No announcement yet.

AJAX pros and cons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I dislike is the increased memory consumption. A vBulletin thread, with quick reply open, can top 30MB per browser window. Not every member is surfing with 1024MB of memory, and they have more than just a browser window open. Open the full editor an it's closer to 40MBs. Post on 3 to 4 forums, and you can see how quickly your memory is eaten up just for some "neat feature".

For forums where you know the member's hardware is up-to-date it's fine, but on most boards, that's way too much memory consumption for little gain.

Chris
    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
    ~~~
    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
      What I dislike is the increased memory consumption. ...For forums where you know the member's hardware is up-to-date it's fine, but on most boards, that's way too much memory consumption for little gain.
      Good point, Chris. Makes me wonder if Ajax could become a user option rather than global.

btw, check your private messages.
      ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

Weird not getting any notice of PMs. Thanks for the headsup, sent you a PM as well.

Chris
        ~~~
        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Three things not mentioned here about using clientside technologies like AJAX.

1) They increase the speed of your site as their functionality is done on the browser's computer not the server.
          2) They lower bandwidth usage since the page is not being reloaded all the time for new posts, showing those posts and edits.
          3) They increase the tools available to the end user and make the system work more like they are used to using compiled desktop applications. Not exactly the same but closer. The gap will narrow overtime.

Anything that reduces cost and makes weblications easier to use is good in my book.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Those with computers with little RAM will balk at 30+MB browser windows.

Woe those surfing with 256MB.

Too fat; a retro-fad; and loaded with god awful javascript.

Chris
            ~~~
            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

My only gripe with AJAX, isn't really with AJAX..

On older browsers (version 6 and earlier, which some of my clients require), AJAX loads can run REALLY slowly, which makes for a crummy user experience.

Comment

Originally posted by MGM View Post
                Apparently because it makes bookmarks and the Back button useless... but I'm almost certain this can be fixed with some form of url manipulation....

MGM out
                I hate it when it looses the data in a text field that uses AJAX. For example when you enter a user name into search.php, do a search and then click the back button to refine the search, the user name is no longer there. What a pain to have to type in the name over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                  I hate it when it looses the data in a text field that uses AJAX. For example when you enter a user name into search.php, do a search and then click the back button to refine the search, the user name is no longer there. What a pain to have to type in the name over and over again.
                  This has nothing to do with AJAX. With an AJAX based search, the results would be loaded without reloading the screen so your search form should be visible at the top. vBulletin doesn't use any AJAX for searching. Your regarding history. AJAX doesn't update hstory since you're not loading a new page. Though IE8 has support for this to eliminate this issue.

When using the back button, the browser will reload the form according to how it is programmed. This includes whether it uses cached answers or not. Browsers usually clear the form to prevent data contamination.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X