Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By the looks of it, that $20 is going to earn a lot of interest.

BTW, if folks don't seem to follow of this (and the reason I even bother in something that I have zero stake in, as I own neither product): this matter could've been settled within the community. vBGallery, although a third party script, was aimed at the vB community. If there is a claim that code was stolen, it could've been brought up in vb.org, so the coders can investigate the matter for themselves -- and prove the claim valid or not (no coder would want their own code lifted, so there's a built in self-checking system, and they despise thieves to boot). Then the community will deal with the matter (like pulling all support threads, and the "word" gets out that the thief is indeed a thief). Rep is everything in that business, so that's enough punishment -- and I'd hate to have to defend myself against a swarm of angry programmers!!

When I say this sends a chill across the entire modding community it's not a broad statement. Folks can preview the accusers posts at vb.org and can see that they drop unsavory comments against at least another vB coder with a similiar script (like the case of Anunan/Drkcoder's own gallery script), without an ounce of evidence. Now we know they made 2 lawsuits as well. And now we, again, see there's no evidence shown of any ACTUAL code lifting with the second case.

The vb modding community doesn't need that type of rival trash. Nor it's reference that it pushes stolen code. It polices itself pretty well, and stolen code will get a thief's mod(s) removed. No court, no lawyers, just the community taking care of their own.

Chris
    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
    ~~~
    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
      I spoke to Scott from AEI last night on ICQ and I think he's well within his rights to protect his intellectual property. You can't sit back and watch you're sales drop when someone is taking advantage of you're code.

I'm not saying that Brian did this, but if Scott has that belief then he has the right to enforce it.
      No one says anyone doesn't have that right, all anyone is asking is "where's the evidence in that claim?"

A programmer plies his trade on his skill and rep. If his rep takes a hit, without evidence, that's not justice -- especially when there is zero evidence proving the claim.

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
      The underlying technology is being put in to place with each release so that we can use the vBulletin core for other products.
      Heads up folks, the PRODUCTS are coming down the pipe!!

Chris
      ~~~
      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• The vb modding community doesn't need that type of rival trash. Nor it's reference that it pushes stolen code. It polices itself pretty well, and stolen code will get a thief's mod(s) removed. No court, no lawyers, just the community taking care of their own.
        A community based on close source licencing. The reason VB.org can't work is for that very reason.

This *****ing really brings home to me the reasons why I want to get away from a closed source licence as soon as possible.
        http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• Actually, it works just fine. As long as it polices itself.

It's when folks think they can sue on any reason, to squash competition, to "get even" or whatever, then it becomes bad news. Not only to Brian, any other coder who's code even remotely looks the same of a rivals. The Anunan/DrkCoder's thread at vB.org is a good example of the slam a coder can get when stray comments are placed, with nothing to back it up. That stuff is uncalled for in the open source and closed source modding communities.

The point in all of this is: make an accusation, put up or shut up.

Chris
          ~~~
          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• I think it would be beneficial for people posting in this thread to say if they have had any dealings with either party.
            Are you or have you at some point owned a Photo Post product?
            Do you know the people at Photo Post?
            Are you or have you at some point owned a vBavanced product?
            Do you know the people at vBadvanced?

In my case the answer to all in no.
            If you answer yes to any of the above, you should recuse yourself from further discussion. Just like a judge would if he were trying the case.

Comment

• This thread is hilarious, you all must be so proud.
              http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• Yeah, its all just people's own opinion. Since Brian and Scott have both not made any official statement anything here is purely speculation.

So what if the code hasn't been taken, its too late now and they've settled. Regardless of people doing checks its just wasted time. Accept this fact and move on.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave#
                  This thread is hilarious, you all must be so proud.
                  Hey, you have a busy site there Dave.

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                  Yeah, its all just people's own opinion. Since Brian and Scott have both not made any official statement anything here is purely speculation.

So what if the code hasn't been taken, its too late now and they've settled. Regardless of people doing checks its just wasted time. Accept this fact and move on.
                  Well said!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                    Actually it's not too late. What's settled between Brian and whoever, is one thing, it's not settled among the community (especially end users). That isn't a waste of time, it's called a service.

Chris
                    ~~~
                    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Originally posted by Zonex
                      I think it would be beneficial for people posting in this thread to say if they have had any dealings with either party.
                      Are you or have you at some point owned a Photo Post product?
                      Do you know the people at Photo Post?
                      Are you or have you at some point owned a vBavanced product?
                      Do you know the people at vBadvanced?

In my case the answer to all in no.
                      If you answer yes to any of the above, you should recuse yourself from further discussion. Just like a judge would if he were trying the case.
                      So, Zonex, does that mean it'll be just you and me posting then?

To be really impartial, anyone who has talked/PMed/Emailed/ICQed with either party of the suit can excuse themselves from the debate as well.

Chris
                      ~~~
                      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• What do you plan to accomplish by doing the checks on the source code? Say you find out Brian did copy the code what happens after that? You say he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• What happens is a choice for folks to decide (which now no one knows is right or wrong, but a code check can confirm).

Not being dictated to on who XYZ thinks is right or wrong, or that it's "pointless".

Chris
                          ~~~
                          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Well, I've been trying to find this while were on the subject of ripping code. Quite a while ago I read a thread were both "TECK" and "NTLDR" posted in a thread about a person ripping there portal code off.

TECK - realeased vBHome (Light) here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ped#post310709

NTLDR - Released vBindex here:
                            http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...hlight=vbindex

Anyway a person called Tigga (AKA - Brian) released "vBHomepage" after there portals which carried the Purple Planet tag in the footer here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ght=vbhomepage

Here is what both Teck and NTLDR had to say about Tigga (Brians) vBHomepage release. Read this page!
                            http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ped#post310709

Comment

• Yeah but O.J. didn't kill his wife and her friend. There's no proof!

Comment

• OJ had the money to go through an entire trial, and was found not guilty, in case you missed it. So, apparently, there was no proof.
                                vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Working...
                                X