Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I check how much swap space I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I check how much swap space I have?

I installed Final Fantasy 7 on an old computer and it tells me I have insufficient swap space. How would I go about checking how much I have and how do I change it?

MGM out

When was the last time you ran Disk Defragment?

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
      I installed Final Fantasy 7 on an old computer and it tells me I have insufficient swap space. How would I go about checking how much I have and how do I change it?

MGM out
      Right-click My Computer, Properties, System, Advanced, and virtual memory settings are buried in there somewhere. It is usually 1.5 times the amount of physical memory you have.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
        Right-click My Computer, Properties, System, Advanced, and virtual memory settings are buried in there somewhere. It is usually 1.5 times the amount of physical memory you have.
        Thanks alot!

LEAD, it's an old, old computer that I only recently put Windows on it. So I'm not sure why a defragment would matter

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
          Thanks alot!

LEAD, it's an old, old computer that I only recently put Windows on it. So I'm not sure why a defragment would matter

MGM out
          Was reading about it on microsoft and it mention to do that plus use SpeedDisk?
          It could of been swap file???

Comment

There's no need to use SpeedDisk, just defrag once in a while and optimize your drive.

For example, if you have multiple hard drives (not partitions) you could have the OS on one, and put the temp dirs and swap file on the other. Spread the load a little.

Comment

For low RAM systems, Cacheman from http://www.outertech.com is a nice little optimizer to keep installed. Combine this with a swap (or "paging" for Win) file on another drive and your computer will purr right along. Use "Balance" for disk cache rather than "Minimize" or else you'll just waste resources your computer could otherwise be using.

Note: Using a swap file on a different drive only enhances performance if it's a separate physical drive (not a partition on the same drive, although this will stop the drive from fragging as much).
              "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
              It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

umm, look at the size of pagefile.sys?

Comment

Originally posted by Zonex
                  umm, look at the size of pagefile.sys?
                  And how does that help me change it

I got it though, thanks anyway

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll look into those programs and possibly install a few on that pos and see if I can get it working any better.

MGM out

Comment

HINT: Ubuntu + Cedega. If it's a crappy computer, you don't want a bloated PoS on it...I've seen Ubuntu run on a 140MHz Laptop...albeit slowly

Comment

Originally posted by dota
                      HINT: Ubuntu + Cedega. If it's a crappy computer, you don't want a bloated PoS on it...I've seen Ubuntu run on a 140MHz Laptop...albeit slowly
                      Well, the pc is an 500MHz AMD with only 56MB of RAM (I plan on upgrading this to at least 256, so I can play Rise of Nations ). Windows XP runs fine on it, albiet slowly. I may install Windows 2000 or 98 since they're a bit faster than XP on older computers (from my experience)

MGM out

Comment

i run 2k on an old p133 it isnt as slow as you think it would be w/64 megs of ram

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X