why you should NOT buy an ipod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesyfx
    I'd never get an iPod, for the price alone.
    That's why I've waited patiently for 5 folk to complete offers at *********.com so that I can get my freebie!
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
    - "Quick Route" Interface...
    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Originally posted by Bema Jinn
      i bought my Advent 128mb MP3 player about a year ago for 50 and it's done nothing but been great to me.

store on average about 30 songs on it. i know it's not a lot compared to all these new fanged things, but who needs 32165498732 songs for a 10 minute journey.

get bored of songs? drag n' drop onto it via USB support. i might be wrong but doesn't the ipod need loads of bloated software to put music on?
      Have a 128MB Oracom player just now. Had 100 songs on it for going on holiday recently (mixture of mine and the kids') and worked just dandly. Mate had his iPod and a sound dock with him for poolside/apartments in the evening and it suited us great.

Horses for courses.........
      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
      -
      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
      - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
      - "Quick Route" Interface...
      - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        I haven't found a DRM policy yet to be overly restrictive so I usually don't care about them. I don't need the same song on more than 3 computers and I don't need to be able to copy it to hundreds of devices. I can burn the music as CD-A if I really need to lose the DRM but haven't even worried about it yet. None of it has impacted my lifestyle except in the fact that it has made music and videos more readily available over the Internet and given me more choice in the long run.
        And thats cool. The DRM policy at the moment isn't overly restrictive. I haven't personally witnessed any restriction problems with iPods/iTunes with any of the clients I support.

But every single DRM policy out there will have a clause to say that they can alter or adjust the terms and conditions upon which DRM is based. It's a moving target, and what it is today doesn't necessarily mean that it's tomorrows policy. That is the most worrying thing.

But, I don't want to take over this thread - rightly or wrongly it's my reason NOT to buy an iPod.

On a side note, I'm sure there must be a market out there for extremely small and portable computers or playback devices which are not restrictive. If not, it's a nieche market someone needs to move into.
        HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
        -
        Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          No one said you should be forced to use it. I on the other hand don't want a dozen applications installed on my machine to widen my music purchasing options. One centralized application is what I want. Windows Media Player makes this possible for everything but iTunes, therefore iTunes doesn't get my money. Since online purchasing has come about, my wife and I have probably tripled the spending on music. There is quite a market out there. More choice would be better though.

Like WMP or not, I don't care. Personally, I don't like iTunes and feel the interface is ugly. You are right, each to their own.
          I like iTunes on my mac.. I won't install it on windows, winamp gets the job done well.

Comment

Can add this to the reasons not to buy an ipod nano

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...no_scratching/

I got a friend an ipod for their birthday and they backed up 15gb worth of mp3's from a laptop that was about to be wiped and rebuilt and of course first time connected it up to her pc all the music went, luckily hadnt wiped the laptop before then but would be nice for some warning it was going to do that (and yes know now can set it not to do that) damn thing also crashed 4 times in a week and now its stopped charging.

As for me, happy with my micro zen

Comment

I have to disagree. I've seen quite a few people at my school now with the nano, and there's is in perfect shape. If you take care of it and keep it in a case, it will be fine. And even if it scratches, big deal. As long as it plays music.
              Forums

Comment

But for that price?

If its "as long as it plays music", then why not get an equivalent for like £40 - £60?

Comment

I just bought an ipod. Thrilled. Very pleased with the features and how I'll be able to use it.

But then I'm an apple gal.
                  Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy
                    I just bought an ipod. Thrilled. Very pleased with the features and how I'll be able to use it.

But then I'm an apple gal.
                    What kind of an iPod did you get?

Be honest, the Nano swept you off your feet, didn't it?
                    TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

The Nano is awesome, I admit. But I bought a regular Ipod (20 gb) because i need it to carry photos in addition to music and be able to show a slide show presentation attached to a monitor.

And....I want to be able to listen to audio books in addition to music when I work out.

Comment

Cool. I really am liking the looks of the Nano. A huge appeal for me would be the fact that you can view your calendar in a nice crisp color display.

I have to admit, I'd snap up an Apple PDA in a heart beat if they made one.
                        TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

I plan on using my ipod as my organizer too. It comes with ical which my laptop and my office computer uses for calendar and events. Has reminders, alerts, places for details of the day.

Comment

Guess you will all be upgrading next week to this
                            http://www.quacked.co.uk/index.php?do=art&id=1353

Comment

There is a battery replacement service under support for the iPod on the Apple site. It's a $59 service.
                              http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/
                              It's all the way at the bottom.
                              Let the flames begin.

Comment

I use a H340 Iriver - I wouldn't use an Ipod as

a: It's apple
                                b: Doesn't support OGG files
                                c: Short battery life
                                d: Poor sound quality
                                http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X