This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zonex
    I don't know about you guys but if someone made false accusations against me and threatened to sue me, I would never settle. I would go to court and defend myself if needed. I mean they are false accusations right? Why settle if you can win without even paying for a lawyer.
    You'd think so, but legal issues are expensive if you drag it. A lot of things, especially when it involves programming codes are hard to defend, and can go either way. That's the same reason why SCO can sue IBM over Linux.
    So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Precisely.

Also know that lawyers aren't programmers. They wouldn't know PHP from Perl if it bit them on the butt. It's not their speciality to know, as it's not our speciality to know every piece of law and it's implications.

All we do know is that they settled. It doesn't mean either party is guilty or innocent, all it means both went to mediation and settled on some form of compromise. That is all.

Chris
      "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
      is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
      ~~~
      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I don't know about you guys but if someone made false accusations against me and threatened to sue me, I would never settle. I would go to court and defend myself if needed. I mean they are false accusations right? Why settle if you can win without even paying for a lawyer.
        I agree with you 100%

Comment

Do you have $5,000,000 to spare? Because that's about how much a long dragged out court case will cost.

Few folks have that many clams, so they settle. It doesn't mean their guilty by any means.

I know a friend who was permanently damaged from an quack physician (who killed another patient for drinking on the job). He had all of the paperwork and history to take it to jury, but chose to settle the malpractice suit instead. He was nowhere in being guilty for the repeated incompetence of that doctor and the medical board that allowed him to kill/maim at least 3 patients.

So don't ever think a settlement is an admission of guilt or innocence. It's how to close a case, and that's about all.

Chris
          ~~~
          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
            This has been going on for a lot longer than with Brian. It's why there's a stink about this, as it's a pattern.

Chris
            A pattern of what? A pattern of legal issues where someone was sued for providing Warez verisons of our software? Or is this just some kind of unwarrented personal attack?

Comment

Do you have $5,000,000 to spare? Because that's about how much a long dragged out court case will cost.

Few folks have that many clams, so they settle. It doesn't mean their guilty by any means.

I know a friend who was permanently damaged from an quack physician (who killed another patient for drinking on the job). He had all of the paperwork and history to take it to jury, but chose to settle the malpractice suit instead. He was nowhere in being guilty for the repeated incompetence of that doctor and the medical board that allowed him to kill/maim at least 3 patients.

So don't ever think a settlement is an admission of guilt or innocence. It's how to close a case, and that's about all.

Chris
              Hi,

First off I would not have put myself in the place Brain did so there would be no $5,000,000 I would have come up with.

Secondly, if I was innocent and some company came and threatened to sue me, then yes I would glady pursue it to the end and counter sue for lost income during the whole process.

He runs a business, he should be prepared for anything and this is something that could have easily been prevented, obviously.

Sincerly,
              Guy that signs his posts everytime.
              Last edited by BamaStangGuy; Tue 22nd Nov '05, 2:02pm.

Comment

I wish I knew all these people in real life that would settle baseless legal threats. I would be rich!
                Perhaps an exaggeration but I couldn't resist.

Comment

Pattern of going around accusing folks of ripping PP...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...8&postcount=68

Anunan, and now Brian. That's history talking.

Chris
                  ~~~
                  Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I wish I knew all these people in real life that would settle baseless legal threats. I would be rich!
                    You have to have the money up front to fight it. Then, IF you win, you could counter-sue to recoup your costs.
                    vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

hahaha Yea I could use some extra dollars right now

Comment

Originally posted by BrentWilson
                        Hi,

First off I would not have put myself in the place Brain did so there would be no $5,000,000 I would have come up with.
                        Sure, folks say that all the time until they're sued out of the blue (could be just for chewing on cornflakes too loudly <-- crazy to you, but not to someone "exercising their legal rights").

This happens every day, people who think they're safe, only to find out they never were -- and don't have the money for even a $50/hr attorney (or paralegal), so they settle.

Chris
                        ~~~
                        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by conqsoft
                          You have to have the money up front to fight it. Then, IF you win, you could counter-sue to recoup your costs.
                          So Brian does something questionable and then admits enough to cause AEI to have a reason to bring up a lawsuit.

He went ahead with it anyway, profiting, knowing AEI likes to "bully" people as you say.

Doesn't seem very smart to me.

Some pretty convincing things inside of the court report.

Comment

Anunan, and now Brian. That's history talking.
                            That would be me posting, not Scott. But for the sake of discussion, two incidents in five years is not a pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by DanaSoft
                              That would be me posting, not Scott. But for the sake of discussion, two incidents in five years is not a pattern.
                              Your fighting a losing battle with these guys. They are set in the way. They have the mentality that the big guy is always holding everyone down and the little guy can do no wrong.

Good luck!

Comment

Some of you don't live in California, the same juries that let OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson go free!

The US justice system always state "innocent until proven guilty in the court of law". No one as been proven guilty, both sides agreed to settle out of court.
                                Last edited by Vtec44; Tue 22nd Nov '05, 2:15pm.
                                So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Working...
                                X