phpbb (interesting read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phpbb (interesting read)

I was just looking at the Area51 section on the phpbb site to see how phpbb 3.0 is coming along and found this thread.

I never knew that both pso, and cyberalien had abandoned phpbb now, man that sad and you can read the thread here:
    http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewto...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 13th Nov '05, 9:36pm.

That goes to a FAQ.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

what goes to FAQ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Bolton
        what goes to FAQ?
        The link you posted goes to a php 3.0 Development FAQ

So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Oh sorry, edited link in first posts.

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewto...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

After reading it, it seems they have scrapped any plans to add a Quick Reply box to the forum. They seem to be under the impression it spoils community discussion as a whole and tends to entice people into 1 line replies instead, rather than taking part in proper discussion like the full reply box does.

Comment

I just found this - psoTFX personal leaving message on a blog as to why he left phpBB

http://www.starstreak.net/blog/2005/09/14/im-free/
            Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 13th Nov '05, 9:55pm.

Comment

Not surprised at all.

This infighting is rampant online. Be it the "Big Boys" with a 100 million dollar game project, to the open source project for sorting toothpicks. As long as the team can't work together (or stay together), the results above destroys the project in the end.

What happened to Ion Storm - Dallas branch should be a lesson for any developer to never repeat: never get too big for your own pants, and never leak company documents to smear other team members (look up the fiasco online, one site still has the juicy gossip 4 years later). Ion Storm is now dead, as their business model literally stunk (waiting 4 years for a half baked sequel was the final straw -- the fans revolted this time <-- don't force PC gamers to be XBox gamers with it's silly user interfaces). Now, like with any community that's on life support, it's the fans that will have to keep the modding and game updates alive.

Same seems to be the future for Ikonboard and phpBB -- all because management isn't there; it stinks; or it's products don't match the expectations of it's clients.

Chris
              "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
              is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
              ~~~
              Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

last time i checked, Ikonboard was offline

Comment

Only due to infighting over ownership rights. It's not dead, dead, it's on life support now.

Chris
                  ~~~
                  Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Let me put it to you this way, phpBB was a dying forum, I used phpBB 4 or 5 years ago, when it was fairly new, great forum back then. But then it started getting to the point they were trying to keep up with vBulletin then couldn't. At one point I offered my assistance but was refused and told to basically get lost. I then stumbled upon PHP-Nuke with phpBB integrated, loved it, used it for about a year then I got hacked and if I hadn't of been online to catch it and get the hacker off of the site, I would have lost everything, so I decided to buy vBulletin which was Dec of last year. For the past 4 or 5 years now, I have been visiting phpBB to see if they would release a 3.0 version as they are still trying to keep up with vBulletin but its not working.

I asked about it and got cussed out by a bunch of members and moderators. So I just kept my words to myself knowing the forum was going to fail and soon it will cease to exist but vBulletin will remain up there with the rest of the big dogs. Now pretty soon their won't be 1 coder left for phpBB, hosting will expire, domain will expire, then their will be splurge of sales for vBulletin, UBB, and possibly Ikonboard.

Now if I could have gotten hired by vBulletin to code and do whatever for them, man I would be the luckiest and happiest man in the world, and one to brag to everyone in my neighborhood. But instead I'm gonna have to start a business in window washing so I have job security. LOL

Anyways, phpBB is not good nor will it ever be good. I think I was possessed the first time I used it and the second time when I used PHP-Nuke.

One thing I can say good tho, I learned to code phpBB, invision, vBulletin, UBB.threads, and Ikonboard, so thats something to smile about.

Cheers and thats my 2 cents
                    Myth

Comment

Personally I think the best new board to compare to phpBB problems would be MyBB. This board as come from nowhere well after phpBB been around. And already it's at the same stage were phpBB 3.0 is trying to get. That speaks volumes that a new board like MyBB is already leaps and bounds ahead of phpBB considering they have no massive development team (just like phpBB), been around for less time than phpBB, and is free just like phpBB. And yet there miles ahead of them.

For me that's the board to compare against phpBB. So they can't argue the toss like they do against vB saying that vB have paid staff and this and that for excuses as to why vB do things much faster than them. They cannot throw these same arguments against MyBB board. Plus I totally agree with you. I have nothing against phpBB, but there board can be very hostile if you say one wrong word. They hate you even mentioning another type of forum board there, which baffles me seeing as phpBB is free and it's not as though there trying to protect a paid product from loss sales.

If you mention vB or Invision there - your told in no uncertain terms to either shutup or get banned, you even asked to remove site signature links if they see they lead to a vB board you own etc. Thats already happened to me there when a mod sent me a PM asking me to remove my signature link becuase it wasn't a phpBB site! Now I could understand vB saying that seeing as they have sales to lose. But not from a site that giving away a free board.
                      Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 14th Nov '05, 9:54pm.

Comment

myBB is trying to be more like vB. Complete with AJAX and plugin functions. Not an easy effort for a free board, but it'll really stoke the competition fire between IPB and vB (as they know a puppy can grow up to be a mean doggy).

Which in the end for the end-user, a win-win deal.

I look at vB as a stock fund. Bought a license and paying a yearly upkeep, so would prefer for it to remain competitive so development will continue. Competition helps in keeping any company from being complacent (they all learn what can happen to big companies like IBM and Sears, if they don't adapt fast enough). Which ensures "investors" of getting more than just security upgrades in the future.

Chris
                        ~~~
                        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

well I like the old phpBB 2.0 as a simple to use board. It looks nice, is fast, and an ideal board for a begginer or people with little money who want a no frills board that does the job. But I feel a little sad when I read threads there were die hard phpbb people are still trying to compare phpBB to vB and Invision. Both these boards have now moved so far ahead of phpBB. It's simply foolish to try and compare phpBB to vB anymore as a benchmark of how good phpBB is.

There no longer even in the same league.

Comment

Well I never, talking about MyBB, it seems they have a vBulletin skin now for there board.
                            http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=3652

Comment

myBB is getting a lot of support. Maybe largely due to their community not being stuck up.

As for phpBB's popularity declining, by the looks of that big-boards.com chart, it looks like it's use has spiked, while vB's has slumped (which I believe is due to the upgrade hassle, and release of so many version upgrades back-to-back -- which causes end-users [who the majority aren't modders/coders] to be confused about upgrading or wanting too]).

But competition is essential, and without it, we'll be facing the antics of an IBM and Sears (dinosaurs that refuse to change or undervalue competition -- i.e., MS and Wal-mart).

Chris
                              ~~~
                              Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X