Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICANN Gives Tentative OK on '.asia' Domain

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ICANN Gives Tentative OK on '.asia' Domain

    Heads up to forum admins looking for new domain names!

    Along with the .xxx extension there's more domains to try to get....coming soon!

    Yahoo News - ICANN Gives Tentative OK on '.asia' Domain

    Registrations for English-language names in ".asia" could begin six months after ICANN grants final approval. But first, ICANN and the DotAsia Organization Ltd. will have to spend weeks or months ironing out contract details. The DotAsia group, which consists of domain name operators in Asian countries, also plans to explore permitting site addressess in Asian languages.
    Chris
    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
    ~~~
    Leonardo da Vinci

  • #2
    Cool, but the .xxx domain is a stupid idea.
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Creepshow
      Cool, but the .xxx domain is a stupid idea.
      I disagree. If all adult sites were to begin using it, it'd be much easier for people who find adult material objectionable to know exactly what the site is about.
      Forums

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Quillz
        I disagree. If all adult sites were to begin using it, it'd be much easier for people who find adult material objectionable to know exactly what the site is about.
        I totally agree. I personally think .asia is a waste, because then .europe, .middleeast, .northamerica, .southamerica, and so on will be validated.
        So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

        Comment


        • #5
          Which will help parents trying to keep 12 year-olds from getting "touched" by porn.

          The industry has to police itself, and if they do, it's a win-win for both camps. Otherwise it can be driven offline one day.

          Kids are getting to be very expensive and very legally demanding tykes today, and parents may not have much choice in the future but to seriously limit porn viewing by kids -- or risk jail time as more laws to curb pedophilia (and by extension seriously limiting kids any access to porn or risk more than getting possibly exploited) are made.

          Chris
          "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
          is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
          ~~~
          Leonardo da Vinci

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Vtec44
            I totally agree. I personally think .asia is a waste, because then .europe, .middleeast, .northamerica, .southamerica, and so on will be validated.
            The extensions would have to be short. I think Europe would be .euro; North America, .noam; South America . soam and down the line.

            But what's really needed is IPv6 to take off due to the shortage of IPv4 IPs. Can't increase many more domain extensions without more IPs available. It'll cause a bottleneck, and dynamic IPs aren't viable for websites.

            Chris
            "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
            is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
            ~~~
            Leonardo da Vinci

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
              The extensions would have to be short. I think Europe would be .euro; North America, .noam; South America . soam and down the line.

              But what's really needed is IPv6 to take off due to the shortage of IPv4 IPs. Can't increase many more domain extensions without more IPs available. It'll cause a bottleneck, and dynamic IPs aren't viable for websites.

              Chris
              Actually, I don't see why North American and South America couldn't just be combined into America, or an .am/.ame extension.
              Forums

              Comment


              • #8
                It'll be self limiting -- not enough domain names to go around. Billion less domains if it's combined.

                Chris
                "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                ~~~
                Leonardo da Vinci

                Comment


                • #9
                  Its damn stupid. They need to redo the domain system.

                  Do it so you register 'anything-you-god-damn-want.if.you.want.a.dot'

                  Or ever just have 'name-hello'

                  or 'name'

                  Have it so you can choose as many dots as you want and its just 1 word type if you get me.

                  Would be alot better and if its taken then tough!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by patriotcow
                    Its damn stupid. They need to redo the domain system.

                    Do it so you register 'anything-you-god-damn-want.if.you.want.a.dot'

                    Or ever just have 'name-hello'

                    or 'name'

                    Have it so you can choose as many dots as you want and its just 1 word type if you get me.

                    Would be alot better and if its taken then tough!
                    lol

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by patriotcow
                      Its damn stupid. They need to redo the domain system.

                      Do it so you register 'anything-you-god-damn-want.if.you.want.a.dot'

                      Or ever just have 'name-hello'

                      or 'name'

                      Have it so you can choose as many dots as you want and its just 1 word type if you get me.

                      Would be alot better and if its taken then tough!
                      That wouldn't work, because a DNS name is simply a textual representation of a computers location. For example, www.google.com means that the website is located on a computer called WWW, on a network called GOOGLE, within the COM extranet.
                      Forums

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                        Kids are getting to be very expensive and very legally demanding tykes today, and parents may not have much choice in the future but to seriously limit porn viewing by kids -- or risk jail time as more laws to curb pedophilia (and by extension seriously limiting kids any access to porn or risk more than getting possibly exploited) are made.
                        I agree that the .xxx TLD is a good idea and will make filtering easier on parents. However, the parents of tomorrow have the same tools as today to protect their children. It is called parenting which instills morals and guidelines into the children. I trust my children to do the right thing even if I can't monitor them 24 hours a day. And yes, I suspect that they will check out some images on the internet that I don't approve of but they have the tools to hold their own in a chat room and let their mom or I know when something isn't right.

                        I don't however think we need .asia, .eu, or other continent based TLDs. Each country already has their own TLD for use. They can use any number of prefixes within that TLD such as .co.uk for UK Companies.
                        Translations provided by Google.

                        Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Parents often don't monitor their kids, and the government doesn't, which leaves the mess we have today. The solution sometimes is much worse than the cure -- jailing parents for the behaviors of their kids (locally parents can face a fat fine let alone jail time if kids are picked up after curfew [11pm in the school season], so laws already on the books to push parents to do more than just put some parental controls on their kid's computer).

                          I don't mind the extra domains (especially in emerging third world countries <-- China has a population that is 4x larger than the USA, and it will probably need more than 4 new domain TLDs for itself). For the end-user it's more domains to pickup, especially the 4 to 5 letter ones.

                          Chris
                          "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                          is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                          ~~~
                          Leonardo da Vinci

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Quillz
                            That wouldn't work, because a DNS name is simply a textual representation of a computers location. For example, www.google.com means that the website is located on a computer called WWW, on a network called GOOGLE, within the COM extranet.
                            It would work if there was no different types and just 1 type of name. Because how come when you set an intranet up you can type just the name of the pc. So really it is possible.

                            Comment

                            widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X