No announcement yet.

why you should NOT buy an ipod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd never get an iPod, for the price alone.

The design is crap too.. but thats just apple.

My Creative mp3 player has excellent battery life. I've been using it for 2 weeks solid on this single AAA battery, and its only JUST gotten down to the last "bar" on the LCD display.

Its good to navigate too.. you switch songs without even looking at it. It's got a simple wheel that you just flick with your thumb to change the track.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
      *shrugs* personally I've never cared that much, My MP3's are just that, mine, 99.999% of them are legal and if apple did do such a thing you'd see their revenue go down the tubes so fast

I really don't care about DRM, its never effected me, and I've always found away around it if i do own it
      Of course, and I agree with what you are saying. DRM hasn't affected many people yet - but thats because at the moment the industry is ensuring that it is built into as much hardware as possible under the guise of "Trustworthy Computing". People buy the hardware and it becomes common place for everthing to be bundled with DRM because its not being (ab)used to it's full potential by the software side of things.

Once the rope noose is around your neck (DRM), the media companies will start tightening it to gain back some control over distrubution and make more profits.

So you may not care about DRM right now, today. But when you cannot play your old CDs, legal MP3 collection or home movies on your new shiney Pentium 5 Processor with MS Vista running (or OSXX on your G7 PowerMAC) you might change your mind.
      HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
      -
      Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

I bought one already.

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
          Of course, and I agree with what you are saying. DRM hasn't affected many people yet - but thats because at the moment the industry is ensuring that it is built into as much hardware as possible under the guise of "Trustworthy Computing". People buy the hardware and it becomes common place for everthing to be bundled with DRM because its not being (ab)used to it's full potential by the software side of things.

Once the rope noose is around your neck (DRM), the media companies will start tightening it to gain back some control over distrubution and make more profits.

So you may not care about DRM right now, today. But when you cannot play your old CDs, legal MP3 collection or home movies on your new shiney Pentium 5 Processor with MS Vista running (or OSXX on your G7 PowerMAC) you might change your mind.
          I don't use Pentiums much, I can also use linux and I highly doubt anything of such a powerful nature is going to be implimented.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritterz
            I bought one already.

Me too. I got me an iPod mini (silver) which matches my car's color.. Together with iTrip (mini) I can enjoy my favorite music when doing 155 miles per hour on the Autobahn

The navigation bothered me too until I got used to it..
            That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
              I don't use Pentiums much, I can also use linux and I highly doubt anything of such a powerful nature is going to be implimented.
              AMD are also in the Trustworthy Computing Initiative - so all chips soon will be DRM enabled, including those available for Macs. If its implemented at a hardware level you less of a chance of being able to avoid it at the software level.

The hint towards the Pentium Whatever or OSXX was to indicate that all new technology will start to include DRM style functionality. I'm not trying to predict the speed or versions of chips. I'm predicting (with many other thousands of people out there) that your rights on a computer that you own are going to be taken away from you soon.

Just like with the iPod, but because its got lots of geek coolness factor, looks shiney, people ignore the DRM side of things. As intended most probably.
              HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
              -
              Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

I haven't found a DRM policy yet to be overly restrictive so I usually don't care about them. I don't need the same song on more than 3 computers and I don't need to be able to copy it to hundreds of devices. I can burn the music as CD-A if I really need to lose the DRM but haven't even worried about it yet. None of it has impacted my lifestyle except in the fact that it has made music and videos more readily available over the Internet and given me more choice in the long run.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by ragintajin
                  iPod haters tend to ignore the soul of the product -- iTunes.
                  Apple would be better off if they released an iTunes plugin and AAC Codec for Windows Media Player or even Winamp for that matter. I use Windows Media Player on my computer because I get access to a ten online music and video stores right from within the application as well as access to many content sources such as Live365 and XM Online without having to open a separate browser window. With stores such as Napster, Musicmatch, and MusicNow in WMP, I don't have to download an install their software. I can simply install a plugin into WMP and access it all from one common interface.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Apple would be better off if they released an iTunes plugin and AAC Codec for Windows Media Player or even Winamp for that matter
                    I think you mean a Fairplay decoder, not an AAC codec. AAC is just MP4, anyone can use AAC independent of Apple. Fairplay is Apple's DRM in AAC.

I can simply install a plugin into WMP and access it all from one common interface.
                    That's nice... I guess.
                    TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Me too. I got me an iPod mini (silver)
                      I got a iPod Mini silver, I don't use it that often. When I was at School with it I droped it and I smashed the case so I bought another one as my ganantue ran out.

Comment

Originally posted by cirisme
                        I think you mean a Fairplay decoder, not an AAC codec. AAC is just MP4, anyone can use AAC independent of Apple. Fairplay is Apple's DRM in AAC.
                        Hmmm.. I have an MP4 codec on my machine and it will not play an AAC file even one without DRM attached. States it is an unknown filetype.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Dunno what your problem is, because AAC is just a part of Mpeg and isn't Apple specific. (though, fair play is, of course) Both Mpeg-3 and Mpeg-4 have parts known as AAC, though iPod/iTunes uses the MP4 version.

This site claims to have a bunch of free AAC codecs. Might try that.

Comment

I got into reading more about FairPlay, and I found it interesting that Wikipedia says any app that makes use of Quicktime can play Fairplay files. Interesting.

Apparently Real Player will play FairPlay files. This certainly makes a Winamp/Windows Media Player plug in possible if there are developers out there willing to make one. Though, I personally wouldn't have much use for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              Apple would be better off if they released an iTunes plugin and AAC Codec for Windows Media Player or even Winamp for that matter. I use Windows Media Player on my computer because I get access to a ten online music and video stores right from within the application as well as access to many content sources such as Live365 and XM Online without having to open a separate browser window. With stores such as Napster, Musicmatch, and MusicNow in WMP, I don't have to download an install their software. I can simply install a plugin into WMP and access it all from one common interface.
                              I absolutely loathe Windows Media Player; the last thing I want is to be forced to use it. I prefer the elegant simplicity of iTunes instead.

I should add "each to his own" in my signature.
                              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                                I absolutely loathe Windows Media Player; the last thing I want is to be forced to use it. I prefer the elegant simplicity of iTunes instead.
                                No one said you should be forced to use it. I on the other hand don't want a dozen applications installed on my machine to widen my music purchasing options. One centralized application is what I want. Windows Media Player makes this possible for everything but iTunes, therefore iTunes doesn't get my money. Since online purchasing has come about, my wife and I have probably tripled the spending on music. There is quite a market out there. More choice would be better though.

Like WMP or not, I don't care. Personally, I don't like iTunes and feel the interface is ugly. You are right, each to their own.

Wayne Luke

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X