• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why you should NOT buy an ipod

- poor battery life
    - fragile body
    - irreplaceable battery
    - crappy navigation. you have to take it out of your pocket everytime you want to change volume or skip song because you don't know what you're pressing (if not looking).

the shortest distance from one point to another are lines, not circular. so you're spending more time looking for songs using the wheel navigation.

customer support hasn't been very impressive. my friend had very unpleasant experience with his 20gb ipod.

- less value for money, there are much better alternatives that are cheaper
    - still no support for WMA (correct me if i'm wrong on this one)
    - no built in mic? no FM? these features have become norm of digital players now yet you'll find none in ipods.

simply put, i wouldn't buy it. not today, not tomorrow. period.
    NO
    43.48%
    yes
    56.52%

I wouldn't hold lack of FM broadcast recieving against it. Broadcast radio has pretty much been devastated by the RIAA, Big Business and advertising.

Now, if you said lack of XM satellite receiving then I would agree. One of these media player companies really needs to add in XM receiving. First one to do it gets my next purchase.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I happen to like the ipod, and quite a few of my friends have them and enjoy them alot

Comment

speaking of xm, I heard samsung's mini flash players will have it. cool stuff. i might get that.
        40+ hours of disposeable (single AA) battery life with xm, fm, line-in, built in mic?
        must buy!

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/sa...-unveiled.html
        (an xm compatible player, not the one i was talking about)
        Last edited by tinjon; Thu 22 Sep '05, 3:45pm.

Comment

for me..
          My mobilephone can do just as great.
          if space is a matter well, i wont need a few GB for just music...

Comment

i bought my Advent 128mb MP3 player about a year ago for £50 and it's done nothing but been great to me.

store on average about 30 songs on it. i know it's not a lot compared to all these new fanged things, but who needs 32165498732 songs for a 10 minute journey.

get bored of songs? drag n' drop onto it via USB support. i might be wrong but doesn't the ipod need loads of bloated software to put music on?

Comment

I also resisted an ipod purchase until the nano came out. There is nothing else like it on the market and it fits my needs. I am pissed it dosen't have a removable battery but then I can't really imagine it not being replaced in 2 years anyway. Its just been shipped from Asia (i forget where) and is currently in the Neatherlands.
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk
              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

I like the Geil iBall Mp3 players

http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=61

I'd choose it over the iPod anyday

It's eyecandy for the ears
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Hm... went to put "Yes" but wasn't used to the whole No being being put before the Yes (as usually it's a Yes/No deal, not a No/Yes deal).

I already have one, and it is actually my second (mini, blue 6GB).
                  Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

I know my ideal device will have the following, it will be due use - for music and for digital photography:

- 100GB
                    - removable battery
                    - decent battery life [especially for reading from memory cards]
                    - compact flash + SD slots
                    - bluetooth
                    - radio

That would be the perfect dual use "digital jump" and music system. My guess is this time next year

I currently have a 20GB archos that does the same sort of thing but something has gone rather wrong with it - the screen is runied it seems.
                    Christopher Padfield
                    Web Based Helpdesk
                    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by tinjon
                      - poor battery life
                      - fragile body
                      - irreplaceable battery
                      - crappy navigation. you have to take it out of your pocket everytime you want to change volume or skip song because you don't know what you're pressing (if not looking).

- no built in mic? no FM? these features have become norm of digital players now yet you'll find none in ipods.

simply put, i wouldn't buy it. not today, not tomorrow. period.
                      1. It's quite solid, especially the nano, apparently.
                      2. Subjective. I get many hours of my 20 GB.
                      3. Not technically true, there are third-party replacements.
                      4. Completely wrong. iPod's success is often attributed to its UI. You can use the iPod Remote for changing volume, track, pausing, etc. in a tiny form factor that can clip on your clothing.
                      5. It is cheaper per capacity, true, but judging an alternative as "better" is subjective.
                      6. I don't care about WMA, all my music is WAV, MP3, or AAC. I use iTMS for paid music, no other services. I use iTunes for storing all of my music in the first place.
                      7. The headphone jack can be used as a microphone jack. Why would I want FM radio if I have 20 GB of portable music?

I will now remove the gun from your head forcing you to buy it. Then again, each to his own.
                      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

- poor battery life I listen to mine for an hour every day and I don't need to charge it for four days.
                        - fragile body Dropped mine on my asphalt driveway and it's fine aside from a scratch.
                        - irreplaceable battery The battery lasts a long time.
                        - crappy navigation. you have to take it out of your pocket everytime you want to change volume or skip song because you don't know what you're pressing (if not looking). I fail to see how this is difficult. You either spin the dial or you press a button going either left or right. It's not rocket science.

the shortest distance from one point to another are lines, not circular. so you're spending more time looking for songs using the wheel navigation.

customer support hasn't been very impressive. my friend had very unpleasant experience with his 20gb ipod.

- no built in mic? no FM? these features have become norm of digital players now yet you'll find none in ipods. All moot points to me.

Comment

I was just researching some mp3 players and it came down to 3 choices: iPod nano, Dell Pocket DJ, and a Zen Micro.

I then narrowed it down to DJ and Micro and
                          compared all categories (Battery Life, Song Capacity, Radio?, Voice Recorder?, Touch Pad, Removable Disk, Supported Music Services / Management, Calendar?, Weight, Size, Audio Support, Price)

I found that the Zen Micro beat the Dell DJ and iPod in almost all
                          categories, so I bought a 5GB Black one

poor battery life I listen to mine for an hour every day and I don't need to charge it for four days

That's 4 hours... I could listen it it for an hour each day and not have to recharge it for nearly 12..

Comment

I've listened to my mini for like... 3-5 hours a day, and don't need to recharge it for about three or four days (providing I don't waste energy, like having the backlight on when there's plenty of light around, turning off the "clicking" sound when you scroll, etc.).

Lasted me well on my trip from Europe and back, and that was I think a 12+ hour flight.
                            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

check out this "cube"s.
                              very sexy!

http://www.mobibluamerica.com/
                              Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X