Hurricane Wilma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Wilma

What can I say? It looks like South Florida (particularly my area of Miami, north, and south of us too) will be taking part in Chapter 3 of the Hurricane Saga of 2005. Oh joy. The best part is I'm smack in the middle, more or less, of where this storm is projected to hit.

If anyone's been following, last night Hurricane Wilma was a Category 2 (this was at 11PM EST). Early this morning it was a confirmed Category 5 storm and has broken all sorts of records, including the lowest pressure of 888mb from Gilbert (I believe that was the one) years ago with her own pressure of 884mb.

Canals around here are flooded to near-top as they (I believe that's the cause) opened the flood gates - unsure of that but canals in the area are more full than usual.

Tons of traffic heading up from Key West. I'm getting the shutters up tomorrow... it doesn't look like Florida will be able to dodge this one.

Overall, doesn't look good. I can only hope it weakens before it gets here.
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

I'm sorry to hear that man. You should really think about leaving Florida for a while until things get better... if you need a place to stay, my place in Michigan is always open for residence

MGM out

Comment

How far inland are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
        How far inland are you?
        I'm roughly less than ten miles inland (move some buildings over and I can see the ocean in the distance). Great, but also doesn't help that this part of the state is below sea level. The one thing I am happy about is that it's coming in from the other side of the state, so when and if it comes through here, it will be less strong. The downside if how fast it moves over the state.

Comment

Well I'd stay

I don't know how I missed this one, ussally I'm into hurricanes and watch them even when they don't come near land. Here is some info on it, look at the pressure!

Tracking info for Hurricane Wilma
          Time Lat Lon Wind(mph) Pressure Storm type
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          21 GMT 10/15/05 17.6N 78.8W 30 1004 Tropical Depression
          03 GMT 10/16/05 17.0N 79.0W 30 1003 Tropical Depression
          09 GMT 10/16/05 17.0N 79.3W 35 1003 Tropical Depression
          15 GMT 10/16/05 17.1N 79.3W 35 1002 Tropical Depression
          21 GMT 10/16/05 17.7N 79.6W 35 1001 Tropical Depression
          03 GMT 10/17/05 17.6N 79.7W 35 1001 Tropical Depression
          09 GMT 10/17/05 17.2N 79.7W 40 1000 Tropical Storm
          15 GMT 10/17/05 16.3N 80.0W 45 998 Tropical Storm
          21 GMT 10/17/05 15.8N 79.9W 50 989 Tropical Storm
          03 GMT 10/18/05 15.8N 80.2W 65 987 Tropical Storm
          09 GMT 10/18/05 15.7N 80.0W 70 982 Tropical Storm
          15 GMT 10/18/05 16.5N 80.6W 75 977 Category 1 Hurricane
          21 GMT 10/18/05 16.7N 81.5W 80 970 Category 1 Hurricane
          03 GMT 10/19/05 16.8N 82.1W 110 945 Category 2 Hurricane
          05 GMT 10/19/05 16.9N 82.0W 150 901 Category 4 Hurricane
          09 GMT 10/19/05 17.2N 82.5W 175 884 Category 5 Hurricane
          15 GMT 10/19/05 17.4N 83.2W 175 882 Category 5 Hurricane

Comment

Well I'd stay

I don't know how I missed this one, ussally I'm into hurricanes and watch them even when they don't come near land. Here is some info on it, look at the pressure!
            I'm staying, see no real reason to leave. It's just the area and the after effects that are going to prove... interesting.

I watch hurricanes as well -- I'm fascinated anything nature-related (yes, even tsunamis... eerily beautiful they are). I know about the pressure drop... surprised many that the hurricane literally exploded in strength.

Comment

for those of you who are into the whole hurricane thing and like tracking them and all that good stuff check out this nifty flash

http://images.ibsys.com/sh/hurricane...hurtracker.swf

you can view all this years hurricanes as well as historic hurricanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Onimua
                I'm staying, see no real reason to leave. It's just the area and the after effects that are going to prove... interesting.

I watch hurricanes as well -- I'm fascinated anything nature-related (yes, even tsunamis... eerily beautiful they are). I know about the pressure drop... surprised many that the hurricane literally exploded in strength.
                GET OUT!!! ARE YOU INSANE! If a Category 5 hurricane hits you, there's not gonna be much of you left, let alone how much of your neighborhood is gonna be left.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  GET OUT!!! ARE YOU INSANE! If a Category 5 hurricane hits you, there's not gonna be much of you left, let alone how much of your neighborhood is gonna be left.
                  I'm not on the side of the state it's hitting first. I'm on the other side of Florida, part of the reason I'm staying. I suspect we'll be getting a 2/3 force by the time it gets where I am.

I'm safe where I am. House is quite strong.

Comment

Asuming it makes landfall near you, make sure you get some good video of it.

Comment

Is it possible to collapse/destroy a hurricane? I heard that they are creating a bomb like device to explode some kind of coolent in and around the cell. I wonder if something like this could work on a larger scale.

Comment

Asuming it makes landfall near you, make sure you get some good video of it.
                        ... wouldn't that completely compromise the point of me staying in a shuttered building?

Though I do plan on getting some footage of the aftermath, whatever it is, of the area. I should take some before shots too...

Originally posted by LEAD_WEIGHT
                        Is it possible to collapse/destroy a hurricane? I heard that they are creating a bomb like device to explode some kind of coolent in and around the cell. I wonder if something like this could work on a larger scale.
                        I heard about that as well, but it really wouldn't help. It'd just upset a natural occurance and make Nature even more pissed in my opinion.

Plus, I think part of the purpose of hurricanes is to take the wamth from the equater and spread it around (read that somewhere I think).

Comment

Plus, I think part of the purpose of hurricanes is to take the wamth from the equater and spread it around (read that somewhere I think).
                          Yes, whenever there's a hurricane, we invariably end up getting a few very warm days here in eastern Canada. This year has been especially warm because the 'canes have pushed more air our way than normal. We're looking forward to another warm spell after Wilma. Florida's loss will be our gain.

That's a terrible thing to say, cbiweb...
                          ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

I guess we do not need to see 'The Day After' happening for real.

Comment

Originally posted by LEAD_WEIGHT
                              I guess we do not need to see 'The Day After' happening for real.
                              I think it already is, just in a smaller scale...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X