How Mac is better than windows? 0o)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Mac is better than windows? 0o)

I saw in other forums, and many different webmasters said Machintosh is better than windows. I just don't understand why they say Mac is better. Because all the softwares we see are made for Windows, then when it comes to a web-server people use Linux/Unix and Windows servers mostly. So, how in the world Mac is better than windows?
    Out to Change the world!

It's not better, nor is it worse. It's better for some applications and worse for others (for example, it's better at general stability and ease-of-use but worse at gaming and a wide software base).

I do fully intend to run OS X on my PC some day, legalities be damned (because I would still pay for it). The stability and cleanliness of OS X on the cheap fast hardware of a PC is bliss for me. The mobile experience is certainly a hell of a lot better, mainly given how elegantly simple and unintrusive wireless network and networking locations are unlike the hellscape that is Windows XP SP2 wireless networking.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

War

There are few questions that can be asked on a forum that will start a war more quickly than the mac vs. pc one. I've been on computers since 1976 (dates me, I know) and every single time it has come up, kapow!! Beware, you tread in murky waters. You will find that people tend to defend their OS platform rather vehemently. Side note: we're on mac and have been for twenty five years. I have seven of them at home and goodness knows how many at the office. But I really liked filburt1's answer. It was objective. The platforms really do have different upsides. This said, macs, now more than ever, do have their place in enterprise. Five/ten years ago, nope. Macs were not ready for the office environment. Now, with robust servers, server applications, and true transparency with Windows machines, macs are able to handle most office tasks. I always like to use the following as an example. Right down the road from me is the CERN. It's the European nuclear research hub. It's also the place where Berners Lee invented the web. Guess what, they're on macs!! They have hundreds (I even think thousands) of them. I know the guy who sold them to them. Made lots of money!!
      Anyway, that's my morning contribution. No wars please. My wife works on PC and if she sees this thread she'll have me eating overcooked pasta for a month
      Cause change

Comment

Just because 91% of the OS market is dominated by Windows doesn't mean it's better. It's simply that Microsoft has had a better chance to set up a monopoly than Apple or Linux have.

Almost all major software now works on Windows, Mac and Linux. (Microsoft's own Office Suite is now compatible with Mac OS X Tiger.) OS X Tiger also has some great features, and has security and stability on par with Linux. (i.e. UNIX)
        Forums

Comment

More likely MS had the vision to know the key to an OS success is what programs would run on it. Apple/Linux both have problems in gaining the popular titles which people use everyday. They pick up crumbs, and a stray big name, but they still lack in the breath of office and game program compatibilities (which is a huge reason of having a computer).

Another problem both Apple/Linux have is: snottiness. Each product has a fan base that's stuck up about it's "beauty" -- be Apple's GUI or SCSI adapters; to Linux with it's simple commandlineness. In the tech industry, it translates into...

1. Tech support for Apple/Macs are to be done by designated dealers only (and they make sure to emphasis it with other hardware shops <-- techy relative's shop no longer will service any of them, because the flow of technical data is slowed by stuck up Apple techs. A business can't operate on breadcrumbs, so they got booted from their service [even though folks plea for techy relative's shop to fix their Macs, as they got the best rep in town, the longest service hours, and Apple's own is horrible and expensive]).

2. You get a *nix box in a shop that has security exploits and try to inform this *nix guru that is the case, only to have the *nix guru go into a treatise about *nix is safer than Windows (despite the evidence before him), and his paranoia is so rampant, he goes into a "blame-Bill-Gates" rampage. Techs have no time for it, they got work to do on Winboxes with much more grateful clients.

It's one thing to read the hype online, it's another when you see reality in some hardware shop.

Chris
          "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
          is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
          ~~~
          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Going slightly offtopic: Giray, are you from Switzerland? Or just off the border in France?
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

The whole monoply argument keeps getting older and older...

filburt got it right on, as both have their advantages and disadvantages.
              Webmaster / Administrator
              www.MegaGames.com
              www.MGForums.com

Comment

I agree. I have both and work on both. Each box does their own thing.

Originally posted by Vile
                The whole monoply argument keeps getting older and older...

filburt got it right on, as both have their advantages and disadvantages.
                Kim

Comment

Windows has advantages over Mac.
                  Mac has advantages over Windows.

It works both ways.

However, I would choose Windows over Mac because Windows is what I am used to. I've never even used a Mac come to think of it.

But yeah I think they're just as good as each other in their own ways.
                  "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Creepshow
                    Windows has advantages over Mac.
                    Mac has advantages over Windows.

It works both ways.

However, I would choose Windows over Mac because Windows is what I am used to. I've never even used a Mac come to think of it.

But yeah I think they're just as good as each other in their own ways.
                    You should play around with a Mac; if you really want to start, you can get a Mac Mini for under $500.

OS 9 == unstable; if one program locks, the entire thing locks up and you're screwed. But you can explicitly disable virtual memory and work entirely off physical RAM which is awesome unless you exceed it in memory usage.

OS X == super-stable and one program likely won't bring down the whole OS. Windows claims this but it's not perfect (ever had a process that just will not die, giving "Access Denied"?). It's RAM-hungry though.

For those saying Macs are missing a lot of programs because Windows versions won't run on OS X, remember there are often complementary programs. The only thing I have yet to find that exists in Windows but nothing good (IMO) on OS X is a decent freaking FTP client. The Finder sucks at FTP and none of the other freeware programs I've tried were even 1/10 as good as SmartFTP on Windows.

My desktop (Windows) is my primary machine. My tablet (Windows) is my secondary machine. My G4 Cube I got off eBay (Mac OS X 10.4) is my tertiary machine and I use it pretty much only for testing web pages in Safari, and the occasional playtime in Garageband (best timewaster ever).

One thing I hate about Apple's business and software model is that they often release free programs (although good ones like iMovie aren't free anymore) that depend on the very latest version of the OS. For example, when 10.3 came out, a bunch of new "iApps" were written or adapted for it, but that destroyed backwards-compatibilty, making you spend $129 on a new OS for no reason other than to run the programs.

Although recently the new OSs have been implementing great features you just won't find on Windows, at least not built-in seamlessly. Spotlight is wonderful and Expose alone would make me want to burn my slipstreamed copy of Windows XP that a day to create from my original (legitimate, thank you campus bookstore for $15 copies back in the day) copy and adding automatic CD key acceptance, SP2, and Intel SATA RAID drivers.

But I digress.
                    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                      You should play around with a Mac; if you really want to start, you can get a Mac Mini for under $500.
                      While $500 can buy some nice performance hardware, that the mini doesn't have. Then be locked into a proprietary system (like owning a Dell, or worse a Packard Hell).

Paying for the name and an OS that doesn't play half the games, let alone run half the software, is a waste. It's like paying full retail price for something, that Wal-Mart offers at 1/2 price.

Chris
                      ~~~
                      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                        ( or worse a Packard Hell).
                        You do know that Packard Bell went out of business over 10 years ago right?
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          Are you sure? I've seen advertisements on tv for Packard Bell PC's and Laptops. Have they been revived?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            http://www.packardbell.com/

Don't know where you got your info, but I'd suspect it's also one that says Amiga is dead too.

Chris
                            ~~~
                            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                              http://www.packardbell.com/

Don't know where you got your info, but I'd suspect it's also one that says Amiga is dead too.

Chris
                              Considering I was at their bankruptcy liquidation sell when their warehouse was emptied and locked and rented to a new company, that is where I got my information. Looks like they started up again. Don't see them here anywhere in California though.

Never really cared for or followed the Amiga so it doesn't even blip on my radar.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X