Google Page Rank and vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Page Rank and vBulletin

(1) Do your archive pages have Google page rank?
    How high do your pages go? PR3? PR4? PR5?

(2) My understanding is that the forum archive pages are more easily indexed by Google than the regular pages (because there's no '?' character in the archive URL). Right? Wrong?

Thanks.
    Thanks,
    Still Waters

Archive pages are indexed easier because the URL links are more search engine friendly

Comment

I don't have the archive active. Seems too much like duplicate content to me. But then I only have one page in Google and I am wondering how that got there. Don't know what PR it has. Probably 0.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Do you mean you have removed the archive because you think Google might ban you because of double content. IE: Google Adsence TOS regarding double content?

Comment

No.. I turned it off because I feel it is duplicate content. I don't really care what Google's TOS says. I am not an Adsense user.

Wayne Luke

Comment

But turning it off will also effect how well you site gets indexed as well seeing as the Archive is more search engine friendly I would have thought - unless your not bothered about getting indexed that much also.

Comment

Better ways of getting indexed. The URLs provided in the Archive aren't that great. But for my current community site, I don't care if it gets indexed at all. Like I said, I am surprised that 1 page from it is in Google to begin with. The site isn't meant for the general population and isn't promoted on the Web. It is a clan site and promoted within the game and through chat systems for clan members and people who wish to become clan members.

Wayne Luke

Comment

So your forcing search engines to index the forum pages, rather than proving the both the forum and archive pages. Because you think that gets you indexed better overall. And also avoids the double content TOS stuff, which can also effect ranking.

Comment

What game is your clan for? I used to run a clan for Freelancer Online. We used Teamspeak also. I know of a FREE TS server run by Game-on. That lets you create your TS Channel and admin it if your interested

http://www.gameon.co.uk/?page=17&cmd=49

Comment

Websites are for people not search engines. Quite frankly, the archive pages are simple and boring. I personally don't want to look at them and I assume most people don't. They may have a benefit for WAP or users with limited devices but for the general public they don't. They are duplicate content because they show the same content on separate pages. One could probably argue that they are cloaked content as well since they are designed to show the search engines something other than people want to see.

I would rather force search engines to index my content the way I want to present it to the world instead of something circa 1993. No search engine has problems with dynamic URLs these days and if they did, then they need to update their software or go out of business. General blah white pages do not make for repeat visitors to a website. I know if I go to a website and am presented with a boring white page, I go elsewhere.

With other technologies like mod_rewrite and sitemaps provided by Google and Yahoo, you can build pages that are not only search engine friendly but human friendly. May take a little more work but you can create a customized experience suited to your metrics and bottom line much better than a single pill solution.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
                      What game is your clan for? I used to run a clan for Freelancer Online. We used Teamspeak also. I know of a FREE TS server run by Game-on. That lets you create your TS Channel and admin it if your interested

http://www.gameon.co.uk/?page=17&cmd=49
                      City of Heroes/Villains. So far the group has declined to run a teamspeak server though my wife has the software. Maybe in the future.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Yeah I see your point about when you search for something and your lead to a vB site to view there archive page. When I first saw that and didn't use vB. I thought it was like some dead basic page of text and never even spotted the link to view the full page version. Did that a few times and thought what a boring page and closed it.

You have to use TS, man you don't know what you missing. It's so much fun to have like 5 clan members all talking at the same time in a game using voice chat, so your hands are free to play the game. We used to use this to organise our plan of attack in the game.

Plus it makes for a good laugh and you get to know your clan members much better also. In fact when we ran the "6thPirates", one requirment to apply to join was that you had a microphone and would use TS.

Plus that link I posted to Game-on. What they do is they run a public TS server with all there monthly left over game server bandwidth. As long as you join there forum as a member. Once you have TS installed. You can connect to there TS server, create your own room and sub rooms. And admin it. Make it private etc (password).

And it costs you nothing, and like Mirc. You can posts a link on your site that if a person has TS installed. It will connect them straight to your voice chat channel and launch there TS auto

You don't even need a microphone, you can join a server and listen to chat through your speakers if you don't like talking, or until you buy a mike etc

LOL
                        Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 12th Dec '05, 2:48pm.

Comment

currently i dont actually use vBullitin, (cant be bothered making a forum, no one would go on it!) But if i did, i wouldnt use archives.

Comment

maybe we will see the archive scrapped in vB 3.6.0 then?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
                              maybe we will see the archive scrapped in vB 3.6.0 then?
                              doubtful, alot of people still use it, because it can be useful i guess.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X