Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noobie Question About Generating Users

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Vtec44
    I'm also lost on this one, how can a hacker friend help out? I have a group of friends,
    if u read my post here
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=10

    i add 3 choise .. 1- is Team like what u say 2-ads 3-hackers

    i dont no this by my self because i'm not a hackers but i belive i have heard that hackers can make your forums acive by use some trick they know dont ask me what trick because i dontn o .. but big webmaster have said this .. so that one reson i add the 3 choise

    Comment


    • #17
      The term "hacker" usually refer to people that use their skills to gain illegal access to a computer or a computer network. I don't see any relations between that and attracting & retain members on a forum If you're referring to "hackers" as people who write vB modifications, with vB3.5 you don't need to have a "hacker" friend, go to vb.org, download the hacks, upload to your server, import, and you're done!
      Last edited by Vtec44; Sat 12 Nov '05, 12:45pm.
      So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Vtec44
        The term "hacker" usually refer to people that use their skills to gain illegal access to a computer or a computer network. I don't see any relations between that and attracting & retain members on a forum If you're referring to "hackers" as people who write vB modifications, with vB3.5 you don't need to have a "hacker" friend, go to vb.org, download the hacks, upload to your server, import, and you're done!
        True, who needs hackers these days to mod your own board with vB.org
        It's called: D.I.Y (do it yourself)

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Vtec44
          vb.org
          yeah u right ...

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Gary Bolton
            Let me get this right - I have to go find a friend who is a "HACKER" to help me out, why a Hacker, why must he be a hacker?
            A hacker can help a lot, because he can do things to your server that even a sys admin might not know about (especially on security matters). Whitehats can improve the chances that exploits are harder to exist.

            Sys admins know their stuff, whitehats know theirs, and combine the two your forum will be pretty safe from hijackings and other crap (remember it's hard to be a generalist in computing, too much knowledge/experience to be good at any one field).

            Some communities just draw a bad element by it's nature, so a hacker can help to keep the serious forum destroyers out (it's very interesting what they can turn up over all the IDS ware and other defensive measures as well).

            Chris
            "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
            is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
            ~~~
            Leonardo da Vinci

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Okie
              ii belive i have heard that hackers can make your forums acive by use some trick they know dont ask me what trick because i dontn o ..
              Yep. And there's other little tricks they can do to make the forum look more alive than not.

              But one of the dangers of that approach (and why it's not used, besides the dangers of such scripts) someone who knows forums and communities can tell that something isn't right (like the online members show 200+ online with 800 bots for guests, but the posting ratio is non-existent, for example). The member or guest can pick up either a script is being used to inflate online stats, or everyone is using a private forum (which is unlikely, since it's private, the entire community shouldn't be posting there).

              Chris
              "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
              is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
              ~~~
              Leonardo da Vinci

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                Yep. And there's other little tricks they can do to make the forum look more alive than not.

                But one of the dangers of that approach (and why it's not used, besides the dangers of such scripts) someone who knows forums and communities can tell that something isn't right (like the online members show 200+ online with 800 bots for guests, but the posting ratio is non-existent, for example). The member or guest can pick up either a script is being used to inflate online stats, or everyone is using a private forum (which is unlikely, since it's private, the entire community shouldn't be posting there).

                Chris
                The bit I highlighted in red above. I have already seen this done on a site, and like you say it can be spotted a mile off. Took me one visit to the site to spot this, look how active the posts were and then realized is was one big con.

                Only theres was rigged at more like 470 members online and 500 guests. Yeh a Hacker can do stuff like that, but whats the point. Does'nt take that long to put two and two together and get "0". That is way to easy to spot. Simply becuase if you had that many members online you would expect postings to be made very regular, and when you see thats not the case with 500 members online. Well you don't have to be a rocket sienctist to know something is just not right!
                Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 12 Nov '05, 6:13pm.

                Comment


                • #23
                  It can work though. But the admin has to be pretty clever to pull it off. From what I've been seeing in that department (and forum seeding) it's dismal, though.

                  Chris
                  "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                  is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                  ~~~
                  Leonardo da Vinci

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                    Yep. And there's other little tricks they can do to make the forum look more alive than not.

                    But one of the dangers of that approach (and why it's not used, besides the dangers of such scripts) someone who knows forums and communities can tell that something isn't right (like the online members show 200+ online with 800 bots for guests, but the posting ratio is non-existent, for example). The member or guest can pick up either a script is being used to inflate online stats, or everyone is using a private forum (which is unlikely, since it's private, the entire community shouldn't be posting there).

                    Chris

                    That is not what i mean and this dose not need a hacker to do this .. u can simply edit this and edit the post easy with the phpmyadmin make Thread 100000 and post 500000 and member 60000000 some one with basic mysql and phpmyadmin can do this .. and easy to catch up you also can fake the Forums states etc.. but there is no point in doing this ...

                    i mean a real hacker who can bring for u a real member who intersted in your site .. that is the point How and no way i dontno i only heard it some place

                    There is a website Start 5/6 manth ago know they have 36000 members / already add in big boards No ads with any company ..

                    There is a website who Pay alot of $$$$ ads their website and have a good team from vb.org and vb.com and a very very good content they still with 8000 members and with 100000+ Post ..
                    Last edited by Okie; Sat 12 Nov '05, 7:25pm.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Content!
                      So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        What I'm referring to does (isn't db editing). All remotely as well.

                        Chris
                        "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                        is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                        ~~~
                        Leonardo da Vinci

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Okie
                          That is not what i mean and this dose not need a hacker to do this .. u can simply edit this and edit the post easy with the phpmyadmin make Thread 100000 and post 500000 and member 60000000 some one with basic mysql and phpmyadmin can do this .. and easy to catch up you also can fake the Forums states etc.. but there is no point in doing this ...

                          i mean a real hacker who can bring for u a real member who intersted in your site .. that is the point How and no way i dontno i only heard it some place

                          There is a website Start 5/6 manth ago know they have 36000 members / already add in big boards No ads with any company ..

                          There is a website who Pay alot of $$$$ ads their website and have a good team from vb.org and vb.com and a very very good content they still with 8000 members and with 100000+ Post ..
                          You keep going on about PAYING for adds. Can you tell me how much it would cost per month out of pure curiosity to advertise your site with Google per month. Throw some figures up for us to look at.

                          Also, I really don't understand what you mean by Hackers can bring other people to your site. I mean, I would imagine that Hackers are into hacking and modding etc. And they would mainly know people with similar interest mainly due to this. So if I run a site lets say about keeping FROGS, were does that come into it?

                          How many hackers do you know, that know people that keep FROGS!

                          Of course of I'm saying this is a joking way to try and say what I mean.
                          Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 12 Nov '05, 8:03pm.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Great Advice

                            Wow, thanx for all the great advice. This is one of the most helpfull forums I have been on.

                            I was thinking to myself that since I was brand new to this it would be easier to get going in a local enviroment. What I've done is try to go outside the norm of the cookie cutter corp sites that my city produces & go a little more edgy.I took your advice & got a couple of friends & just asked them to post to each other on some interesting topics as if they didnt know each other just to get something going.

                            As far as the topics I think I'm on the right path...I hope. any suggestions would be appriciated.

                            www.forums.thevillagestl.com

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Cool. You may also want to try to ask local businesses to help spread the words in exchange for some free advertising. They can also offer some coupons if customers are from your site.
                              So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Vtec44
                                Cool. You may also want to try to ask local businesses to help spread the words in exchange for some free advertising. They can also offer some coupons if customers are from your site.
                                Benefits of the local market is REAL community marketing (friend-to-friend; business-to-business).

                                Tip: for a local community forum, put up a rants and rave section. From what I've seen they're usually the most popular forum on a site (folks love to gripe about local government; bad roads; bad chow; and also give praise to the folks that did a good job, but they had no way of stating it otherwise). That'll give the local community an outlet, and a base to get them to want to keep coming back.

                                Next thing you know, the forum will get local news airplay (someone is going to release a scope, and the local news will highlight where it came from). Which can ignite your forum (media spots do wonders for traffic!).

                                Chris
                                "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                                is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                                ~~~
                                Leonardo da Vinci

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X