Music Copyright Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Copyright Question

This question has been on my mind for the longest time, and I have searched and searched for an answer, and I have yet to find one.

I am familiar with the rule that you can make a backup copy of a music CD that you own, solely for your own you. You cannot sell it, loan it out, etc.

I have two questions:

1) Can we put the backup copy of our music on our computer, and no where else?

2) MP3 players are everywhere. Is it legal to put your owned CD's on there? Would this go against the rule of having a backup CD for your owned music CD's? And if you did put your files onto an MP3 player, would you not be able to have a backup CD since the files are on the MP3 player?

I'd ask that you try not to give your opinions on the matter, but rather mention what you know regarding what you can and cannot do.

If you can add anything to this subject, please do. Thank you...

Come to think of it, is it legal to buy MP3's off of things such as iTunes without owning to the CD?

Comment

yes to all

Comment

Originally posted by Zonex
        yes to all
        May I ask you to expound on your answer? How do you know this?

Comment

I hope you don't mind if I jump in here and point you over to a fantastic article (I would say that wouldn't I???) on all aspects of Music Copyright etc.

It is what I term my "tMP Copyright FAQ and Information Fact Sheet"

Hope it helps... please let me know if it does.
          John

Comment

How about allowing guests to view or giving us a login

Comment

While I'm not condoning illegal activity here, honestly, who would find out? To begin with, a computer is private property, and authorities would need a search warrant, just like anything else. Secondly, if you buy a song off of iTunes, it's legal...
              Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz
                Secondly, if you buy a song off of iTunes, it's legal...
                Because the money is going to the artist/publisher/etc.

Comment

Not all of it. I would assume something like $0.75 does, and the other $0.25 goes to Apple, naturally.
                  Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                    How about allowing guests to view or giving us a login
                    Damn.... I thought I had enabled guest viewing... sorry.

You should be able to view and read the article now, sorry for the mistoooook...

PS: please let me know what you think of the article and note I have enabled guest rating of articles... please would you feel free to exercise your priviledge. Thanks...
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by Loyalty4Life
                      May I ask you to expound on your answer? How do you know this?
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Home_Recording_Act

what i meant by yes to all is you CAN do
                      one of ur questions needed a cant to be true
                      Last edited by Zonex; Wed 28th Sep '05, 6:31pm.

Comment

TMM, your link just talked about basically music sheets and band-related things. I am talking about what we can and cannot do with our own music CD's. I just need a straightforward answer, and some proof of the answer is always nice, as well.

Zonex, I don't understand your post. Not to be rude, but if you could use proper grammar and sentence structure it would make it much easier to read and comprehend.

Comment

im not writing a school paper
                          im posting on a message board

sorry that you are unable to understand writing without proper grammer and sentence structure

Comment

Originally posted by Zonex
                            im not writing a school paper
                            im posting on a message board

sorry that you are unable to understand writing without proper grammer and sentence structure
                            If your post is for the majority difficult to understand because of your structure and grammar, then I think it'd be a good idea to fix a few things. I'm not looking to make you mad. Just an honest suggestion.

Comment

Hey loyalty4life

I asked this question of some copyright experts over on my site and one person commented;

I am familiar with the rule that you can make a backup copy of a music CD that you own, solely for your own you.
                              ... to which the expert replied;

Not true! The majority of CD's carry the warning:
                              Copyright subsists in all recordings issued under this label. Any unauthorised broadcasting, public performance,
                              copying or re-recording, lending or hiring in any manner whatsoever will consititute infringement of such copyright.
                              Legally, he should seek permission from the Copyright holder (usually the company that recorded it) of the CD before he can make any copies - but when was the last time anyone did that eh!
                              Hope this helps sir...
                              John

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X