Live.com??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live.com??

Has anyone been following the new Microsoft Live initiative? Windows Live, Office Live, Web Messenger Live.

Check: http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?i...&category=main
    Last edited by someuser190826; Sat 5 Nov '05, 8:50pm.

I've been reading up on it. I like how they're trying to move into offering desktop applications as web services. I was playing with live.com yesterday and it's basically the same as google.com/ig at the moment. We'll have to see how far they take the concept.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
      I've been reading up on it. I like how they're trying to move into offering desktop applications as web services. I was playing with live.com yesterday and it's basically the same as google.com/ig at the moment. We'll have to see how far they take the concept.
      I like their whole incorporate of the LIVE concept in their new initiative.

Comment

I've been reading up on it. I like how they're trying to move into offering desktop applications as web services.
        I actually wrote a term paper on this type of technology. A mobile office suite that could be loaded directly through the web. Storage obviously isn't an issue considering today's compression techniques. Bandwidth is becoming less and less of a problem. Something like GoogleNet could make this a huge possibility.

Live.com really offers nothing more than say Google or Yahoo. I've already established my setup on Google, so its going to take a pretty large feature set to make me switch. The organization feature gets used but once, hardly a feature set.
        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Isn't this what the guy from Orcale wanted to do when he was looking to buy Apple several years ago?
          ...steven
          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
            I actually wrote a term paper on this type of technology. A mobile office suite that could be loaded directly through the web. Storage obviously isn't an issue considering today's compression techniques. Bandwidth is becoming less and less of a problem. Something like GoogleNet could make this a huge possibility.

Live.com really offers nothing more than say Google or Yahoo. I've already established my setup on Google, so its going to take a pretty large feature set to make me switch. The organization feature gets used but once, hardly a feature set.
            http://www.writely.com/BasePage.aspx

There were several I found yesterday, including excel-like online spreadsheets, and powerpoint generators. Only could find this one today. And I have to say, that is one gorgeous design
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Oh, man that would be perfect for my sis. If it's not a program to install, it'll be perfect for her (it's taking everything I got to just get her to use a browser and not AOL).

Chris
              "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
              is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
              ~~~
              Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I have over the past 2 months been working on ideas such as like google and microsofts take on these custom pages, http://www.thetechaven.com uses drag and drop, buggy in firefox at the moment but Ie works well. Just now with live.com being released im not sure if its going to work out as planned, would you rather go to a lower site or a higher site?

Comment

Checkout the flashy www.goowy.com
                  Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

Originally posted by M1th
                    Checkout the flashy www.goowy.com
                    Does look good, I just find it too free, you can move a box to any place you like doesnt seem right to me.

Comment

http://www.writely.com/BasePage.aspx

There were several I found yesterday, including excel-like online spreadsheets, and powerpoint generators. Only could find this one today. And I have to say, that is one gorgeous design
                      I included this in my paper a while back, but it has improved greatly since. With some publicity, something like this would have major potential. Integrate it into your personal desktop to make it feel local, then have the ability to load it anywhere else in the world.
                      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I have seen it... However currently it doesn't offer anything that I haven't had available to me on my MSN Premium account homepage for the last three years.

It would be interesting if they implement collaborative document creation to say the least. Been working on some websites for a publisher using Dreamweaver and Contribute lately and I have to say it completely changes the development medium. All I have to do is instantiate a website (setup domain and webspace) and publish a template and the book authors can go in and create their own copy. Sites are huge enormous works of art yet, but the authors can create pages in real-time with needing a PHP or MySQL backend and they edit them directly on their PC in a rich editor environment.

To have the same applied to other documents would create a lot of opportunities.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X