Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury Duty - Policies?

Hey all

I did some research around but I couldn't get a clear answer. Moreover, it's been a pain to contact the courts about this.

I was summoned a few months back (April of this year) to serve Jury Duty at the Norwalk Superior Court System. I delayed it till July/August of this year and successfully served it out.

However today, in the mail, I got summoned again, this time by the U.S. District Court.

It was my understanding that I don't have to serve again for at least the period of one year and that I should not be summoned. Yet here I'm being summoned again to do Grand Jury work.

So the final question would be....do I need to serve since I've served at the Superior Courts no more than 4 months ago?
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Looks like 3 years. In CT anyway. Check with your state's site.

http://www.jud.state.ct.us/faq/jury.html#disqualified
    vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Well note this is Federal Court and not State court....
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

There should be a note on the Summons for Jury Duty letter that says what to do if you are exempt from jury duty under legislation. It usually requires a letter, in this case, probably to the district court.

Whether serving on a jury at a state court exempts you from serving on a jury at a federal court within the specified time frame, I don't know. But I'd write a letter to the court as instructed on the summons paper.
        HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

You'll find if you serve successfully you'll wind up on a short list of jurists (and they do tend to call them up again and again). Thus, not surprised you were called up so quickly. Where I live they can call you up 4x a year -- and believe me it IS a royal pain to wait, wait, wait for days to get seated on a jury <-- and thats days you're not paid for, as you have to be in the courthouse all during the week.

Chris
          "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
          is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
          ~~~
          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

U.S. District Court and Norwalk Superior Courts are two different court systems. In California, you can be served with Jury duty once a year for each court level (Municipal, County, State Court, and Federal).
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X