Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If W3C.org compliance is so imporant...

... why doesn't Google, one of the biggest internet companies, adhere to it?

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.google.com
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ww....com%2Fadsense
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Because Google cares less for web standards. Only thing it cares about is scamming a buck.

Even Microsoft (which is larger than Google) and it's proprietary self validates...

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ss=1&outline=1

Chris
    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
    ~~~
    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Thing is, Google's websites are much easier to navigate than Microsoft's. I can't speak for other people, but Microsoft sites are confusing as heck if you ask me.

And if the W3C is all about "web standards", I would have said that Google beats Microsoft hands down.

So I'm torn between adhering to W3C Web Standards, and not doing so.
      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

If you ever plan to be a web designer and try to pass yourself off as one at Sitepoint and other web design forums saying "hmmmm, maybe I won't comply with W3C", wear Nomex and be ready for a flame fest you'd never experienced before!

Denial ain't going to save you from that CSS/XHTML web standards horde!! lololol

Chris
        ~~~
        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
          If you ever plan to be a web designer and try to pass yourself off as one at Sitepoint and other web design forums saying "hmmmm, maybe I won't comply with W3C", wear Nomex and be ready for a flame fest you'd never experienced before!

Denial ain't going to save you from that CSS/XHTML web standards horde!! lololol

Chris
          Yeah I see what you're saying, but I find web standards limit creativity. I mean, it seems like if you have a complex site, it has no chance of validation. And I still think that if it was as important as its made out to be, Google would clean up their supposedly invalid code.

I dunno about this whole validation thing. I really dont.

Comment

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht....vbulletin.com

vBulletin.com doesn't validate either.

Comment

The reason for this stress to confirm isn't very clear today, Creepshow, but in 2 to 5 years it will when XML/XLST sites begin their emergence. One syntax error in XML/XLST and it'll stop loading -- it won't pass sloppy code like HTML and XHTML.

This is why the screws are being applied today to train a new generation of web designers who WILL confirm to standards, and who WILL write XML/XLST that will pass freely without a burp!

The real design challenges will come with XML/XLST, as it'll revolutionalize what we think of the web, and how to serve it. Both are something you'll have to learn as well, and when you do, you'll then better understand why conformity is essential.

Chris
              ~~~
              Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                but in 2 to 5 years it will when XML/XLST sites begin their emergence. One syntax error in XML/XLST and it'll stop loading -- it won't pass sloppy code like HTML and XHTML.
                I'll get back to you in 5 years
                I am pretty sure it will take way, way longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Creepshow
                  http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht....vbulletin.com

vBulletin.com doesn't validate either.
                  The code's valid, but the validator burps on using script tags in the header (this is well known, and Jelsoft needs to escape the JS). Remove the JS and it validates fine.

Chris
                  ~~~
                  Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas
                    I'll get back to you in 5 years
                    I am pretty sure it will take way, way longer.
                    I think it'll be 3 to 5years from now. Because the browsers have to catch up first. But once they do....BOOM....it'll fly.

It'll fly because the world is a heck of a lot mobile now, and mobile devices depend on XML (which apart from learning it's syntax -- it's more logical than HTML/XHTML any day!).

Chris
                    ~~~
                    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

... why doesn't Google, one of the biggest internet companies, adhere to it?
                      Because the average user on the Internet doesn't care one whit about standards compliance. To get the biggest market, you need to determine what is more important user support or adhering to a standard.

User Support is more profitable. Microsoft's site doesn't validate because they are trying to do the right thing. Microsoft's site validates because idealist people force them to commit. Now, I am not against standards. I truly am not. I think they have a wonderful place in development. However, they don't progress fast enough to be the main focus of development. There are too many variables in the real world that standards don't account for and they hold technology back. Maybe XML can get around that because it is easily extensible. Maybe even XHTML 1.1 is a step in the right direction but right now it is my opinion that standards are stagnating the Web and not letting it reach its full potential.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        Because the average user on the Internet doesn't care one whit about standards compliance. To get the biggest market, you need to determine what is more important user support or adhering to a standard.

User Support is more profitable. Microsoft's site doesn't validate because they are trying to do the right thing. Microsoft's site validates because idealist people force them to commit. Now, I am not against standards. I truly am not. I think they have a wonderful place in development. However, they don't progress fast enough to be the main focus of development. There are too many variables in the real world that standards don't account for and they hold technology back. Maybe XML can get around that because it is easily extensible. Maybe even XHTML 1.1 is a step in the right direction but right now it is my opinion that standards are stagnating the Web and not letting it reach its full potential.
                        Very well put, exactly what I was thinking but with... better wording

I find it funny that Chris immediately makes Google into a bad company just because they're not standards compliant... heh

MGM out

Comment

W3C Standards cripple creativity.

Simple as that.

Comment

W3C Standards cripple creativity.

Simple as that.
                            May be it does. When I heard about XHTML back in 2003, I learned that XHTML has the capability to work the same way in all browsers. Means the webpage will look the same in all web browsers. But never really cared about it. Lately after ChrisLM2001 gave me some good points of using W3 Standards, I thought may be it will be a good idea to use them. In addition you have this cool feeling when you see your site validates. I am actually working on a new design for photoshopcity.com, and going to make it w3c standard. Since I see it works the same way in all web browsers .
                            Out to Change the world!

Comment

That is the funny thing about being standards compliant. The Microsoft site looks different in Mozilla based browsers than it does in Internet Explorer. Yet it validates.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X