Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful forums using the default vB skin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful forums using the default vB skin?

I have heard thats its best to change the default style of vB (blue and white)... I'm just wondering if there are any successful forums that use the default style?
    \

vBulletin.com

*cough* It doesn't matter really, does the style reflect your website?

Did you at least change the logo?

Comment

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/index.php

We use a pretty vanilla version of VB and we regularly have 300 or so members online at a time. Since it's a niche interest group, and the second largest railfan board on the web, I'd say it's successful...

There are a few hacks on the board, but he style itself is pretty much straight out of the (non-existent) box...

Comment

Originally posted by HUMMER
        I have heard thats its best to change the default style of vB (blue and white)... I'm just wondering if there are any successful forums that use the default style?
        They exist, but there are more unsuccessful ones than successful. Making your site distinctive is one reason for users to come back.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

PS - Doesn't it make sense that VB would choose a pleasent and usable style for the default, rather than one that you have to change for your forum to suceed.

Trust me, it's in their best interest for your forum to work out well. They try and make the software as useful as they can. The blue works well, it's nice to look at and neutral enough to not be hard on the eyes or clash with images etc.

Granted, it's not for everyone, but it's also quite usable.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
            They exist, but there are more unsuccessful ones than successful. Making your site distinctive is one reason for users to come back.
            He is correct. My site is distinctive due to the subject matter, so the look is less important. (There's not a whole lot of competing train forums out there...) If you're subject is more common, then you may well need to work harder to distinguish your forum from others.

But keep in mind that looks only go so far. Content is what brings them back!

Comment

Originally posted by HUMMER
              A forums sucess does not depends upon its design, but the content provided , although a good looking skin catches upon the first-time visitors to your forums.

People prefer to change there designs/colors for vbulletin to make themselves unique, a small change in .css can give your forums a completely new look, these changes will never affect your search engine rankings.
              TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                vBulletin.com

*cough* It doesn't matter really, does the style reflect your website?
                Yes. I can't stress enough how important a style is to the success of a website. A unique style could be the one major thing that will contribute to users coming back. There are always exceptions to that, but don't expect for yourself to be one of those exceptions. Unique and custom styles are what makes a site what it is. People won't remember the site by anything but what it looks like, because its the first thing they see, and the only thing they see on a regular basis everytime they visit your site.

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by RHarbison
                  http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/index.php

We use a pretty vanilla version of VB and we regularly have 300 or so members online at a time. Since it's a niche interest group, and the second largest railfan board on the web, I'd say it's successful...

There are a few hacks on the board, but he style itself is pretty much straight out of the (non-existent) box...
                  RHarbison, great looking site! Can you possibly refer me to the proper place where I could learn to put up image links within my site like you have done? I want to be able to put a small thumbnail under or next to certain forums...

Thanks!
                  www.clubracer.net

Skin design by: www.vbskinworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by RHarbison
                    PS - Doesn't it make sense that VB would choose a pleasent and usable style for the default, rather than one that you have to change for your forum to suceed.

Trust me, it's in their best interest for your forum to work out well. They try and make the software as useful as they can. The blue works well, it's nice to look at and neutral enough to not be hard on the eyes or clash with images etc.

Granted, it's not for everyone, but it's also quite usable.
                    I think that is a good point. At least for my forum, that is what I want. Something very simple and easy to look at. I have a simple banner up, and what hopefully will keep people coming back is the great information on the site. I've seen similar forums that were all jazzed up with flashing banners and tons of images, and it really didnt impress me (for the style I needed). Plus, most guys surf at work and I didnt want to have a super flashy site that might get them more attention than they needed....
                    www.clubracer.net

Skin design by: www.vbskinworks.com

Comment

I atually like the vBulliten skin what comes with the forum, I think it's really complex it's just cool !

Comment

http://3.8mustang.com

Comment

I like the simplicity and lack of heavy graphics in the default style, but I don't want my site to look just like every other vBulletin site.

So I went with a red theme for my default style. (It's a Honda motorcycle site, and Red is the Honda color anyway.) But, I have a black, and blue style also available for users to choose.
                          vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

I'm a believer of real content is the key to a sucessful forum. So, I use the default skin
                            So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Thanks for everyones input...I like how simple the defualt theme is...its not cluttered with unnecessary garabage.

I might just change the overall color of my fourm from a blue to a green.

www.orchidgeeks.com/forum
                              \

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X