• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tinjon
    replied
    if you plan to buy nano, STOP!
    read this first and then decide. .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4286294.stm

this news is not coming from some apple haters, its from an impartial third party news.

some quotes from the news.

But some fans are beginning to question whether the machine is too fragile for everyday use. Owners are complaining about cracked, scratched or inexplicably failing screens, sometimes within hours of buying the machine....

"I pulled my iPod out and my heart dropped. The LCD was half destroyed, but there is no visible scratch or mark on the outside of the iPod," he wrote.
    Another irate customer said "If I had done something to damage my iPod I wouldn't be as angry as I am because it would be my fault. But I haven't done anything," he wrote. ....

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    It wouldn't surprise me of decoding restricted WMA files requires hardware access in portable music players.
    As far as I am aware, it is handled in Firmware. It is similar technology as Apple uses for Fairplay. Both should be able to be software decoded.

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    I don't have anything wrong with the iPod per se... I don't like the fact that you are restricted to one online music store but the hardware itself is pretty solid. All my purchased music is in WMA format so the iPod is not an option at this time. If I were to purchase one, it would require hours upon hours of copying music to CDs and re-encoding them to MP3 at high bit rates to try and compensate for the corruption introduced by transferring it to CD-Audio.
    It would be interesting if third-party firmware was developed that would allow playback of both formats (restricted AAC and WMA), although I seriously doubt that will happen. It wouldn't surprise me of decoding restricted WMA files requires hardware access in portable music players.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    If those who "hate" iPods are trying to instill buyer's remorse, you're failing, at least for me.
    I don't have anything wrong with the iPod per se... I don't like the fact that you are restricted to one online music store but the hardware itself is pretty solid. All my purchased music is in WMA format so the iPod is not an option at this time. If I were to purchase one, it would require hours upon hours of copying music to CDs and re-encoding them to MP3 at high bit rates to try and compensate for the corruption introduced by transferring it to CD-Audio.

Leave a comment:

• Kathy
    replied
    Originally posted by Deviant++
    Ipods are not worth the money. Only social fad and I wouldnt be surprised kids buy it because they dont know any better or just want one because everyone has one.

Irivers kick ipods in every sense possible for the same price.
    You quoted me so I need to return the favor.

This made me laugh out loud. I'm probably older than most here at vb.com.

I'm 49....but love the notion that I might be a kid just buying it because of the social fad of it all.

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevster
    That's why I've waited patiently for 5 folk to complete offers at *********.com so that I can get my freebie!
    Exactly what I did.

Got me a 20GB iPod, a 40GB iPod Photo, and a 1GB iPod Shuffle.

Leave a comment:

• Kayn
    replied
    Well, I have a 20 GB iPod, it has every song I own on it, and I'm very satisfied with it.

It's quick and easy to use. I'm sure there's other mp3 players that have more features and whatever, but yeah.

I don't quite follow the whole, "Don't buy and iPod because I don't like them" mindset here. If you don't want one, don't buy one. If you do want one, buy one. What's the problem?

Leave a comment:

• jamesyfx
    replied
    So don't buy an iPod if you don't like it.

The fact of the matter is that most iPod users, myself included, are very happy with their purchase. If those who "hate" iPods are trying to instill buyer's remorse, you're failing, at least for me.
    I don't see much wrong with iPods in a technical sense, it's just the price thats overboard.

You could buy a proper hi-fi for the price of an iPod. >.>

Leave a comment:

• cirisme
    replied

The fact of the matter is that most iPod users, myself included, are very happy with their purchase. If those who "hate" iPods are trying to instill buyer's remorse, you're failing, at least for me.
    Precisely.

It's really just a preference one way or another. I do not see what the big deal is.

Leave a comment:

• TheComputerGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Blaminator
    I wrote a whole article on why ipods suck, and even ran a site about it for a while
    What a waste of your life.

Ipods are awesome

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    I looked at many other products, and for my above reasons, have decided to go with the iPod (or nano.) Believe me, the Zen Touch and iRiver H10 are great products, but, as I've already mentioned, for me, it was all about portability and ease-of-use. I don't have a lot of music, so I don't need a lot of space. (Even 4 gigs is overkill for me.)

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Blaminator
    replied
    I wrote a whole article on why ipods suck, and even ran a site about it for a while

Leave a comment:

• Scootertaj
    replied
    For $299, I could get a 20 gig iPod with a Click Wheel
    You could get a Zen Nomad 60GB for around the same price.
    I really don't see why everyone loves iPod's.
    Anyway, I love my Zen Mico and I would suggest to anyone buying an mp3 player to look at other products than iPod's.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    In my experience, iRiver has a somewhat complex user interface. For $299, I could get a 20 gig iPod with a Click Wheel (which I find very easy to use), or, for the same price, I could get the 20 gig iRiver H10. While I do agree that iRiver has some great things going for it, for me, I just didn't like the interface, size or weight of the iRiver. I was going to get it, but I just think the iPod is more for me, just because it fits my needs better.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X