Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows server?

Hello,

Are windows server any good for hosting websites?
    Arcade.gs Game Site!

Not as good as Linux

Comment

Not true so much, windows is a differnt ball game, and things can be much harder / much simpler from some stand points.

Any specific reason you need / want a windows server?

Comment

there's a hosting company offering 10gb space and 500 gb traffic for 10.00 on a windows 2003 server.

php5

and alot of other updated software.

EDIT: KERP! all i have been using is linux hosting. Now that i have CS:Source server I need more bandwith.
        Last edited by xjuliox; Mon 28th Nov '05, 8:40am.
        Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

Thats a ripoff, move on, find a better host.

Comment

I did! I found another one with linux hosting.
            Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
              Not true so much, windows is a differnt ball game, and things can be much harder / much simpler from some stand points.

Any specific reason you need / want a windows server?
              We own a Windows Server 2003 server with some pretty nice hardware specs (dual opterons, 2gb ram, 15k SCSI hard drives raided) and we only use it because one of our applications requires Microsoft SQL Server. That is the only reason we use it. We have tried hosting our site with Windows 2000 Server in the past and there is no comparison to Linux. Also, being the fact that most Linux distros are free... well, there is no reason not to use it.

We have to reboot our Windows server every month, while our Linux servers can stay running for.... a year or two (if we wanted).

Good luck with your new Linux hosting.

Comment

You'd reboot your linux server more often if you actually took care to rebuild the kernel as updates come out

Comment

I do upgrade the kernel often (and reboot). What I am saying is, however, if I didn't want to upgrade the kernel and reboot the Linux server I wouldn't have to. After a certain amount of time on a Windows server, it's necessary -- updates or not.

Comment

Generally, its not, but as with everything, windows gets security updates just like linux.

My windows server runs for months on end (in house dev server) It serves files, etc. the only reason it ever gets rebooted is for updates.

Comment

I tried a windows web server once, never again will that happen. I had more worries of it not being up to date then i ever had with linux.
                      Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

Which is hard to believe, considering WS2003 has automatic updates for sleepy Admins, too.

From what I hear WS2003 is a major improvement in stability, and one that blows the misconceptions away which is still around about NT 4.0., let alone WS2000.

And those boxes with l-o-n-g uptime stats I'd wouldn't trust. Either they don't update/upgrade (which makes them extremely vulnerable to exploits), or they're faked to brag. Server updates come at least once a month for Windows (that second Tuesday of a month update); to whenever *nix updates/upgrades come along, in addition to any other security patches (which *nix is increasing more prone too).

Chris
                        "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                        is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                        ~~~
                        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by kerplunk
                          I do upgrade the kernel often (and reboot). What I am saying is, however, if I didn't want to upgrade the kernel and reboot the Linux server I wouldn't have to. After a certain amount of time on a Windows server, it's necessary -- updates or not.
                          I find that hard to beleive. I've been running 2003 since RC1 on my dev servers and on my live servers since it was released. Only time I have ever had to reboot was after it updates itself. Once Longhorn server is released there will be no need to reboot after updates so you'll see some real high uptimes in the future from Windows server.
                          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X