Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Site Splash Pages - Useful or Detrimental?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Splash Pages - Useful or Detrimental?

Do you think "Splash Pages" on websites are useful or detrimental to the development of a site.

I can't decide whether or not to have one.

If someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to web-design could give me their thoughts, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks...
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

For the most part, detrimental. ESPECIALLY for a messageboard where users will be revisiting the site over and over. A splash page would just be another annoying delay or pointless click for the revisiting viewer.

If it was a brochure site -- the kinda site where you just wanna show off your product or design, etc -- then maybe. (Even then I personally wouldn't have a splash page.) But since you're posting here at vb.com, I'm assuming you're running vb on your site.

Prioritize things that the users want. Design your site for purpose and functionality. People nowadays are impatient. We live in a world of instant messages and cell phones...people want things as soon as possible and with as little effort as possible.

Comment

There is such a thing called a bookmark. =]

Most users won't bother to remember your website address, as sad as that may be, they will just bookmark your site for easy use.

Comment

Splash pages, if done correctly, can be a good thing.

Comment

Detrimental.

And I have one. :/
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by Incendium
            There is such a thing called a bookmark. =]

Most users won't bother to remember your website address, as sad as that may be, they will just bookmark your site for easy use.
            You might want to ask your members for feedback on that to be sure.

Just ask yourself this: what's the purpose of my splash page? Does it do more than just "look cool?"
            Last edited by ragintajin; Mon 26 Sep '05, 8:31pm.

Comment

To me, the only use for splash pages or Flash is for any games you may have on the site or a tutorial. Other then that they're useless as a bull in a china shop. I know when I hit a splash page, I move on...
              Kim

Comment

If someone has a website that is very content-rich and is made up of many different areas...a functional, yet attractive splash page can tie it all together.

Let's say your website consists of a:
                - store
                - directory
                - forum
                - chat
                - articles
                - news
                - links
                - downloads

An attractive, yet functional splash page could tie this all together in a way that is actually improved from the addition of the page. If all you have is a a bulletin board. Then nah, no point to it. But a page like the one I am describing here is the type people would "want" to bookmark.

Comment

Yeah I'm talking about a splash page for a site, not just a board.
                  "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by free thinker
                    If someone has a website that is very content-rich and is made up of many different areas...a functional, yet attractive splash page can tie it all together.

Let's say your website consists of a:
                    - store
                    - directory
                    - forum
                    - chat
                    - articles
                    - news
                    - links
                    - downloads

An attractive, yet functional splash page could tie this all together in a way that is actually improved from the addition of the page. If all you have is a a bulletin board. Then nah, no point to it. But a page like the one I am describing here is the type people would "want" to bookmark.
                    In this case a splash page would be very unnecessary, not to mention redundant. A decent front page is all you need there.
                    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

Personally, i hate them. The first thing I look for is the "Skip Intro" button. If it takes too long for that to load, I usually leave the site.
                      Cliff
                      PathLabTalk
                      Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

Originally posted by cbiweb
                        In this case a splash page would be very unnecessary, not to mention redundant. A decent front page is all you need there.
                        I must be confused about what exactly a splash page is. I thought it was the same thing as a front page. Is it not?

Comment

Detrimental

Comment

Originally posted by free thinker
                            I must be confused about what exactly a splash page is. I thought it was the same thing as a front page. Is it not?
                            Brian's site is a solid example:

http://www.starcraftsector.com = splash page

http://www.starcraftsector.com/main.shtml = front page

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                              Brian's site is a solid example:

http://www.starcraftsector.com = splash page

http://www.starcraftsector.com/main.shtml = front page
                              Oh crap...I was confused.

Splash pages suck and they are detrimental. Just get a good front page. Thanks for the clarification Andrew.

Hey Limpy, you should add a poll to this thread...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X