about fps in FPS games, because the difference between two cards is too big, one being x800 on agp and the other 5200 on pci.

Comment

Currently ATI has a known problem with Shader 3.0 and vertex prefetching under OpenGL. They are working to fix it but it can effect performance. I play City of Heroes and some people with X-series ATI cards were reporting single digit framerates because of this issue. Older cards don't have the problem because they don't support Shader 3.0.

I think the 5.12 drivers helped somewhat but haven't resolved the problem. If you play a lot of games with OpenGL or plan on doing high-end graphics work, this could be a factor in your immediate decision to buy.

5. The performance difference between NVIDIA and ATI display adapters is unfortunate, but there was no malicious intent behind it. Essentially, what happened is that during the process of improving the City of Heroes engine so that it could take advantage of new OpenGL features the render path had to be altered as well. The new method of rendering causes some performance issues with current ATI drivers (minimized with the 5.10/5.11 drivers, but not negated). Unfortunately, this alteration is critical to the functioning of many of the new advanced shaders.

Cryptic has been working with ATI to correct the issue, but it may be some time before significant improvements are realized. In the meantime, disabling the advanced rendering effects, using 3D scaling, and/or reducing world/texture detail should help alleviate the issue.
                            From this page.

It is just one game but thousands of people were complaining about the problem.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Well I guess I have to keep looking. I think Nvidia 6 series is right for me but I still have to keep researching and read reviews.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X