KDE vs GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohhh, I see.
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

KDE screen shots

Gnome Screenshots

Personally I use KDE, but I have heard Gnome is a lot more standardised. As some people say - the "Linux Desktop" is a few years behind. It all depends on what your (or other peoples) usage is though - for the basic needs of using a computer for Internet, e-mail and the odd letter in Open Office - its more than enough. Plus it will run on your old hardware

For free!
      HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
      -
      Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
        for the basic needs of using a computer for Internet, e-mail and the odd letter in Open Office - its more than enough.
        Some of us need more than basic needs.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Yep, some of us do - some of the time.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Linux stuff... Wouldn't worry about it too much. They are still a few years behind Windows and Macintosh in my opinion. KDE is closer out of the two. Of course someone will come in with all this mumbo jumbo now on how they are both better but I personally don't think so. They are just a step above a command-line interface and have a lot of rough edges in their default styles.
            You are hilarious as usual Wayne. Keep it up.
            http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
              for the basic needs of using a computer for Internet, e-mail and the odd letter in Open Office - its more than enough.
              I'd like to try Mac's OSX, as their GUI is #1, but their hardware is just too expensive, and lacks the bang for the buck. So for now, I prefer Gnome, as I don't like to Ctrl-Alt-Delete all the time on Windoze.
              vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave#
                Simply stating my opinion... Have a hard drive which I use to "test" various Linux distributions on a semi-regular basis, about every six months. Nothing available yet gives me what I want as compareable to Windows XP. The breadth of hardware support, application support or ease of use is not met to my standards.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Dave#
                  lol
                  -

Comment

Simply stating my opinion... Have a hard drive which I use to "test" various Linux distributions on a semi-regular basis, about every six months. Nothing available yet gives me what I want as compareable to Windows XP. The breadth of hardware support, application support or ease of use is not met to my standards.
                    It's not really up to the standards of windows in terms of the user freindly aspect of it, especially in terms of default hardware support although there are many independent projects to deal with that, really once it's all setup though it does everything you need other than for gamers. I personally use it for my coding needs, also it doesn't crash at all, atleast in my experience, I can keep my linux installation running for weeks with no slow downs, errors etc. My windows XP installation can usually last about 4-5 days before it needs a reboot.

Comment

Linux stuff... Wouldn't worry about it too much. They are still a few years behind Windows and Macintosh in my opinion. KDE is closer out of the two. Of course someone will come in with all this mumbo jumbo now on how they are both better but I personally don't think so. They are just a step above a command-line interface and have a lot of rough edges in their default styles.
                      Time to put on the asbestos suit heheh

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud Strife
                        It's not really up to the standards of windows in terms of the user freindly aspect of it, especially in terms of default hardware support although there are many independent projects to deal with that, really once it's all setup though it does everything you need other than for gamers. I personally use it for my coding needs, also it doesn't crash at all, atleast in my experience, I can keep my linux installation running for weeks with no slow downs, errors etc. My windows XP installation can usually last about 4-5 days before it needs a reboot.
                        I can run on windows for weeks, before I do a reboot.

¤ Uptime: (2w 4h 38m 11s) ¤ Record Uptime: (2w 17h 49m 13s set on Tue Oct 11 09:50:26 2005)s

Comment

Having run a support site for Suse linux from version 9.0 I came to the conclusion that a lot of folks who switched lacked the knowledge initially on where to find stuff to meet their needs. Multimedia being one of them. The last year has seen great strides in linux especially KDE, Gnome is falling back and looks tired in comparison. I only have one piece of software I found I could not do without and that was Photoshop. I got Crossover office and Photoshop runs just fine under linux. Just wait till you see KDE 4, now that will be the one to compete with Vista, so expect greater advances in the Linux GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by centris
                            I only have one piece of software I found I could not do without and that was Photoshop. I got Crossover office and Photoshop runs just fine under linux.
                            I reboot into XP once a year, to prepare my Taxes. That's the only app I can't find in Linux yet. It's always in the back of my mind to develop an open source tax package, if I ever have the time.
                            vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Comment

Most people switch to Linux wanting it to be 'just like windows' and that will be a disapointment becaus it wont ever be like that.

What I did, was to start on Windows switching to all OSS substitues for the programs I used that had both Linux/windows versions, then do a dual boot setup (I use those removeable harddrive cases you put the HD in so you can switch drives easily) and slowly start getting used to Linux, switching back and forth so it does not become a pain that you can't get something to work under Linux. When I had everything under control, and I was comfortable with everything, I started to find it a pain going back to windows, I only realy use windows for gaming now, all my dev. tools on Linux kicks the cr*p out of the windows versions.

Comment

Originally posted by ILTK
                                Most people switch to Linux wanting it to be 'just like windows' and that will be a disapointment becaus it wont ever be like that.

What I did, was to start on Windows switching to all OSS substitues for the programs I used that had both Linux/windows versions, then do a dual boot setup (I use those removeable harddrive cases you put the HD in so you can switch drives easily) and slowly start getting used to Linux, switching back and forth so it does not become a pain that you can't get something to work under Linux. When I had everything under control, and I was comfortable with everything, I started to find it a pain going back to windows, I only realy use windows for gaming now, all my dev. tools on Linux kicks the cr*p out of the windows versions.
                                I did this once about 2 years ago.... Spent 9 months transitioning from Windows to Linux and then spent 6 months on Linux Exclusively. Kept hitting roadblocks when looking for equivalent programs that fit my needs, spent more time trying to configure and patch the OS than getting work done, and was generally miserable trying to get things accomplished. Maybe it was the distribution I finally settled on (SUSE 8.1 Professional) but didn't quite sit well with me.

Thinking of bringing an inhouse webserver online using Linux but my Window's box handling that job works fine. Plus since most games don't work on Linux and my children and wife wouldn't be able to use most of their programs on the OS, it makes sense to standardize with a single OS and set of applications.

Wayne Luke

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X