X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRGTB
    replied
    Originally posted by MidnightPyro
    I worked at an amusement park selling Ice Cream. It sucked. Line of 50 people, 90 degrees outside, there's NO END to the line. The shortest shift I had was 9 hours, longest was 16 hours. My typical shift was 10-close on Saturday (10 AM to around 11 PM) and 8-5 on Sunday. It sucked. You were always running around doing something, the line never went down, the pay sucked, and you were treated like ****. Oh, and why you were doing this, the 'Supervisors' who were suppose to be checking on you were inside in the air conditioning playing with rubber balls (because they didn't have any of their own)

So I (sort of) quit that, and went to work at the Zoo. Same type of stuff, but the management there is really cool, they try to make you happy, and pay is higher. ($7.50 hour). Plus it's only 8 hour shifts, and from around 10-12, and 4-6, there's no one there So you just sorta sit around drinking coffee and reading the paper. It's beautiful.
    Lucky you! Hard these days to find a job that you accually enjoy doing that pays the bills.

Leave a comment:

• MidnightPyro
    replied
    I worked at an amusement park selling Ice Cream. It sucked. Line of 50 people, 90 degrees outside, there's NO END to the line. The shortest shift I had was 9 hours, longest was 16 hours. My typical shift was 10-close on Saturday (10 AM to around 11 PM) and 8-5 on Sunday. It sucked. You were always running around doing something, the line never went down, the pay sucked, and you were treated like ****. Oh, and why you were doing this, the 'Supervisors' who were suppose to be checking on you were inside in the air conditioning playing with rubber balls (because they didn't have any of their own)

So I (sort of) quit that, and went to work at the Zoo. Same type of stuff, but the management there is really cool, they try to make you happy, and pay is higher. ($7.50 hour). Plus it's only 8 hour shifts, and from around 10-12, and 4-6, there's no one there So you just sorta sit around drinking coffee and reading the paper. It's beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    I work as a busboy at a restaurant and make a little more than $9/hour. It's not as hard to get a job as you might think.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Lurk
    Hello everyone, I'm just wondering if anybody has a suggestion on making some money? Currently, I'm unemployed, a high school student. Are there any easy ways, for example, ads, where I can just put them up and just sit and watch. All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance.
    Lurk
    Better yet...go work at In-N-Out. You're one of the more lucky people that happens to have an In-N-Out in their state .

Probably you may even get a fellow vBulletin Team Member walking in once in a while

Leave a comment:

• MidnightPyro
    replied
    Playing devil's advocate a bit here, one could counter-argue that it takes the same type of commitment to do something else, like for example become a graphic designer on the internet (I suck at graphics, so this really isn't a personal one.) Setting up a portfolio, dealing with clients etc. takes a certain degree of professionalism, and although getting out in the real world is arguably a better experience, I believe as long as one is working doing something productive, then it's a good experience.

The other problem is, we have 6-8 hours of school each day 5 days a week. This IS our job. It's about the same hours as a full time job. If you add that in to sports/recreation, after school activites, homework etc, it's just simply too much to do that and a job. Shoot to do something during the summer

Leave a comment:

• s1l3ncer
    replied
    Well guys let me burst your bubbles. but workin in mac donals or any fast food join is better than not wokrin and askin money to your parents or friends hell even your girlfreind. a smart and wise kid once said "Is better to work and or pick up cans for cash then to get cought stealin, or bumin off people like a leech"

P.S that kid is me

Leave a comment:

• Andrew111888
    replied
    Originally posted by MidnightPyro
    That's not too bad Andrew I got $6.75/hour this summer for operating the icee machines at the zoo. Basically, from the hours of 10-12, then from 3-6, I sat there and looked pretty. I should've brought a paper or a book or something to keep me busy Unless I find another job, it looks like I'll be going back there this summer :P
    I'm a food server. If I work the early shift for a meal I fill up the water bottles with ice, then water, fill up the butter containers, and if it's dinner the crackers then take them all out to the 38 tables. Once that's done we chill for a few minutes then serve drinks. If it's lunch we also serve salads at this time (horrible).

Once the drinks are served we then serve the meal. Once the meal is served we serve dessert, then three of the servers will bus the tables then set them (wiped off with a rag, placemats, napkins, forks, tea spoons, soup spoons, knives, mug plates, mugs, glasses, all varying depending on the meal it's being set for). The forth server will deliver meals, pick up the waters/butters/crackers, polish the kitchen metal, scoop ice cream, fill the table condiments (such as sweet-n-low) and fill milks if necessary for breakfast.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisLM2001
    replied
    The difference between our parents and folks today about jobs: our parents weren't so proud not to get their hands dirty. They would dig ditches, put up trash, wash dishes, pack goods, clean houses, babysit, etc.. Honest money always feels good, and when it's spent it's also more appreciated.

Once you get things for free (or have an addiction to getting everything for free and/or getting paid for doing nothing) the quality and appreciation of and for things decreases. Only when you put blood, sweat and tears into something does the value really show (as it's personal now) -- and where pride shines.

So get a job, any legit and legal one, and work your way up (as the experience you'll learn from being on the bottom will motivate you to rise to the top -- and you hopefully won't make your own employees slaves, either).

Chris

Leave a comment:

• MidnightPyro
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew111888
    $7.18 an hour...
    That's not too bad Andrew I got $6.75/hour this summer for operating the icee machines at the zoo. Basically, from the hours of 10-12, then from 3-6, I sat there and looked pretty. I should've brought a paper or a book or something to keep me busy Unless I find another job, it looks like I'll be going back there this summer :P

Leave a comment:

• Andrew111888
    replied
    $7.18 an hour...

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew111888
    The pay I receive compared to the ease of the work I do is quite serious .
    lol cool.

Leave a comment:

• MidnightPyro
    replied
    Originally posted by Lurk
    Hello everyone, I'm just wondering if anybody has a suggestion on making some money? Currently, I'm unemployed, a high school student. Are there any easy ways, for example, ads, where I can just put them up and just sit and watch. All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance.
    Lurk
    I'm in the same situation as you are. But I wouldn't go work for McDonalds. I really feel sorry for those people. They all like tired, greasy, demotivated, depressed, and probably on suicide watch. The economy is down the crapper here, so all of the "decent" jobs are occupied by college students. The smaller computer stores are flopping, and the only places that are actively hiring are gas stations (3rd shift), fast food places, and Best Buy - who wants MCSE+, network+, and A+...and that's for the $7/hour job.

Finding something decent that isn't cleaning out the deep fryer with your tongue is hard

Leave a comment:

• Andrew111888
    replied
    Originally posted by Creepshow
    lol you serious?
    The pay I receive compared to the ease of the work I do is quite serious .

Leave a comment:

• free thinker
    replied
    Easy money...let me know how that goes for ya!

Leave a comment:

• WurkAnimal
    replied
    You could allways make a website and put some ads on it, you can earn money by diong that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X