No announcement yet.

How Mac is better than windows? 0o)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amiga was the graphics computer of it's day <-- it whipped the Mac. Techy relative had 3 versions of it (Why? It was the computer to use for 3D at the time), and kept them until the 2001 (which sold for a good price along with his kit built Timex-Sinclair, which was even more modded than the one I had).

If that company could resurrect it's past, it could make a graphics computer to drool over again (and us graphic types would appreciate it too -- bad enough dinosaurs still hang onto Macs at the print shop).

Chris
    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
    ~~~
    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I know what the Amiga was... Didn't care for it because it didn't fit my needs at the time.

Don't care for the Mac today because it doesn't fit my needs now. Personal choice.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Well, this is certainly the most well-mannered PC vs Mac threads I've ever read...

Can it be true? Are we finally learning to get along?

I bought my first Mac early this year - Mac Mini, to be exact. It rarely is turned on; mostly for testing web pages, and mainly because I don't have time to really dig in and learn the OS. But it seems okay to me. Another tool... or toy.
        ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

This says enough (a video classic!)...

http://spherule.com/media/video/swit.../switch_dg.mov

Chris
          ~~~
          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I like my mac just fine, it runs, it has safari and a nicer CLI than windows. Its steady and gives me a nix enviroment with a pretty GUI. My windows machines do way more than my mac does though, I can't find a good peice of FTP software which I use way to much to live without. I happen to like Internet Explorer and have never had a problem with it. and it has my games what more could I ask for.

Comment

FetchFTP for Mac isn't bad.

Comment

http://www.panic.com/transmit/
                Works great as an os x FTP client

Windows before Windows 2000 = horrible. Every since they went to the NT format it has gotten much better. I ran nothing but PC's for 5 years and rarely had issues. Most windows issues I believe are due to people tweaking the hell out of it.

With that said I made the move to Mac about 2 years ago and won't go back to working on a PC. It's just what I am used to now and it is a very stable os to run heavy app's on.

I still have 2 PC's. The wife uses one and I use one for testing. With that said... They both have their place and neither are going away.
                Bob- (pank)
                pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

Originally posted by pank
                  They both have their place and neither are going away.
                  Well said.
                  ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                    While $500 can buy some nice performance hardware, that the mini doesn't have. Then be locked into a proprietary system (like owning a Dell, or worse a Packard Hell).

Paying for the name and an OS that doesn't play half the games, let alone run half the software, is a waste. It's like paying full retail price for something, that Wal-Mart offers at 1/2 price.

Chris
                    The mac mini, for $499, comes with a 1.5g powerpc, 512mb ram, 5400rpm 60mb drive, 64mb video, wireless, bluetooth, DVD burner & OS. It's a fair price for the performance. It pushes a 20" wide screen very well. It's a tiny bit slow in the Auction House in Orgrimmar, but it's nothing worth whining about.

Most of us either 1) don't want to deal with mixing and matching parts, and 2) want something that "just works." There is no such thing as driver issues in OS X, for example.

I have never seen an OS that "Just Worked" until I saw OS X. It's largely built from BSD3(?) and has a BSD-like ports system as well - darwinports - that let me install a full virtualhosting system (smtp, imaps/pop3s, web(apache,mono,mod_perl, mod_php), mysql, dns, firewall, dhcp server, yadda) and turn my desktop into a full blown little ISP -- all compiled from scratch. Not to mention the inherit security features you get from it being born from a prominent, proven and secure UNIX family. That being said, being a unix sysadmin, OS X lets me navigate my work environment in a much more user friendly way (f9-f12 are the coolest buttons EVER. Try them once) especially when I'm managing several terms at once.

It's FreeBSD with a better GUI than Windows. The only thing forcing me to keep a windows box is Microsoft Exchange Calendaring -- there isn't an open source solution for that yet.

Anyways give it a shot, you might like it.

Comment

Originally posted by splooge
                      The mac mini, for $499, comes with a 1.5g powerpc, 512mb ram, 5400rpm 60mb drive, 64mb video, wireless, bluetooth, DVD burner & OS. It's a fair price for the performance.
                      Actually, not. For that much I can get even better performing hardware -- and not be stuck in a proprietary loop.

Never bought an off the shelf computer for over 20 years, not going to start now (especially with a dead-end system that doesn't play half the games, or work with 1/2 the software. Just a waste).

Chris
                      ~~~
                      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

The Mac Mini needs a 7,200 RPM drive (and at least 100 GB which is the highest for a laptop drive anyway) and a much better video card to be really appealing to me. Then again, my G4 cube is a 500 MHz G4 with a 20 GB drive...but a lovely Radeon 9200 128 MB that I use just for speeding up Expose.

Still, a Mac Mini is a good secondary computer for playing around with the Mac OS.
                        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X