No announcement yet.

Google Page Rank and vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I redirect the archive pages to the main site now. I am using vbseo, but currently the server is offline and we are trying to fix it.

Comment

Let's see, from just one vBulletin archive example. A small site.

The site has 41K indexed pages. One third of those are the archve. The sites keywords are on the first and second search pages. Good keywords, not obscure words. The actual words that bring traffic, not wishful keywords.

Now does that sound like a duplicate penalty?

Now lets do vbulletin.com.

2.6 millions pages indexed for the site. 2.1 million for the archive.

Now those are penaties I can live with. If you were smart, you'd run the vB archive too. It works.

There are alot of nuances to dupe content penalties and most folks just don't understand them unfortunatly.
      Computer Help Forum
      An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Remember the Archive is not just for search engines, I use it for browsing with my PDA.

Also there are other search engines than google so its not likely to be removed.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Still Waters
          (1) Do your archive pages have Google page rank?
          How high do your pages go? PR3? PR4? PR5?

(2) My understanding is that the forum archive pages are more easily indexed by Google than the regular pages (because there's no '?' character in the archive URL). Right? Wrong?

Thanks.
          1) Yes. Main archive page PR: 4, Archive Forum pages PR: 3/2. The showthread links 301 redirect (thanks to vBSEO) to the actual threads.

2) Apparently this is correct.
          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

In my experience - Google does not penalize for having archive pages and the main forum pages - it typically indexes only one.

There are alot of myths about the dup content penalty. People seem to think Google and Yahoo are stupid and dont realize a forum when their spiders come across one.

Google indexes the vBulletin platform just fine.

duplicate content penalties generally apply when google finds 2 seperate sites with virtually the same content. this is most likely based on a percentage basis, meaning having an excerpt from a news article in a thread wont cause you a penalty.

Oh, and the penalty seems to only be that the newer, and assumed copycat page, wont be indexed. Not that the whole site is punished.

I suggest everyone use the archive if you want to be indexed in Google. I also suggest you place adsense ads on your archive. I earn a good chunk of my adsense revenue via the archive.

-
            vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
            vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
            Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

Some of us like to have all our forum pages indexed in Google.

Comment

Originally posted by cinemablend
                Some of us like to have all our forum pages indexed in Google.

Which is what you should aspire to. Every page that you hae indexed is a page someone may find when searching for something. The object is to be as 'findable' as possible.
                vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
                Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X